Status: Please give it a try and give me some feedbacks! :)

Look at Me

Chapter 18 - The Proposal

The following weekend, Viktor had planned for the kids to stay with him in his penthouse so they could hang out there. He pressed Rachel's buzzer.

"Hello, Viktor." Rachel said as she opened the door. It was obvious from her tone that she wa still upset from before.

"Yes they are."

"You're still mad, aren't you?""

"I'm still upset, yes!"

"Come on, Rachel. We both know everything is going down to that same topic. Everything is about our children's custody."

"I know that, but do you really have to mention it during that exact moment?" Viktor realized she had a point.

"I'm not here to argue, I'm here to pick up the kids." Speaking of which, the kids finally noticed their Dad and came running to him.

"I've missed you two. Are you ready?"

"Yes, Dad!"

"Did you bring your toys?"

"Yes, Viktor, I put their toys in their back packs. Bring them home by three." Rachel interjected.

"I sure will."

And off they go to Viktor's penthouse downtown. The roads were not busy so they were able to reach their destination in mere minutes. The kids were amazed by how grandious Viktor's modern penthouse is.

"Wow. Dad, do you live here?"

"Yes, Alice, why? Do you like it?"

"Yes! Are we allowed to run?"

Viktor was puzzled by Alice's question. "Yes... why did you ask?"

"Because Mom always tell us we can't run around the house. She said the neighbours won't like it and ther's no space." Now, Viktor could see why. Rachel's apartment was not really a shoe box but it was definitely too small for three people, especially for energetic kids who needs space. He should relocate his kids.

"I see. Well, in here, you can run any time you want."

"Dad, why do you not live with us?" it was Oscar.

"Good question, Oscar. Well..." he did not know what to answer.

"Moms and Dads live together, don't they?"

"Yes..."

"So why are you always away?"

"Your Mom and I are different from other Moms and Dads."

"Why?"

"Because your Mom and I are not married and you and your sister was an accident. Oh wait, there's one more on the way." was all he wanted to say but instead, he stuck to "It's complicated between me and your Mom. Well, suppose you could just live with one of us, who would you pick?"

"I want to live with both of you."

"What about you, Alice?"

"Both, too."

"What if you could only pick one?"

"But I don't want to pick one! I want you and Mom!" protested Oscar. Well then, his parents are right. Oscar and Alice wanted both of their parents. He's going to have to marry Rachel. Neither of them would like it.

Several hours later, he was dropping them off to Rachel. He decided it was the perfect time to talk to her.

"Hi Mom!"

"Hey, sweetheart. How was it?"

"It was fun! Dad let us run around! He said it was okay."

"Rachel, they really loved it. They were excited because of the space where they could play. I think they should live in a bigger home." suggested Viktor.

"Well, I'm sorry. I forgot to buy a big house with my billion dollars." Rachel said sarcastically. He really did not need to rub it in her face that she could afford a small apartment when Viktor could afford a castle.

"Relax, Rachel. No need to be rude. I was just suggesting."

"Ok, they're here safe and sound, good night." She started pushing him lightly towards the open door. She really did not have energy or the time to face him more than she needed to.

"Wait! I have to talk to you." Although Rachel was pushing him, his 210 pounds and 6' 3" of muscle did not move an inch.

"About what? Their custody again?"

Viktor held Rachel's shoulder. "Yes, actually. I think it's going to be nasty so I'd rather not the kids hear it." He said that in a tone that saying he was the leader and she should do what she's told.

"I don't want to talk about it tonight!"

"Well, I do. I think the kids are tired. When they nap, we'll talk. No buts, Rachel." He then started to walk towards his kids on the couch who was obviously sleepy.

"Hey, are you guys tired?"

"Yes." the kids said in unison.

"I think you need a nap." he said to both of them.

"Moooom! Can we take a nap?"

"Sure, sweaty. Here, let's go to your room, I'll tuck you in."

A few minutes later, Rachel returned to the living room, nervous on what was about to happen. "So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I told you, about the kids' custody and the new baby's a swell."

"Yeah, I know that, get straight to the point, Viktor!"

"My one month of bonding with the kids is up, I'm sure you know that. during that one month, I realized that "I love them and they are the best thing that's ever happened to me since I met you. They really like me too, in case you don't know that."

"What are you going to do?!" she did not let him finish.

"I'm planning on getting full custody, Rachel. I want to be with them every single day, not just a few times a week." He said expressionless.

