The World We Live In

Chapter 15

"My queen," Loki said, walking up behind Matilda. She was sitting anxiously staring at the screens displaying the surface above. They were close to New York Harbor and had yet to be discovered. That was relieving. Being in a small space was driving her insane. Although she could now control her sixth sense, she had nothing to do. Loki had felt that it was beneath his queen. That meant Matilda had nothing, to distract her.

"My king," she responded.

"We are near are destination. Are you prepared for what you have to do?"

"I am. It'll take all my focus, so you better keep the Avengers at bay," she said, a hard edge in her voice.

"I believe that's your job," he said menacingly.

It didn't faze her. "My job is to keep them out. I can't do that however if I'm distracted."

"Then you better focus."

"It's odd for me, focusing. I've spent so many years, needing distractions that keeping the focus on one thing is difficult."

"You better learn and you better do it quickly."

Matilda had had it with Loki's tone and slammed him against the wall of the sub. He couldn't move. He hated that despite the fact she was under his control, she was still stronger. She got right up in his face. "You may be my King, but I am your queen and you will respect that!" she barked at him.

"My queen, but without me, you are nothing, not a queen, no better than a mortal."

She slammed him against the wall again. "Remember that those mortals, mortals and your brother defeated you, and they will do it again if not for me. Then last time you tried to rule you had a the chitauri. Now you have me and that is all."

"Are you stupid? I have an army."

"You have an army of humans. You know just as well as I do, that they are disposable. In fact if they manage to survive, I will be extremely surprised." She dropped him. "You may be king, but a king is nothing without his queen. Just consider yourself lucky that my loyalty to you will never fade."