Alive

7

Avery

When I arrived back at the hotel, Zayn was pacing in the hallway outside Liam’s room.

“What happened?” I asked immediately, my voice shaky, not knowing what to expect.

“We came back and he’s in the bathroom and he won’t let me in and he won’t come out. He wanted to see you.”

I sighed and we both walked into the room, Zayn sitting on the couch as I went to the bathroom door and knocked forcefully.

“Liam!” I called. “You’re going to have to open the door.”

There was silence on the other side of the door, and I started to panic. What was he doing?

“Liam Payne!” I said, louder this time.

Soon, I heard the door unlock. I opened it and entered the bathroom, closing it behind me. I saw Liam on the floor in front of the toilet. Crouching down next to him, I ran a hand through his hair.

“Are you sick, Li?” I asked quietly. He nodded, and in an instant, he was throwing up over the toilet, groaning loudly.

“Shh. Shh. Liam, I’m here. Let it all out, okay? You’ll feel better, I promise.” I rubbed his back as he threw up into the toilet. I hadn’t realized he drank so much, but he had to have had a lot when he disappeared. I cursed myself silently for not keeping a better eye on him. He finished throwing up and leaned back against the tub, and I noticed that he had tears streaming down his face. I sighed. So this is why he didn’t want Zayn to come in. I quietly rubbed his arm, knowing that he wouldn’t want me to point out that I saw the tears. After a little while, the tears stopped, and he seemed to be done throwing up.

“I feel like crap.” He hiccupped.

“I know, Li, it’s all the alcohol you drank, hon. You shouldn’t have drank so much.”

“I was trying-“ he paused to hiccup. “To forget.”

“Forget what, Li?” I pressed. He shook his head and tried to stand up, so I hooked an arm around his waist to help him up and steady him.

“The drinks made me forget how I was feeling.” He said, head falling onto my shoulder and eyes closing. I sighed as we got out of the bathroom, Zayn seeing us and standing up, coming over to hook his arm around Liam’s other side.

“Okay, Li. We’re going to get you to bed.” I said softly in his ear, running a hand through his hair. We hauled him to the bed, laying him down. We quickly took off his shoes and I put the trash can next to his bed, just in case. Zayn left the room, and I was about to follow suit, when Liam’s quiet voice stopped me.

“Don’t leave me, Aves.” His drunk, soft voice pleaded. I walked over and kissed his forehead.

“I’m just going out to the living room to talk to Zayn, okay? I’ll be right here if you need me, Liam. I’m not leaving you.”

He nodded and I walked out the door and into the kitchen to find Zayn with a mug of tea ready for me. I smiled gratefully and took the mug, taking a sip of the warm liquid.

“Do you know what he meant, Z? All that stuff about what he was feeling…”

Zayn sighed and put his own mug down on the counter.

“Listen, Aves, it’s not my place to get involved, okay? Just…” He ran a hand through his hair. “Just talk to him when he’s sober. Maybe he’ll tell you.”

I sighed at his vagueness and went into the living room, Zayn trailing behind.

“You wanna watch a movie?” He asked quietly.

I nodded and sat down on the couch next to Zayn as he started a movie, but my head was stuck on the drunk boy in the bedroom, wondering exactly what was going on with him.