Spellbound

Angels

When Carly woke in the morning she couldn't figure out why she was so warm. Slowly, she opened her eyes and nearly jumped at the sight of Dean's face so close to hers. She hadn't expected him to sleep next to her all night. Her surprise turned to admiring his facial features; his strong jaw-line, the freckles on his cheeks and the bridge of his nose and the curves of his lips, which practically called out for her to touch them, but she knew better and didn't want to wake him.

Carly closed her eyes and took a deep breath, 'You aren't here to fall in love silly girl. You are only here to help.' She slowly exhaled and opened her eyes she met Dean's green eyes and had to blink herself back into reality.

He smiled at her sleepily, "Morning."

She smiled in return, "Morning."

Dean rubbed sleep from his eyes and stood from the bed. He disappeared into the bathroom, leaving Carly to over her face and groan. She laid there for a few more minutes, before getting packed. She sat on the edge of the bed checking her emails, when one caught her attention:

"Carly,
I know we haven't talking in quite some time, but we need your help. My father-in-law believes he has a cursed object in his possession and they aren't entirely sure how to go about managing it. If you can, he resides in Alberquerque, New Mexico; or if you know someone who can help.

Thank you,
Mike"


Carly stared at the screen, re-reading the email when Dean emerged from the bathroom. He saw her expression and immediately narrowed his eyes, "Everything okay?"

Carly snapped from her daze, "Huh? Oh, I just got an email from an estranged family member..."

"Oh."

"Says his father-in-law has a cursed item in his house. Doesn't really state why it's cursed though.."

Dean watched her and tugged a shirt on his body, "Where are they located?"

"New Mexico."

He nodded and after a few minutes spoke, "Alright, well we'll head out as soon as possible," Dean noted the look on her face, "I'm serious. Family comes first, no matter what happened between you all."

Carly finished gathering their things while Dean checked out of the motel. They met at the Impala and started their way out of town.

They stopped for food after a while and Dean interrogated her, "So, estranged family. Why?"

Carly groaned, "Stupidity. My mom's brother didn't approve of the whole other entities thing; also he said it ruined his life, so I, and my grandparents were treated like the crazy ones for believing and having the ability. My grandfather was the only man known to actually be able to excrete actual exctoplasim. None of that fake cheese-cloth crap; and I saw it with my own eyes."

Dean's jaw dropped, "You're joking..."

She shook her head, "I swear on my life, and their spirits. It was pretty gross at the time. It was like a thick black goo, type substance."

Dean dropped his gaze, "Do you, do you ever see them?"

Carly shrugged, "Every now and then they've managed to get through to me. Bits and pieces sometimes; honestly, I think they avoid me cause they know I'll ask too much."

Dean nodded, "I wish I had the chance to talk to mine at least..."

Carly frowned at his tone, "Her name's Mary, right?"

He looked up at her, his eyes narrowing.

"Yeah.."

"I've actually spoken with her before.. the night before you showed up at my doorstep, well in my bathroom, but still. She's very sweet and worries about you and Sam a lot," She caught the loathing look Dean sent her, and she immediately stopped talking, "I'm sorry."

He waved her off and set his burger back on to the plate, "I'll be right back." He stood and turned away from the table. She watched him disappear into the bathroom.

It took Dean a while to return and Carly could tell she had upset him, "Dean, listen..."

He held up his hand to silence her, "There's no need to apologize, but we need to hit the road." He threw a few dollars onto the table and moved towards the exit, and Carly slowly followed him.

Back in the Impala, the ride was quiet, the tension between them heavy. Carly glanced over at him, but he didn't look away from the road. After a while, she stopped trying to make him look at her and fell asleep.

x x x x

When Carly woke, the time on her phone read 7:10 AM and the car was parked at a gas station. She sat up slowly and checked her surroundings. Outside the window, it looked like any nomral station, except all that was lacking was people. Cautiously, she exited the car and withdrew her gun.

She crept toward the entrance of the store and winced when the overhead bell chimed, and she paused in her tracks. She confirmed she was alone and slowly continued deeper into the store. Suddenly, she felt a tug at her pant leg and had to hold in a scream, but trained her weapon towards the ground where Dean sat, his hands up in surrender. He pulled her down and scooted them back to his hiding spot.

"What's going on?"

"I came in here about an hour ago for a drink, when I saw them. I think I got all of them, except one. He's in the storage room; either too smart to get ganked, or too scared."

Carly glanced at Dean, "Why don't we just make a break for it, then?"

They stared at each other, while Dean contemplated the idea, when the high-pitch squeal started. The look of terror on Dean's face grew, "Cover your ears and your head!" He screamed over the noise. The noise grew louder, and Carly was convinced her head was going to explode, if the blood wasn't drained from her body first. The windows trembeled violently, until they shattered one at a time into the store.

Dean threw his jacket over them, as the nearest windows exploded, in an attempt to protect them from the shards of flying glass. The noise faded and when they uncovered, they witnessed two angels enter the mess of a building, carefully scanning the store. Dean pushed them as far back into a corner as he could. The nearest angel paused near their hiding spot, and Carly swore she saw the being smile in their direction, and then continue to the back; where a loud crash, a scream and then bright light filled the room.

A flutter of wings announed their departure and Dean sat up on his hauches, checking to make sure they were clear, "Come on, let's get moving!"

Dean peeled out of the lot and headed back to the road, after he grabbed handfuls of food from the destroyed store. A hour of silence passed between them, until Carly spoke, "Thank you."

He grunted, not taking his eyes off the road. Carly nodded to herself and turned in her seat, looking out the window. She heard him sigh, and made herself comfortable and rolled her eyes to herself in the proces.

He watched her nearly curl into a ball on the bench seat. He sighed again; he hadn't meant to snap at the girl when she mentioned his mother. The thought of mediums already freaked him out, but the fact that she had spoken with his mother, made him wary. As he thought it over, he immediately regretted his attitude towards Carly; she was only trying to be polite. He had half a mind to wake her up and apologize. He looked back at the road, lost in his thoughts.

He had to make this right.