The Impossible Children

Dr. Samuels

Mulder and Scully were able to see Dr. Samuels the day following their somewhat fruitful but mostly frustrating meeting with Dr. Martis. Mulder was hopeful that Dr. Samuels was exactly as advertised, an apparent believer who would be much more cooperative than the last doctor they had spoken with. Scully, naturally, had reservations.

Dr. Samuels's office was not as meticulously organized and professional-to-a-fault as Dr. Martis's had been. The clutter of it made Mulder feel strangely at home; it was very much like the desk in their basement office at the FBI and a bit like their office at home (though Scully didn't let him get quite as wild with that one.) There was even a small bulletin board where Dr. Samuels kept things of personal interest to him, some of which were newspaper clippings and quite a few articles related in some way to UFOs. Mulder looked at Scully with an amused expression, and Scully simply looked horrified at the idea of dealing with two Mulders.

“Dr. John Samuels,” the man introduced himself as he shook Mulder's hand.

“Special Agent Fox Mulder, and this is my partner Special Agent Dana Scully,” Mulder responded, “We spoke on the phone last night.”

Dr. Samuels shook Scully's hand as well. “Yes,” he said, “I understand you wanted to speak with me, although I'm still not too clear what about.”

“We're investigating claims of extraterrestrial activity in this area,” Mulder replied, “We've been told you're the guy to talk to about that sort of thing.”

“Well.” Dr. Samuels seemed surprised. “I wasn't aware that my reputation preceded me.”

“It's something you learn to get used to,” Mulder said, “Trust me.”

“So, what can you tell us about the recent strings of alleged UFO sightings and alien abductions in this area?” Scully asked.

“Well, it's not limited to this area, based on my research,” Dr. Samuels replied, “but I have read quite a few accounts of UFO spottings near here. Unfortunately, I've never spotted any myself.”

“But you believe these claims?” Scully asked.

“Absolutely,” Dr. Samuels answered. He seemed to consider saying more but elected not to do so.

“More specifically, we've also heard claims of alien abduction,” Mulder said, “And not only that, but at least one abductee claims to have been implanted with an alien-human hybrid.”

Suddenly, Dr. Samuels seemed far less open to the two agents. “I am aware of such phenomena.” He paused. “No offense, agents, but why is the FBI investigating this exactly?”

“We want to help,” Mulder replied, “And if aliens are breeding hybrids then they could be planning something like colonization and that's certainly something I'd personally consider a matter of national security.”

Scully eyed Mulder skeptically, but Dr. Samuels seemed receptive. Something had changed in the other man's demeanor though; a certain unease had taken hold of him.

“So, if you know anything we'd strongly encourage you to tell us,” Mulder continued.

“Do you believe the abductees are in any danger?” the other man asked, “I mean aside from the obvious.”

“We don't know that,” Mulder said, “That's something we need to find out.”

Dr. Samuels sighed. “I can't go into details for reasons of professional ethics and personal promise, but I have a patient who has been abducted and impregnated with an alien-human hybrid, so I can tell you that it's definitely real and definitely happening.”

“What evidence do you have that she was abducted or that the baby is alien?” Scully questioned.

“Well, namely that the patient is not female,” Dr. Samuels responded, “Believe me. It's alien.”

“Would it be at all possible for us to talk with this patient?” Mulder asked. He had read an account from a man in the Midwest claiming the same thing, but that man was now deceased, and similar accounts were proving exceedingly difficult to find. This could be huge for their investigation.

Dr. Samuels, despite the fact that he seemed very eager to help, had clear reservations about this. “I'd have to ask him,” he said with hesitance. He adopted a stern expression. “It's entirely possible and very likely he will say no. Please accept that and respect his decision.”

“Of course,” Scully said.

“Just, if you can, try to let him know how really helpful his cooperation would be,” Mulder added, well aware that he was pushing his luck.

“Of course,” Dr. Samuels said, “If you wouldn't mind stepping outside...”

The agents complied and waited outside the doctor's office while he completed the phone call.

The conversation lasted several minutes. Mulder tried his best to eavesdrop, but Scully would not allow him to do so.

Eventually, the door opened, and Dr. Samuels emerged. “He will talk with you, but this had better be truly important because it took quite a bit of persuasion to get him to agree.”

They spoke with Dr. Samuels a littler longer, and he and Mulder exchanged cards. Then, Dr. Samuels gave them more information about the young man they were to speak with the following day.

On their way to Bushwick, they battled a heavy deluge of rain and unrelenting traffic. They were grateful at least that the building in which Kurt Hummel resided was easier to find than Fran Blomstein's house had been. Several flights of stairs later and they had finally reached their destination.

A Latina girl answered the door not long after they placed a knock upon it. She studied them quickly with sharp, dark brown eyes, and before they could properly introduce themselves, she turned and yelled, “Kurt! The feds are here!”

“May we come in?” Scully asked.

