Status: Please give it a try and give me some feedbacks! :)

Look at Me

Chapter 5 - The Resume

She did it. Rachel sent her resume and applied for the land surveyor position at HS Group, Viktor's company. As much as she didn't want to do it, she had to. She had big loans from living alone and university. On top of the daily cost of living. Her kids are growing and she wanted the best for them. She was not going to allow Oscar and Alice to get less than what they deserve. HS Group pays well(kudos to them) and she was not about to let an opportunity slip away.

She can really avoid Viktor, right? The human resources will interview her then if she get the job, she will be just like a regular employee of the company. What are the odds of her meeting the CEO? It's not like the CEO interviews every single applicant. She was sure she won't run into Viktor and her kids will be safe.

"Hi, who's this and how may I help you?" Rachel was not sure what the woman on the other end might want.

"Hello. First of all, I'm a representative of HS Group and I called today to find out if you're still interested with the land surveyor position because if you are, we'd like to set up an interview." The other woman said as she kept a cool and controlled voice. It was obvious the woman knew what she's doing.

Is it really happening? They wanted to have an appointment with her. Should she be nervous or happy? She chose to be on the positive side. "Well, yeah... I mean that's a definite yes! Sorry, I was just shocked...."

"Oh it's ok, so when are you free for the interview?"

"I am free anytime"

"Ok, we'll set you up tomorrow at 10 am. Just come prepared, bring your portfolio and yourself. Ask the receptionist for me, Emma Spielberg, and they'll send you to me then we'll go from there. Sounds good?"

"Yes." was all she said before she hung up the phone. Did Viktor's sister just spoke to her moments ago? Her hands were shaking. She had never met Emma before but she knew who she was. Viktor has mentioned Emma to her on few occasions. So much for avoiding Viktor, it's not even her first say yet and she already made contact with the sister.

"Mom! Spongesbob's starting!" yelled Alice who was sitting dangerously close to the tv.

"Sweetheart, back off, you're sitting way too close to the tv, you'll wreck you eyes."

Alice obeyed her Mom and Rachel continues. "How would you guys like it if Gradma stays with you tomorrow?"

"Grandma's coming tomorrow?!" asked Oscar excitedly.

"Well, I still have to ask her but she'll say yes. Mommy's going somewhere tomorrow. I have an interview to nail. Come big Mommy a good luck kiss and hug for tomorrow!" She smiled. Oscar and Alice came up to her and gave her the biggest bear hug their little hands could muster an suddenly she felt excited as opposed to being nervous before.

It was only 11 am and Emma Spielberg was already tired. Actually, the whole human resources department was tired these last few months. The metropolitan of Minneapolis-St.Paul was growing rapidly, because of that, farmlands and countrysides turns into either suburban or business centres. Those land must be cleared, surveyed, planned and who does the government call? HS Group. If they finally figured out what to build with the land, they'll make sure HS group gets the job done.

That is why there had been mass hiring these last few months. Emma Spielberg was interviewing people for a wide variety of positions. Emma hoped to get a little break. Lucky for her, her boss is also her older brother. Although he wouldn't cut her some slacks.

As if knowing she was thinking of Viktor, her telephone rang. She immediately knew who it was. "Hello?"

"Emma, report to my office. Now!" Someone woke up in the wrong side of the bed.

"Ok"

A few minutes later, she stepped into his large luxurious office without even knocking. What could he do? Fire her? Just one of the perks of working on family business.

"Have a seat, Emma"

"Someone's grumpy today."

"Well, if you are a month behind on an easy project, you'd be grumpy too, oh wait never mind, you're incompetent and don't care for your job. Sorry." he said sarcastically. Ouch for Emma. She decided to say something as sarcastic but changed her decision the last minute. She doesn't need more stress right now. "First off, let's start on an easy topic. How's hiring foremen and masons for the Northeast project?"

"It's done. I talked to Doug and he said the crew's complete and the groundbreaking can start any time soon. They just need your approval."

"Ok, that's good to hear. However, that;s not really my problem right now. Listen to me, I've told you this before, and I'm telling you again. The government has acquired new lands down south and they wanted to build a residential area. They needed us to survey the land in order for them start doing that. Which means we need to hire more surveyors as soon as possible. Got that?" He said as he almost raised his voice near the end. They were streched thin with the land surveyors these last few months.

"Jeez, calm down Viktor. First of all, don't you blame the lack of surveyors to me. It's not really a popular career to people, ok? You could have hired more surveyors before, just like I advised you to."

"We didn't really need that much before, okay? Now what do you have for me?"

"I guess it's your lucky day, I just set up an interview with an applicant tomorrow and since you're desperate I might hire the applicant on the spot.'

"Hold on there, don't hire anyone on the spot, at least think if they're good for the job. I want him to do well. We are dealing with the government here, we wanted them to deal with us again so he better be perfect for the job"

"Well, the applicant is a she by the way. I've looked into her resume and portfolio and she seemed like a good candidate. Her experience in the field is four years. First, started as an intern then eventually became an assistant. I mean that counts are experience in the field, right? Oh and also, she is a geomatics major with high grades"

"How high?"

"I couldn't possibly remember every single information in her resume. All the files are in my office. I could get them if you want."

"No, that's not necessary, after all, it's your job to look at them. Just tell me anything that you remember from the resume."

"She is also an urban planning minor, if she can do that too, and oh, her name is Rachel Harper."

Someone just threw a bucket of cold water at his face. Maybe not literally, but that's exactly what it felt like to him. The girl that made his heart full and broke it to pieces has returned. Life is playing a hard joke on him. That name is common right? Maybe it's a different Rachel Harper.

"Shit."

"Why? You know her?"

"Get her full resume and information from your office, now". His voice was deathly calm. Emma didn't know what was happening so she just did as he told. While he was waiting for her, he just thought about what happened between them years ago.

After their commotion at Denny's, he thought it was just a small thing that she shouldn't worry about. He tried to call her and text her, all to no avail. She just... left. She asked her friends, especially, Ashley, but they wouldn't say anything to him. All he knew was she moved and transferred schools and did not want to talk to him. Just like that, she was able to break the high and mighty Viktor's heart.

"Here I got it." That was quick.

He studied the resume and one look at the resume told him it was his Rachel. The resume told him she was 24 years old, and had several credits from UM. Definitely the Rachel Harper he knew.

"Send her to me tomorrow at what time again?."

"10 am.... and why?"

"You're not interviewing her, I will. Congratulations, free time for you." He was not sure if he was free at 10 but no matter what, he'd cancel anything just to see her.

"I don't get it.. wait! do you know her?"

"None of your business, you can go now Ms. Spielberg." He used the last name to let her know he was now treating her like a normal employee and not a sister.

"Is she the infamous Rachel that made you drunk for over week?"

He didn't reply.

"It's her, isn't she?" She definitely mocked him and walked off the room. She got the final laugh on that one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please share it and leave some feedbacks!