One Night Stand

six/ten.

I sit alone in my empty, cold apartment with a bottle of beer wrapped in my palm. I finish it off before trudging over to the fridge to get another one. As I bring the addicting bottle to my lips I dial Adara’s number and wait as it rings. After two rings she sends me to her voicemail just as she as every day this week.

‘Look, I know that you’re probably still pissed at me. Hell I don’t blame you. You spent the night at my house and I push you out like some regular prostitute. I don’t know, I’m shit at apologizes. Just call me back.’

I cringe as the message plays over the message again. I delete it then throw my phone off to the side after hanging up. This is what you do Zayn: you get something good and you fuck it up. This is why you’re life will amount to nothing more than a few late night calls with random girls. You don’t deserve anything good. Look, you had Adara and you let her slip away. This is your life. Time to start accepting it. I call in from work today not feeling up to dealing with dumb ass customer questions for the next eight hours. Empty bottle after empty bottle rested on the coffee table in front of me. You’re just like him. The man you hate so much, you’re his splitting image. Sitting on your ass drinking all day long without a purpose.

‘No I’m not.’ I mutter aloud, ‘I’m more of a man than he could ever be.’

I stand up from the small sofa and stumble out of my apartment sloppily locking the door behind me. I slur words to the taxi company and wait out front for them to arrive.

‘I need to go to Adara’s house.’ I shout slamming the door closed.

‘Are you drunk, man? It’s only three in the afternoon.’

‘I am not drunk,’ I chuckle to myself, ‘just take me to this address.’

‘I feel sorry for this Adara person.’ He murmurs under his breath but pulls out of the parking lot anyway.

‘Me too.’ I say in return attempting to call her again but she doesn’t answer. ‘Alright, thanks.’ I say tossing some cash up to the front and rolling out of the cab.

I quickly make my way up to the door and repeatedly knock on it. No answer.

‘Adara! Open up.’ I call pounding on the door.

Nothing. I go around the small house and fall over the metal fence peering into the window. This was her room. I push back the pink curtains and pull myself through the small window. Her room was empty. So I guess she wasn’t home. I’ll just sit here and wait until she comes back. When she comes through that door I’ll be right here waiting for her. Maybe I’ll wait on her bed. I lay down on the soft familiar bed staring at the boring ceiling above me.

‘What the hell are you doing?!’ Adara’s voice shouts crashing into my slumber.

‘I guess I fell asleep.’ I groan rubbing my eyes with my hands.

‘Are you drunk?’

‘Not as nearly as I was a few hours ago.’ I laugh looking at how beautiful she was.

The girl had curves for days, which drove me crazy. Her dark hair was tossed over her shoulder in this messy, sexy way. Her gentle lips seemed so kissable right now. She wore some kind of white tee shirt that showed off just enough. Her tight jeans hugged her hips in the perfect way. God, she was incredible.

‘Zayn, what are you doing here?’ she sighs sitting down on the bed beside me, ‘you reek.’

‘Sorry.’ I shrug at the shirt I’ve worn for the last three days. ‘I’m usually more put together than this.’

‘Why are you in my room?’

‘Because I wanted to see you.’

‘No you don’t.’

‘What do you mean no I don’t?’ I readjust myself on the bed to get a better look at her face.

‘You’re probably horny so you just decided to pay a visit to the desperate girl that can’t get over some guy that has no interest in committing himself to one girl.’

‘I am with one girl.’ I point out reaching for her soft skin but she pulls away, ‘you know I am.’

‘You don’t want to commit Zayn. I can’t keep doing this. Call me needy but I don’t want to be your late night hookup. I want to mean more than that to you.’

‘You do mean more than that to me.’

‘Yet you basically kicked me out of your car after you talked about how different it felt.’

‘I was scared.’

‘Scared?’

‘Yeah, scared. Besides my sister and my mom I have no real attachment with people. I don’t have friends – I just have people I don’t hate. You’re the best thing in my life and that scares the shit out of me. I’m a screw up. I fuck up repeatedly. I know one day you’ll walk out on me and I can’t live with the mere thought of losing you.’

‘You wouldn’t lose me.’

‘Yeah you say that now before you’re stuck with me.’

‘I would think being “stuck with you” would be a great pleasure.’

‘Yeah, that’s why my old man walked out.’

‘That’s his loss. He couldn’t see just how amazing you actually are. I feel sorry for him that he’ll have to live in a world without you, Zayn.’

‘You don’t have to pity me.’ I stand up from her bed and make my way over to her door.

‘So that’s it – you came all the way here just to leave. Again.’ She gives me a shove against the wall and I couldn’t lie – I was turned on. ‘That’s it?’

‘I don’t know what you want from me Adara.’

‘I want to know if you could see yourself being with me and me only but as your girlfriend.’

‘My girlfriend?’ I raise a curious eye at her.

I never really dated anyone. I just rolled around in the dark with girls whose names I didn’t care to remember.

‘Well…’ she folds her arms across her chest waiting for my answer, ‘I see you as my boyfriend. I see you being my stubborn, annoying, lazy boyfriend.’

‘I guess I see you as my pain-in-the-ass girlfriend.’

‘You do?’

‘Yeah, I do.’

‘Are you sure you’re not just giving me what I want so I shut up?’

‘Isn’t that what all couples do?’

A small smile dances on her beautiful lips as she looks up at me. I grip her waist and pull her close to me before smashing my lips to hers. She quickly returns the gesture ruffling her hands through my hair the way I like. I lift her tiny frame into my arms and slip my hands underneath her shirt.

‘No, no, no.’ she pulls away with taunting eyes, ‘you need a shower first.’

‘I can work with that.’ I kiss her lips before carrying her to the bathroom and kicking the door closed.