She started to rise. Her eyes were watering now too. "Over my dead body! You will never ever take them away from me. I'll fight you. I would do any thing to stop you from taking them away from me!" She was so angry at him. She was hoping she could restrain herself from slapping him.

"Luckily for you, Rachel, there seemed to be one more option."

"Which is... you backing off?"

"No, Rachel. You should marry me." once again, he said that without an emotion, but on the inside, he was really hoping she'd agree.

Rachel was contemplating on what just happened. Viktor just told her to marry him. How romantic could he be? "Am I hearing things that I should not be hearing? Did you drug me?"

"No, Rachel. You heard it right. Remember when I first learn about Oscar and Alice, I told you if you still wanted to be a Mom for them, don't defy me and just do what I say. No buts and all you will say is 'yes'? I' m sticking to that.

"What are you even thinking? Why would I marry you? We had a relationship years ago and you were not even serious about me. What makes you think I'll come running back to you that easily?" Was he being serious right now?

"As I said Rachel, the choice is yours, you defy me, I get the full custody to both of our child. You do what I want you to do ,then you get to be a mother to our child. It's really that simple." He was now smirking. He was leaning at her too, making their faces inches away.

Rachel backed off. She knew where they would end up every time their faces were that close. They both don't need to be making out in the middle of a serious argument. "I know you, Viktor. You like to make sudden decisions. I think this one is. Please go home tonight and think about what you just said moments ago."

"No. I'm actually thinking about this for a week now. I don't think a week is a sudden." When Rachel backed off, he leaned closer.

"Whatever, it's still a crazy idea. You could not treat me seriously as a girlfriend back then, what could possibly make you take me seriously as your wife. I thought since you're the CEO of your own company, you're supposed to be smart."

"Would you please just let go of the past? That's done, we need to look forward. may not have taken you seriously back then but as I told you already, I cared for you and I still do. I think that's enough for you to be my wife."

Rachel would not settle for anything less than what she deserve. She used to gave Viktor all her heart so she deserved his full heart too. She deserved his love, not just care. "I don't think that's enough, Viktor. I'm going to have to say no."

"Listen to me! Trust me, I really do not want to fight you for their custody. I really don't."

"Well then, don't! It's that simple!"

"But I also want to be with them twenty four-seven. I want full custody too. If you would just marry me, we would both have them every day and there on't be a nasty battle. Come on Rachel, you're smart. Think about them, not yourself."

"So you're calling me selfish now? Well, I'm actually thinking about their good, just so you know, Mr. Know it all."

"Really? Did you even bother to ask them what they want? I asked them toady who thy want to live with, the say both Mommy and Daddy. I said they could only pick one they still said both. I bet you did not know that because you never bothered talking to them." Viktor said confidently.

Rachel was speechless for a moment. "Did they... did they really say that?"

"Yes and that's the thing. They even asked me why I don't live with them. They said all Moms and Dad live together and asked me why I don't live with them. I could not answer it. So, you changed your mind now?"

"No. I still think there's a better option for us and the kids." She refused to let him win.

"Rachel, just look past at whatever issues you're having. Don't think about us. Think of our children and the baby in your stomach."

"Damn you, Viktor... I guess I'll let you win this time." She said in defeat.

"You're actually saying yes?"

"Yes, Viktor." She said yes! He leaned to hug her. He kissed her quickly on the lips as if nothing was happening.

"Now, Rachel, or should I say my dear fiancee, once we're married I'm expecting you to do what every wives do to the husband. We would be like a normal couple. You will do your wifely duties."

What the heck did he mean by that?

"And, by the way, you're aware that there will be a pre-nup agreement, right?" He continued.

"I don't mind... but why?"

"Well, what if you run away with my children? I mean, I don't think you'd do that but you're smart. You'll think of something. You know, I just want to protect the fortune that my great-grandpa started. As I said, I don't think you would do something crazy or stupid but anything could happen. I might as well protect my net worth." He finished off with a lazy grin which made Rachel to either slap him or kiss him.

How could she be marrying this pompous, self-centered, and arrogant jerk? She did not know the answer as well, all she knows is love can be crazy.

After an hour, the kids woke up, obviously satisfied with their short but useful nap. They were shocked to see that their Dad was still there as he should have been gone an hour ago.

"Dad! You're still here?"

"Yes, of course."

"I thought you were gone, Dad." asked Oscar.

"Guess what, remember when you guys told me you wanted to live with your Mom and me together?"

"Yup."

"We're going to do exactly that. I'm gonna marry your Mom and we're going to live in one house."

The grin on the kids' face told Rachel and Viktor that at least they have done the right thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me what you think!