“Yeah,” the dark haired girl said. She then left them in the doorway and walked up to a door located on the other side of the apartment. She spoke softly, and the agents couldn't make out her words. Presumably, she was speaking with someone else, but they could not hear the other side of the conversation.

The girl returned carrying a purse. “I've gotta go. He'll be out in a bit.”

Kurt emerged not long after the girl had left. “Sorry to keep you waiting,” he said. He had a very unusual voice, higher in pitch than most male voices. “You can make yourselves comfortable.” He had clearly been ill; his face was almost sheet white. He went to the kitchen and got a glass of water.

The agents took a seat on the couch, and Kurt sat in a nearby chair. Kurt wore an over-sized sweater, but it did not completely hide his condition. He shifted uncomfortably under their scrutiny.

Scully subtly elbowed Mulder, who was staring. “I'm Special Agent Dana Scully, and this is my partner Fox Mulder,” she introduced them, “I take it you're Kurt Hummel.”

Kurt nodded. “Yes, I am” He was a very composed individual despite his illness and very young age. “Dr. Samuels said you needed to speak with me about...” He seemed to struggle with the words. “About my condition.”

“We're investigating claims of extraterrestrial activities in this area,” Mulder said.

“And Dr. Samuels has told you what he believes has happened to me?” Kurt replied. His hesitance to participate in the investigation was clear.

“Dr. Samuels told us that he believes you've been abducted by aliens and somehow implanted with an alien-human hybrid,” Scully said, “What is it that you believe has happened?”

“I-I don't know...To be honest, I don't know what to believe anymore,” Kurt answered, “I-I mean, I don't' know if I really believe it was aliens, but I just— I don't have any other answers at this point either. I just don't know.”

“Have you spoken with any doctors besides Dr. Samuels?” Scully asked.

“Well, early on, back before I had any idea what was going on...Or, um, when I had even less of an idea than I currently do...I-I spoke with a few. I knew there was something wrong with me, but nobody could figure out what was going on. When I finally ended up in the hospital, Dr. Samuels was the only one who really helped me and gave me any answers at all. He still is,” Kurt replied, “And I know he sounds crazy sometimes, but everything about this is crazy.” This was clearly not the first time he had had to defend Dr. Samuels.

“So, you don't believe you've been abducted?” Mulder questioned, for clarity.

“I-I don't know,” Kurt replied, “And to be honest, I try not to think about it.”

“Why is that?” Mulder asked curiously. He couldn't personally understand being a walking X-File and not wanting to know why.

“Because it's... just too much...it's too crazy. It's a bad sci-fi movie, and if I fully commit to the whole aliens did it theory then that makes it too real for me,” Kurt said.

“Well, look, not to be rude, but it's obviously very real. I mean, you're living it. You're walking proof it's real.” Mulder was really pushing it, and he knew it. Two different sets of blue eyes were giving him harsh looks. Kurt's glare, though fierce, Mulder could stand up to, but Scully's made him back down a bit. “Sorry. I guess I just don't understand where you're coming from.”

“No, you don't,” Kurt replied coldly, “You have no idea. You're investigating this, but I'm living it.”

“You're right,” Mulder conceded. Then he carefully added, “But don't you ever want to know why you're going through this. Do you not have any memories of this being done to you? Do you not have any questions?”

“I don't remember,” Kurt replied, his tone losing its bitter edge, “and I-I don't want to remember. Whatever happened to me, aliens or whatever, I can only assume it was something awful.” He paused. “And as for questions, yes, of course, I have questions. Of course, I wanna know why something this horrible and impossible is happening to me, but what good would it do me to ask them, even to myself? No answers are gonna change anything, even if I had any. It's already been proven to me that this whole situation is out of my control.”

Kurt was afraid. The boy clearly did not want to admit as much outright, but, despite his best efforts of putting up a front, certain vulnerabilities were evident. He was afraid to believe, scared of whatever the truth was; Scully knew firsthand what that felt like, and she hadn't had to face it at the tender age of nineteen. Kurt was little more than a child and had to deal with something like this; Scully now understood why Dr. Samuels had been so protective of him.

“So, how long has all this been going on? How long have you been this way?” Scully asked him, changing the subject slightly.

“A few months,” Kurt replied, “I guess thirteen or fourteen weeks to be exact.” He fixed his gaze on the floor as he recalled the weeks. “I've only known about it for about a month or so.” He paused. “I guess it's good I found out when I did, or I'd be really freaked out now.” One corner of his mouth quirked upward slightly.

“So, what's it like?” Mulder asked curiously, “If you don't mind my asking.”

“I don't mind,” Kurt replied a bit hesitantly. He was quiet for a moment. “It's...weird. It's, um, really weird. It's, um... I don't even know honestly.” He didn't say aloud “it's scary” or “it's embarrassing”, but he didn't have to. It was written all over him. “I don't understand how or why it's happening to me, and it really... sucks...for lack of a better phrase.”

After they had talked with Kurt a bit more, the two agents thanked him for his time, and each shook his hand. Mulder gave him his card. “Call us if you remember anything,” he told the boy, and with that, they left.