Girl in Power

Only a Demon

You haven't lived until you tasted Sebastian's sweets. You haven't had a small taste of heaven, even while you are damned to hell, until you taste his sweets. They are the best thing about him. Probably the only real good thing about him as well... I eyed his smiling face while I sucked off the sweetness that remained in the fork.

Before I could go for another stab, he spoke. "We have received a letter from the Queen, Miss Washington." He said, and I paused. Looking at him, an expression showing my surprise, I waited for him to tell me more. Of course, he won't do that until I ask. He is a bit annoying that way.

"What were the contents of the letter, Sebastian?" I ask. And he pulled it out, unfolding the piece of paper held within the envelope. "It seems we are invited to a ball she is holding soon. Its on the fourth of March." He said, looking up. I blinked and looked down at my partly eaten cake. He really did put extra frosting on it. "Its January now... its in two months..." I said, taking a piece of cake and shoving it in my mouth. "The Queen seems to want your presence there especially. She is rather adamant about you wearing a mask as it will be a masquerade." He said, skimming over the letter.

"We have time to prepare for the ball. Is there anything else her highness desires?"

"Just that we attend. Nothing more, Miss Washington." He said simply, and I looked at him. "Then we shall prepare next month. We have plenty of time to do so... though why send an invitation so soon? It would be more practical to do so in a week before... but the Queen is the Queen. No use questioning..." I said, eating another piece.

This cake is ungodly good.

°°°

I frowned at my butler. He was currently giving me a bemused look over he rim of his glasses.

"What?!"

"You missed a note, Miss Washington." He scolded, and I pursed my lips. I was holding a violin under my chin, the bow in another hand.

"I didn't hear it."

"That's because you weren't listening. Pay attention to the notes, Miss Washington. Now, from the top." He said, tapping on the stand in front of me. I furrowed my brows in concentration. Playing along when he told me to, and making sure I hit all for the notes.

"Did I ever tell you how much I hate violin, 'Bastion?" I said, in the middle of the song. He gave an unamused grunt, and continued swinging the ruler in the air. We didn't have a proper music wand, since it had broken, so he was currently waving a wooden ruler in the air. He looked rather ridiculous, standing there with a ruler in his hand, flailing about like an idiot. It isn't everyday you see that. I decide to savor the moment, until the song ended.

"There, all done!" I said, removing the violin from underneath my chin. "Yes, you did well this time, Miss Imogen." He said, and gave a pleasant smile. The most human thing he can manage... it would be easier if he could handle real human emotions, but that would be asking too much.

He is, only a demon after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter is short. Mehhh.