Spellbound

Drive

Carly woke to the smell of fresh coffee and breakfast foods, wondering if she was still dreaming. A quick glance out the window assured her she was awake. She stretched in her seat and glanced over at Dean, who was in the process of stuffing a sausage sandwich into his mouth. He stopped mid-bite, and turned towards her, "Oh, you're awake!" He fumbled inside the paper bag and pulled out another sandwich, handing it to her.

Gratefully, she unwrapped the sandwich and savored the first bite, "Where are we?"

"A few miles out of Oklahoma."

Carly nodded, and took another bite. They rode in silence for a few miles.

"So, you're being awfully nice to me..."

Dean sighed, "I shouldn't have gotten upset with you when you mentioned my mom. I got weirded out, especially by mediums in general and of course, it's my mom."

Carly nodded, "I understand, but you should know that I had no ill intentions, Dean. Just figured you would have wanted to hear that information. I get it."

He glanced over at her, "Are you sure? I mean, you can't accept my apology that easily.."

Carly raised her brow, "Do you want it to not be easy? Cause I can do crazy, and I can do it very well."

He laughed, "I'm good.. oh, and I think I'll make an exception for you to be the only medium that doesn't creep me out."

They laughed together, and Carly felt a weight lifted off her shoulders.

x x x x

As they drove throughout the day, Carly found it somewhat easier to talk to Dean, and even offered to drive if he needed to rest: to which he politely declined.

It was just after dark when they stopped for a motel. Dean handed Carly her bags and led them across the lot towards their room. As Dean stepped into the room, his phone began to ring. Carly minded her own as she unpacked her things.

"We're relatively safe Cas. Just outside of Austin. No, we ran into a couple earlier, but they were demon hunting."

Carly smiled, hearing Cas worry over two puny humans gave him human-like qualities.

"Alright, Cas. Yeah, Carly is here too. She says hello."

As Dean consoled Cas that they were safe, Carly grabbed her things from her bag and walked into the bathroom. She stripped down and took a long, hot shower. When she exited the shower, she noticed Dean sitting in a recliner type chair, watching television. He glanced up at her has she walked past and smiled.

Throwing her dirty clothes to the floor, she rummaged through her bag and pulled a book out.

"You brought a book on a hunt?" He asked, glancing over his shoulder, while raising an eyebrow at her. Carly narrowed her eyes at him in return.

He laughed before turning back to the television. Carly nestled into the bed, pulled the covers up and opened her book. Often, he glanced over his shoulder at her, watching. He watched her eyebrows rise and fall over each page she read; he imagined her eyebrows rose at surprising moments, and then fall, or even furrow at the confusing parts. But, he couldn't help but smile, and she chose that exact moment to look up from the pages.

"What?" Her brow furrowed.

He shook his head, but opened his mouth to speak, decided against it, and smiled again. She watched him, suspiciously as he smiled once more and turned back to the TV.

Minutes later, Dean turned off the TV and climbed into his bed. She glanced over at him, "Is this light going to bother you?"

He shook his head, and stared at the ceiling, "Carly..."

"Yeah?" She looked up from her book.

He hesitated, "Tell me about my mom."

Her eyebrows raised in shock, "Oh! Okay... Are you sure?"

He placed his arms under his head, and when he turned to look at her, his eyes sparkled with emotion, "Please?"

"Dean... I don't --"

"I got to see her once since the fire, well twice, but that was I was sent into the past.."

"Really? Time Travel?"

"Angels," Dean stated, rolling his eyes, "You have no idea. Once, Sammy and I took a case in Lawrence; some premonition stuff Sammy was having. Anyways, Dad left us some clues and we ended up at our old house. Rebuilt and everything, but this demon, "Yellow Eyes" was still haunting the place. Almost attacked a mom and her two kids.. but this fireball-like thing was protecting them. Turns out, it was my Mom's spirit, she stuck around to protect them. The fireball took shape into her; and I was face to face with my Mom's ghost. It was weird.. and... mesmerizing."

Carly smiled, "She sounds like a good person."

Dean laid there quietly with his eyes closed for a few minutes, "So, what'd she tell you?"

Carly pursed her lips, "Something about I will be one of you best assesst when it comes to finding, and rescuing Sam, and that we will be of some great importance and we will need each other in more ways than one. But other than that, she loves to tell stories about you and Sam. Especially embarrassing ones."

Dean glanced over at her, "Excuse me?"

Carly smiled, "Oh yeah. My favorite one is when you got into her makeup, and had bright red --"

"Alright, alright. Enough.." Dean jumped from the bed and ran to cover her mouth. He sat next to her and laughed, "Okay, that's enough for one day."

"Hey, you asked!"

He laughed, and glanced down at his watch, "It's late. Let's get some sleep, not too much longer till we reach Albuquerque." He stood, stretched and climbed back into his bed.

"Goodnight Carly."

"Night Dean."
x x x x

Carly was shaken awake. When she opened her eyes to a dark figure standing over her, naturally, she screamed.

"Carly. Carly, stop. It's me," The figured fumbled with the lights, "Dean."

Carly attempted to catch her breath before she sob loudly and began to cry. Dean scooped her into his arms and carried her to his bed. He laid next to her and cradled her body in his arms. Gently, he rubbed her back and whispered that it was only a dream and she was safe.

He kissed her forehead, and ran his hand over her hair, and softly sang to her. It didn't take long until she fell asleep and Dean pulled her into his chest.