The World We Live In

Chapter 16

Natasha had been kept in a dark cell for hours. She didn't know where she was. All she knew was that they were moving and that the German man and his team were in charge of watching her. She thought Matilda and Loki were nearby, but she couldn't be sure where. She also thought that they were going to act soon. That meant she was going to have to act soon as well.

She had been working on that, planning her escape. At the request of Matilda, she was no longer in the metal, which she assumed was adamantium. She was tied up with rope, which she had already moved enough that she could easily slip out of.

She was just waiting for her chance.

The German man walked in again. He had a water bottle in his hand.

"What did I do to you?" she asked him.

He didn't miss a beat. "You killed my son."

"How long ago?" she asked.

"Five years."

"What was he working on?"

"What do you care?" he asked.

"Honestly, I don't," she said, "I've got a lot of red in my ledger and a lot of people after me. I just wonder sometimes, why they come. Lives, don't mean much to me, not even your son's."

The German man got right up in her face. "What position are you in to talk to me like this? You are but a sad little girl, who got caught trying to play with the big boys. Look where that got you. Look!"

"Look where it go you," she said. With that, she head butted the man. He stumbled back. She stood and slid out of her ties. The guy came at her, but she dodged it and swept his legs out from under him.

His crownies came in guns drawn. She ducked under one and grabbed it, sending the ended of it into the guys face. The guys were in full on military gear, bullet proof vests and all. The second guy went to shoot her, but she used the first one as a shield. She pushed him into the second guy and ran.

She figured out she was on a sub, and went looking for the control room. It was being guarded by three guys. The first one was pacing up and down the corridor leading to the room. She tucked herself into a crevice. When the guy walked past, she grabbed onto one of the exposed pipes above her and shot out her legs, wrapping them around the guy's neck. Once he was in her little hiding spot and out of the view of the other's she let go and dropped. She quickly grabbed his neck and twisted. With a crack it was broken and the guy was dead. She searched him for anything useful to her and acquired two pistols, some ammo, a knife, and a flash bang.

She threw the flash bang down the hall. Hurriedly the other guards ran to investigate. She hopped up on the bar again and swung, kicking the first one, and taking him down and shot the second one in the neck. She pistol whipped the first one and stole his AK 47.

It wasn't really her style, but she had changed her plan and it then became necessary. With the guards dispatched, she headed to the room and banged on the door frantically. When it was pulled open, she kicked it the rest of the way in and shot the first guy, who had aimed a gun at her. She held the rest at gun point. "You're going to tell me what I want to know. You're going to tell me what I want to know, and you're gonna send out a message for me," she said. Matilda was a spy, not a soldier. Marching right into a battle wasn't what she was used to, but she already knew from dealing with both Matilda and Loki, nothing was ever what she was used to.

•••


"WE GOT SOMETHING!" Tony yelled. Everyone came running over to the screen he and Bruce were sitting at.

The screen showed Natasha looking battered and tired on some sort of ship. "Loki and Matilda are in the harbor. They've got a fleet of sub and are going to launch their attack today. You have to stop them." There was a shout and gun fire. Natasha turned and fired, and then the screen went black.

"Avengers," Fury said, "suit up!"