Status: Please give it a try and give me some feedbacks! :)

Look at Me

Chapter 8 - The Rat

It was just yesterday when Rachel had her big showdown with Viktor. It may be a new day but its won't be a new day for her. She was still working in the office, which means a round two with Viktor is possible. She could not really take a day off because for one, she was new and skipping a day would not make a good impression. Not to mention, she had a strong work ethics. She was a professional.

All morning, there was no commotion and no problem for her. Everything was fine and quiet. All she had to do was survive the afternoon. It was 12:05 pm which means lunch would be in five minutes. She was just finishing putting data into graphs when she heard a knock on her door.

"Who might that be? Do you have a date, Sherry?" Rachel asked her colleague.

"Ugh, no. Maybe you have a date? Maybe it's the boss man again?" She practically beamed at Rachel. "He's looking for you again."

Rachel's heartbeat skipped a beat. She did not like to be scared. "Will, you just get it please, since you're closer".

"Okay, fine." Sherry said as she hurried to the door and opened it.

"Oh, hi, Ms. Spielberg. What brings you here in our humble cubicle?" Sherry was nervous in talker to her. Emma might just be the director of human resources department but everybody knew who she was.

Rachel quietly thanked the heavens because it was not that Spielberg that was at the door. However, she was still uneasy because Emma was still Viktor's sister. Or maybe there was something wrong with her employment? Whatever it is, it could be something really bad.

"What took you so long to answer?"

"Rachel and I are just wondering who could the visitor be.... and we I guess it's you."

"Speaking of her, is Ms. Harper there?"

Rachel heard her name so she quickly interjected. "Ms. Spielberg, how may I help you?"

"Follow me, Rachel. Don't bring anything."

There was a confident tone in Emma's voice. It was obvious that Emma and Viktor are related because that's exactly how Viktor talked to Rachel yesterday. There was a "I'm not used to getting a no for an answer" tone in both of how they speak. Nevertheless, Rachel followed Emma not to her office but to the elevator and they headed to the underground parking lot reserved for the executives.

"What's happening? Where are we going?"

"Rachel, relax, we're just having lunch, I just wanted to talk to talk to you." Emma said as she unlocked her obviously expensive Lexus. "Hop in."

They said quietly and awkwardly in the car and about 15 minutes later, they reached a high end French cuisine restaurant. It wasn't crowded since the prices of food there is as high as skyscrapers. There were seated the second they walked in.

"Bonjour mademoiselles, what can I get you today?"

After studying the menu, she spoke "Hello, I'll get the Poulet a la moutard et le champignon, s'il vous plait." Emma spoke as if she was fluent in French. Of course, she would be, she's a billionaire!

"And for you mademoiselle?" The waiter turned to Rachel.

"I don't really know anything on the menu. I've never heard of them. To be honest, I don't speak French or whatever that is."

"Oh just make the order two, please." Emma came to her rescue. "That will be all, merci beaucoup." She was obviously flirting with him since she winked at him. Rachel wonder what it would feel like to be rich, beautiful and confident.

"Ok so Rachel, I just wanted to talk to you about you and Viktor years ago." Emma was straight to the point, which made Rachel nervous.

"What exactly do you want to know, Ms. Spielberg?"

"Please, call me Emma. Anyway, for one, why did Viktor ever not introduce you to us back when you guys are still together? You guy's keeping it a secret or something? You know, you could have been the older sister that I never had."

"I think you should ask that to your brother, not me." She was getting really anxious about the whole topic of being with him four years ago.

"Please, please, please tell me. That's the sole reason why we're here today having lunch."

"Let's just say we had an arrangement..." Rachel can't find better wording.

"What do you mean? You're so vague."

"We're not serious, okay? At least for him. Our relationship is not serious for him." Rachel would be fine as long as Emma stay away from the topic that relates her kids.

"You know what, you wrecked him."

"What!?" Rachel was confused.

"After you left without a word, he was a mess. He drank and drank and drank for about a week. He got into several fights. His grades dropped significantly. He won't even talk to us. All we know was it was about you and you deserting him without a word. That's the only thing he told us. It was obvious he really cared for you."

