Status: Please give it a try and give me some feedbacks! :)

Look at Me

Chapter 23 - The Suitcase

Rachel just had a roller coaster night. After finding her husband in a passionate and compromising position with his ex, she just had to get out of there or else, she will just explode. She left the hotel and hailed a cab. She had to get away from Viktor and of course, she had to bring the kids with her. She just had to pick them up from the house.

It was starting to feel like four years ago but she realized that this one was bigger.

On her way to the house, she called Ashley in advance. Ashley answered after the second ring. "Rachel? Hi? How's the party?" Rachel heard Ashley said breathlessly. She must be running after the kids who were loud in the background.

"I'm coming home now." Rachel said after a cry.

"What the?... Are you crying, Rach? I thought you said the charity ball would end much later?" Ashley was suddenly serious and alert.

"Please do me a favor." Rachel said between sobs.

"Yes?"

"Pack Oscar and Alice's clothes. You should find some suitcase in my closet. Please just grab as much stuff as you could and stuff them into the suitcase and do it quickly, Ash." She was still sobbing.

"Rach, what is going on? Tell me! Did something happen?"

"I'll tell you when I get there, Ash."

"You're starting to scare me."

"I'll tell you when I get there, I promise."

After a few minutes of sobbing and broken heart, Rachel finally reached the house that she called home along with Viktor, the cheater. She raced inside and bee lined upstairs. Poor Oscar and Alice, they did not know what was their father doing to them.

"Mom? Are you crying?" Oscar spotted his Mom.

"Honey, I'm fine." At this point, Alice was with them too. She gathered them to a meaningful long hug.

"Why are you crying, Mommy?" Little Alice was worried about her Mommy.

"Nothing, sweetie. I'm alright." She knew her kids were smart and she was not fooling them.

Their little conversation was interrupted when Ashley appeared with a worried expression on her face. "Rachel, what is going on? Tell me!" Ashley almost shouted. Instead of replying immediately, Rachel sobbed and lean into her best friend. She was silently thanking the heavens for befriending Ashley years ago and for her being there for Rachel t the moment.

"Rachel! You are starting to scare the crap out of me. What is going on?!" Ashley tried not to shout but it was hard not to, considering that Rachel was crying uncontrollably and won't say anything about it.

"I'll tell you but not here. I don't want the kids to know."

"Okay, let's move to the other room, then." Ashley turned to the kids who were still worried about their mother. "Your Mom and I will be just at the other room, ok? We will just have some adult talk. I'm sure it will be boring so, stay here, got it?"

All Oscar and Alice could do was nod.

"Good boy and good girl. Now, Rach, let's go."

Rachel was still in her high heels and uncomfortable dress. Along with the sadness and crying, she could barely stand on her own, that's why she was leaning into Ashley while walking. From the kids' room, they headed to the master's bedroom. A room which Rachel share with Viktor. It was still unreal for her. Everything had not sunk in yet.

"So what now?!" Ashley practically shouted at Rachel's ears.

"Wait, before I tell you, have you packed their stuff yet like I told you?" At least Rachel's sobs were better now.

"I couldn't find the suitcase so I just put their clothes in a backpack. I hope it does not matter." With what Rachel was facing now, it was the least of her problems.

"It does not. So listen, while I tell you everything, you have to help me pack my stuff now." Rachel said as she hurried to the walk in closet to gather her stuff.

"So it looks like you are going somewhere? Rachel! The anticipation is killing me!"

Both girls started going through Rachel's closet and grabbing clothes and folding them and stuffing them into some back packs.

"I don't even know where to begin, Ash."

"Start from the beginning."

"Well, after we arrived at the hotel where the charity ball was happening, the first thing Viktor told me was he had to meet with people so he left me with his sister."

"So far, it's not that bad. Go on."

"Yeah so after about forty five minutes later, he was still gone. Emma, remember her? Viktor's sister?" Of course she does, both of them were bridesmaid of Rachel's farce of a wedding.

"Yes, I do remember her."

"She saw someone, a girl named Valerie. Emma told me Valerie was a friend of Wanda, you know, the bitch who was also Viktor's crazy ex girlfriend. "

"Ok, we're getting somewhere...."

"So Emma told me how Valerie was just as manipulative and just as conniving as Wanda. Emma told me all sorts of bad thing about her. Emma was actually right, Valerie is a straight up bitch. She actually said my husband was hot right in front of my face. She came up to us and claimed that Viktor had flirted with her and Wanda."

"What did you do? Did you slap her?"

"No, but I wish I had. But anyway, since I had been forewarned by Emma, I did not believe her. But she kept on going on telling me more about how much Viktor preferred Wanda over me and she made me feel like trash."

"Oh, dear Rach, say the word and I'll hunt this Valerie down. Is she the reason why you're upset? Don't make her control your life!"

"Sadly, Ash, that was not even the worst part. Valerie continued to talk and she claimed that Viktor and Wanda was making out somewhere during that moment. All the logic in me was telling me she was lying but there's just some part of me that believes in her. I guess I don't really have a big trust on Viktor."

"So...?"

"Valerie lead me and Emma to a small room. It was a janitor's closet, I think." The thought of the room brought up the memories from just moments ago. It was haunting her. She continued talking "I yanked the door open..." Rachel was starting to sob again. She thought she had her emotions handled, apparently not.

"What is in there?"

