Girl in Power

French Toast

"Miss Washington... its time to wake up."

A gentle voice lulled me awake. Opening my eyes slowly, the sun spilling out from behind a tall figure. I could barely make out the shape of a smile and narrow eyes. He is always doing this in the mornings. I wonder if he tires of it...

No. He doesn't.

I close my eyes again, and this time, I sit up.

"Today Miss Washington, we have scrambled eggs and a salmon salad for breakfast. A bowl of freshly picked berries, and some syrup for your eggs. You have the option of french toast, scone, or french bread as a side. Which one would you like?"

I yawn, as the voice tells me my options. He does that a lot too. I open my eyes finally, and face the owner of the voice. "French toast." I answer, and that forever smirk stays on his face, "Of course, Miss Washington." He says, and I look under my nightgown. Stretching the neck slightly, to peek at my chest. I'm still too small and skinny to really have any sort of endowment, but that's not what I'm looking for... sometimes.

Ah. Yes. Its still there. A black star, trapped withing a circle of diamonds. I let my finger fall from its place, my chest covered again. "You always look for it in the mornings, Miss Washington. Do you expect it to fade away soon?" He asks. I blink at his statement, then frown. "Of course not. I just like making sure its still there..." I pout. I'm still young, so I can do that too.

He let's out a quiet chuckle, turning around now to face me. My breakfast in his hands. "I can assure you, it will always be there in the mornings when you wake up, Miss Washington." He says, and I roll my eyes. "I know that too!" I said.

He placed the tray full of my food down in front of me. Breakfast in bed was always my favorite thing. So now, I have it everyday. I take the small cup of maple syrup and pour it over my eggs. Stabbing it with my fork shortly after. I can feel his eyes on me... they basically rip me apart every morning. I look up, and notice his calculating stare. "What demon?" I ask in a high-and-mighty tone. He gives me an amused look, and I can't blame him. A pip squeak like me, bossing around a tall, built man like him. Its comical really.

"I was just noticing that your hair is getting more and more messy each morning, Miss Washington. A trim, or two, would be in order..." he said. I cocked my eyebrow at his slight exaggeration when he added the "or two" part. His emphasis on his bad my hair looked apparent. "Fine then. Schedule a visit to the hairdressers soon," I say, and he nods. Bowing slightly with a hand on his heart, and of course, delivering that same line I know will always come.

"Yes, my Mistress."

I roll my eyes at his display, and take a bite out of my French toast, a disappointed look making its way to my face. I glared at the toast that was now on my plate.

"Is something the matter, Miss Washington?"

"You forgot the powdered sugar on my French toast..."

°°°

I sighed, and pushed my papers to the side, letting my arms flop in front of me, and my head resting on the polished wood. I could smell the cleaning products used on it. Its lemon scented, mostly. "Miss Washington, please refrain from such slovenly behavior..." I heard him sigh. I looked at him with narrowed eyes, "I'm bored. I need a break." I said, and pushed my face against the desk.

"Miss Washington, you barely finished the first page."

I looked up at him again, to find him now standing behind my chair, leaning over a bit to look at my paper work. I won't deny that its true, but I'm not testifying to it either. "I need a ten minute nap." I muttered, and hid my face once more. I can almost hear his impatience rise a level. "Miss Washington, these are letters that need your signature of approval for a design on a new children's dress... also, there are some documents that need your attention right away..." he said, ignoring my request. I hate it when he ignores my orders. I didn't respond. Instead, I sunk my head deeper into my arms. My face smashing against the desk again. "Miss Washington..." I froze. Oh god. I hate it when he does that...

I peeked at him from over my arm, my hair covering my shoulders and forehead. His expression showed every bit of disapproval, annoyance, and evil a face like his could. And was that expression terrifying! He always gets so scary when he does that...

But I'm a stubborn eleven year old who doesn't know when to stop. I testify to THAT.

"I don't want to finish it."

Within a second, my chair was swung around so fast, my legs even lifted from the force into the air, my position from slouching, to straight as a ruler, and I was now wide eyed and facing a very irritated butler. "Miss Washington. I implore that you attend to these documents now." He said, his eyes angry. He was always loosing his temper with me... its not fair.

"I don't know what 'implore' means, 'Bastian." I say, and I see his eyes soften a bit. He can't yell at me for not knowing something. I partly lied though. Using context clues, I'm assuming he is giving me an order. And butlers don't give orders...

"It means I want you to look at these papers," he said, his tone softer.

He had his arms on big of my arm rests, forcing me in place with no escape. He was so... BIG. I looked away from his face, to the small pile of papers on the edge of my desk. "I still don't want to do them." I muttered, and his expression hardened. "Miss Washington, if you do them now, you won't have to do them later." He said, and I blinked.

That was true...

"But I will just get more later though!"

"Then best start on these then, hmm?" He answered, and I frowned at his wit. Stupid demon. I sighed, and looked away from him, pouting. I crossed my arms and contemplated how likely I was to get away with skipping out on my work.

Not likely.

I nodded then, and looked at him. I always wondered why he chose that eye color. Blood red. Of all things, that had to be the most outlandish thing about him. I meant to ask him at one point, but just never got around to it.

"You can have vanilla cake afterwards."

"I'm signing it! I'm signing it!" I exclaimed, swinging my chair and grabbing the papers. Putting down my signature on the first top three. When I was about to move onto the fourth, I paused, then looked at Sebastian. He looked down at me, with a waiting look on his face.

"Miss Washintlgton?"

I thought for a moment, deciding something then coming to a conclusion. "You're reading me a bedtime story later for this too. And pit extra frosting on the cake." I demanded, and I saw a trace of amusement cross his pale features. His red eyes closed, and a smile spread on his lips, "Of course Miss Washington. Shall we read Alice in Wonderland again, then?" He asked, and I continued signing the papers.

"Yes. Make the voice for the Mazda Hatter again the way you did before, okay?" I said, and put aside the sixth paper I signed. "Of course, don't I always?" He said. I smirked, and put aside the seventh.

"Yes. I suppose you do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm I miss Imogen. I liked writing for her in Darkened Light too. Though don't expect her to.be the same as she was before. Now I'm embracing the characters nature now that she is the one in power. Things are going to be wayyy different from the anime and manga, though they're in the same setting.
Look forward to the next chapter!!!