Alive

4

Avery

I was sitting on a couch in the dressing room, re-reading (for the millionth time) my favorite book, The Fault In Our Stars, before the show. The boys were at soundcheck, and Alice was off watching them, so I was enjoying the quiet time by myself. That was until Harry burst into the room. I looked up briefly and looked at him tiredly shuffling into the room. I put my book beside me and smiled at him.

“Hi, Harry.” I greeted the curly haired boy. “You alright?”

He grunted in response and came over, plopping into my lap. I raised an eyebrow. These boys were way too affectionate with people they just met.

“Tired.” He mumbled, burying his face in my neck. I laughed and shrugged.

“Take a nap.” I responded.

“Bless you.” He mumbled, yawning.

I laughed and picked up my book again, attempting to read with Harry still on my lap. I got us in a comfortable position, and leaned back against the cushions, just as Louis, Alice, Liam, and Zayn walked into the room, being loud. I immediately put a finger to my lips to shush them so they wouldn’t wake the now snoring boy.

Alice rolled her eyes, Zayn came and sat next to me, and Liam stood there, giving me a look I couldn’t read. I sighed and picked my book back up, continuing to read. However, I got distracted when Liam sat down on the other side of us, still looking at me.

I looked up from my book and over at him, arching an eyebrow as a sign to talk.

“I love that book.” He whispered. I grinned.

“Isn’t it the greatest?!” I gushed in a whisper.

“No. It’s stupid and you read it too much.” My sister said from her seat next to Louis on the other couch.

“Alice Marie.” I scolded, blushing.

“Avery May.” She retorted. “You know it’s true.”

I sighed and Harry groaned against my neck, waking up from my talking. I shushed him and put a hand in his hair.

“Go back to sleep.” I whispered. Just then, Liam got up from his seat and abruptly left the room. My eyes widened, looking at the closed door.

“What’s up with him?!” Louis asked.

Zayn sighed from next to me and stood up.

“I’ll go talk to him.” He muttered, following Liam out of the room.

Alice and I exchanged a look across the room and she shrugged, turning to Louis and engaging him in a conversation.

I sighed and ran my hand through the curly boys hair, opening my book. I gave up a minute later. I couldn’t concentrate, thoughts of Liam’s abrupt exit flooding my mind.

Why did he leave like that?

Then, Niall came into the room, bringing a tray full of food.

“I thought everyone would be hungry!” He announced loudly. Harry groaned again, but sat up at the mention of food.

Niall put the tray down and everyone dug into the food. I hung back, watching and thinking about Liam still.

“Not hungry, Aves?” Louis asked.

I shook my head as Alice shot me a look, narrowing her eyes. I shrugged at her and she sighed.

“No I’m not hungry.” I replied. He shrugged and everyone continued to eat, the conversation flowing smoothly.

I leaned my head on Harry’s shoulder, getting tired myself. He laughed and looked at me briefly.

“Take a nap.” He imitated my voice from earlier. I laughed and yawned.

“Don’t mind if I do.”