Rachel had no idea about that. "I didn't know." She didn't know what to feel. It ws strange. "I didn't mean for that to happen. Sorry. Is that the reason why you brought me here? Are blaming me? Mad at me?"

"No. Past is past. He's over it now, and so is the whole family."

At this time, the waiter came back with their food. Both of them started eating their lunch. After having a bite, Rachel thought to herself "No wonder these are so expensive. These are delicious!" She would not say that out loud of course, she doesn't want to embarrass herself.

Emma continued to where she's at before getting interrupted. "I just want some background information on what really happened because he doesn't want to talk about it. And I guess that leads me to my actual question. Why did you leave him without a word?" Emma was full or sisterly love there and was being a protective sister.

"As I said, we are not even serious. I mean - "

"So you're not serious. Why did you not just break up with him? With that at least you're letting him know what's up. So tell me the truth, Rachel, I don't believe that's the only reason."

"I had my reason to leave without a word." She was not just gonna be like "Oh guess what, I got pregnant and guess who's the father, that's right, it's Viktor. He's not serious with me so I don't know what to do. I'm also afraid he might take them away from me. So yeah." She had to keep it a secret at all cost!

"Which is...?"

"Which is I think it's none of your business. I really don't have to tell you anything."

"You don't have to but you will. Please just tell me"

She had to think of a lie or something. "Ok, I'm gonna come clean. He was causing my grades to fall. He's a distraction. I have to leave immediately." She felt like she just got herself into an even bigger hole. Is her acting believable? No.

"Rachel, who are you fooling? I might be blonde but I'm not dumb. Trust me, I'm not. I don't even know where the stereotype came from. But seriously, you're not fooling me.

"My grades really are falling! I need to get my head to my studies!"

"You're hiding something aren't you? You're nervous and you're a bad actress."

"You have a sharp tongue." That was the only come back Rachel can think of.

"And you have a secret."

"You're late!" Viktor was once again getting agitated because of Emma. "I've been calling you for forever! I needed that report! Where were you?"

"Relax! I just had lunch with you ex. I guess it was a long talk."

"Who? Wanda?"

"No, idiot. I meant the ex that destroyed you, the infamous, Rachel."

"What the hell! What did you guys do?"

"We just had lunch and did some talking. Actually I was interrogating her." she said proudly.

"About what!?"

"About you guys four years ago."

"I told you not to talk about the subject ever again! Not with me, not with her, and not with anyone else! Rachel and I are the only ones who can talk about it! " Why does his sister keep on tormenting him?

"Woah, Viktor. You're too loud. I can hear you from the hall. What is happening?" Robin said, as he entered the room. Another sibling that might possibly annoy him. Great.

"Why are you here, Robin?"

"I heard you page Emma through the intercom for about a million times. I figured something was up. Here I am. What are you two fighting about?"

"I just talked to Rachel."

"Like the college Rachel? The actual Rachel?"

"Yes, the one that works here that was also his girlfriend. Ex, I mean."

"Could you not talk about her in front of me!?" Viktor exclaimed.

"Viktor, I just want you to know I'm always on your side, so listen. Please. Seriously. Listen. do you trust me?" Emma was about to reveal something.

"Go on."

"So Rachel and I talked. I asked her why she left you without a word. I asked her the reason behind it and she couldn't answer. I think she was hiding something. No kidding."

Robin was having doubts. "What made you say that? Are a fortune teller now?"

"Do I have to show you my degree in psychology?" Since she was the director of human resources, she had to study psychology and it was certainly useful today."She was nervous and showing signs that she was hiding something. You can just feel it even if you didn't study psychology."

"Are you sure about this?" Viktor was actually starting to believe his sister.

"Yes."

"So what do you guys want me to do?" For the first time in a long time, he did not know what to do so he was asking his siblings.

"Well, I mean, it wouldn't hurt to do some comprehensive background check on her. It's not illegal."

He had hired private investigators before but it was all for the business and now he was about to do it for personal reasons.
♠ ♠ ♠
Some suspicions here... haha I hope you guys like it! :)
I realized there have been some few grammatical errors. If you would please kindly point them out to me, I will gladly change them. Thanks!