"Sure enough, there was Viktor and Wanda. They were locked in a passionate embrace. They looked breathless from kissing. Viktor's buttons are actually unbuttoned." She managed to finish the sentence despite the sobs and cries.

"Viktor actually cheated on you!?"

More heavy sobs then, "Yes."

"That bastard. I won't let him do that to you! What can I do?" Ashley was angry. Nobody will hurt her friend on her watch.

"Nothing. I don't know what to do myself. All I know is I'm getting out of here. Preferably tonight." Rachel will not tolerate cheating. She was aware he only married her because of the baby on her tummy and the kids and not out of real love but it did not mean he could run around and be with other women. And Wanda out of all women?

"Is that why you wanted the kids' clothes packed?"

"Yes." Speaking for packing, her stuff was almost done and she had changed into causal clothing too.

"So you're going away tonight?"

"That's the plan, Ash."

"Stay at my apartment. Let's go!"

"No Ash. I can't do that. The second Viktor finds out the kids are not home, the first place he'll come looking at is your place. I cannot face him any time soon. I can't go to your place."

"He will never come looking for you guys. If he really cares, he never would have cheated on the first place."

"He never loves me so he will not look for me. But he will certainly look for the kids." Rachel really need to take the kids with her. She will not let them be away from her. She realized Viktor would be probably pissed that she took his children with her but damn all the consequences. Besides, it was not her fault she needed to get away because he cheated.

She will just have to settle for a visitation agreement with Viktor's family. Anette and Nikolas, as well as Viktor's siblings had grown to love Oscar and Alice over the time they'd known the kids. Oscar and Alice adored their grandparents and aunts and uncles as well. It would be hard for the kids to be away from them all of a sudden.

"Well, Rachel what are your plans? You are pregnant. You need to have someone with you in case something happens. And please don't let the whole thing shake you down. The stress is bad for the baby."

"It probably is. I'm blaming Viktor if something happens to my baby."

"Don't let it bother you. Don't harm the baby."

"I'll try."

"So what is your plan? Where are you going? I swear you guys are always welcome at my place."

"I really appreciate your offer but I really can't. I can't go to my parent's too because he will look for me there too. I guess I will stay at a hotel for a while because I can find my own apartment." She could not go back to her old apartment since there was already new tenants there.

"You're leaving alone again?"

"Yes, just like before. It does not really make a difference since I'm used to it.

By this time, the kids' stuff and Rachel's belongings are ready to go. She called the kids and quickly changed them into an outfit appropriate for Minnesota's late fall.

"Ash, let's get out of here quickly before Viktor comes. I really don't want to face him any time soon."

"Ok, let's go then. Do you want me to escort you guys to your hotel?"

"No that's unnecessary. You've done enough already. Thank you so much fro helping me pack our stuff."

"No worries, Rach. I know you'd do the same for me. Need any more help?"

"Just help me put our stuff into the trunk of my car. They are pretty heavy. I'll just get someone to help me carry them when we reach the hotel. So yeah, again, thanks and I'll call you in the morning."

Ashley helped her and off she goes. Rachel insisted that Ashley goes home as she had done enough already. This left Rachel and the kids alone in the car, ready to go. Poor Oscar and Alice, were wondering what was happening. It was all strange to them.

"Mom, where are we going?"

"Somewhere." In fact, she did not know which hotel they are staying.

"We do we have to go? Ins't it our bed time?" said Alice.

"Um.... something... came up." She wanted to protect the kids from a news that will surely break them. She started the engine and drove off.

"Why is Dad not here? Is her coming with us?"

"No he is not coming with us, honey." was all Rachel said although she really wanted to scream "He cheated and he will not come with us. He can go to hell for all I care.". However, she restrained herself from doing so.

"Why do we have to go?" Oscar said from the back seat. This was the only time where she would find the kids' questions annoying. It must be the the stress, the shock, the hormones mixed up with a little anger. Was she turning into a monster? She hoped not. She should not let her frustrations out on her kids.

"Oscar, Alice, we just need to get way for the night, ok? I don't know when Dad will be with us again. Please don't ask any more questions for now, ok?" She tried to sound calm as much as possible.

The kids were obedient and she was happy for that. They stopped asking questions which she did not know the answers as well.

While driving, she thought about her job. How could she forget about that? She could etiher not show up again. She would just vanish without actually quitting. Maybe she could file a resignation letter but that would mean she had to stay for at least another two weeks at HS Group, which means two weeks to run into Viktor.

Her future employment was at risk either. Every time she would apply for a new job, HS Group would just feed them bad things about her. She now had to be financially independent. She won't have a husband to help her any more. Oscar and Alice deserves the best. Not to mention, she is pregnant and would need maternity clothing. And what about the baby? The pregnancy's medical bills? The baby's medical health? The baby's clothing, diapers, toys, vitamins? She had a lot to think about. She decided she will face the problem. If there's one thing the past few years had thought her, it was courage.

Good thing for her though, it was friday, so she'll have the weekend off to decide a few things.

After a few minutes of driving, she decided to check in a hotel downtown. It was not the best but it was not the worst either. It was decent for her and her children. Economically, it was a good option for her budget. Even though she was married to a billionaire, she made sure she had the money of her own. She did not use his money for her luxury. She was not a gold digger! She had also made sure to have some money saved up for moments like this one. Well, now, she had to be tight in her budget.

Later, before she slept, she had to remember how she got into this again. On the positive side though, tomorrow is always another day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Feedbacks?