Alive

3

Alice

I woke up to a loud pounding on the door. Groaning, I opened my eyes, realizing it was still dark out. I sighed and went to open the door. A grinning Louis was behind it, holding two cups of coffee. I grinned and threw my arms around his neck, knowing that caffeine was all I wanted at the moment.

“Thanks, Lou!” I exclaimed, detaching myself from him and grabbing a coffee, taking a sip before ushering him into the room.

“No problem, doll. I figured you could use it this morning.”

Avery stirred from her bed and I sighed, taking the other coffee and putting it on her bedside table.

“Rise and shine, sleepyhead!” I said, patting her hair before turning back to Louis.

“When do we leave?” I asked him. I was so excited to actually start this tour and start performing and doing what I loved best.

“In like an hour.” Louis said, shrugging. “Figured you’d need to get ready. We have to get to the venue and then there’s press and set up to do. The bus is already parked outside.”

I nodded, taking it all in. We were on tour. With my best friend. I ginned and took another sip of my coffee.

“Well, I’ll leave you two to shower and get ready, and we’ll be back in an hour.” Louis said, kissing the top of my head. I nodded and watched him leave the room, before turning back to Avery, who was sitting up in bed, smirking at me behind her coffee cup.

“What’s that look for?” I asked.

She shook her head and laughed.

“Nothing, Al, nothing.” She replied softly.

I rolled my eyes and smacked her lightly on the side of her head on the way to the bathroom. After showering, I went out into the room to give Avery time in the shower, and started to get dressed and ready to leave.

By the time another knock sounded at the door, we were both ready to go. I grinned and opened the door to reveal all 5 boys and Paul standing at our door.

“You girls ready?” Paul asked.

I nodded and Avery did too before we left the room and started toward the elevator. Louis took my bag from me easily, and I rolled my eyes at him trying to be a gentleman. I looked over at my twin to see a blush on her face and Liam carrying her Vera Bradley bag. I raised an eyebrow in her direction, but she ignored me. What was going on there?

I was pulled from my thoughts when the elevator dinged and we made our way to the lobby. When we got there, we noticed the huge crowd of fans and paparazzi gathered outside. I gulped, looking at the large crowd. I’d never seen a crowd so big.

Paul sighed and looked at us.

“Get in a line.” He ordered. “Go outside one by one. Don’t stop. We don’t have time. Don’t respond to any questions thrown your way from the reporters. Not today. They’ll get their interviews as the tour progresses, okay?”

We all nodded and formed the line, Louis in front, me next, then Harry, then Avery, then Liam, then Niall, then Zayn.

When we opened the door, all I heard was noise. Fans yelling, reporters yelling, it all blended together, and I became overwhelmed. But because I fancied myself the strong one, and wanted to maintain that image, for the fans, but especially for my sister, I smiled and started outside after Louis. But, after moving a few feet into the crowd, my hand reached out instinctively and found Louis’ hand. Louis briefly turned and looked at me before lacing his fingers through mine and speeding up his pace.

When we boarded the bus, I immediately went to the back to find my bunk, embarrassed about showing a moment of weakness. It wasn’t supposed to happen, but in that crowd, I needed Louis, and I was vulnerable, something I didn’t want to happen.

I felt a figure behind me as Louis took my bag and put it into my bunk. I sighed and turned to look at him.

“You know, Al, you don’t need to be the strong one all the time.” Louis said, putting a hand on my arm.

I shook his hand off and turned to walk out of the bunk area, but not before calling to him over my shoulder.

“I have no other choice.”