Spell Of Darkness

Chapter Three

Queen Estelle was still angry that Adelaide was alive. She tried to convince the King that she was guilty of treason and deserved to die, but he refused saying, “She is my flesh and blood. I would not harm a hair on her head.” Estelle thought to send a distant relative of the old Queen’s to do what she wanted done. As she looked about the hall she noticed a young man standing in the corner. He had black hair with piercing blue eyes and he wore only solid black clothing. “He will definitely do the job,” Estelle said aloud as she walked towards him. He readily agreed to do the job, and he set off immediately. “At last, she’ll be gone forever,” She said, as she walked back to the table.

In the meantime Adelaide was busy gathering food for the upcoming winter. She had stockpiled fruits, nuts and plants in the cellar of her cottage and was nearly finished gathering enough for winter. It had been hard work for her but she had survived. Winter was supposed to be cold that year so she had to make sure that she was well prepared. The only problem that she had was that deer kept getting into her garden. When she heard the crunch of approaching footsteps she looked up. A young man wearing solid black clothing was coming towards her holding a bow and arrow that were aimed straight for her. “Who are you?” Adelaide asked the young man. He didn’t answer her and continued forward. “Please don’t hurt me. I didn’t do anything wrong! Just tell me who you are!” She screamed as she fell to the ground. The man stopped where he was when she fell and he didn’t come any closer. He felt pity for the young girl and decided that he wasn’t going to kill her just because the Queen wanted him to.

“My name is Prince Aiden, and Queen Estelle sent me here to kill you,” he answered, stepping closer to her. Adelaide flinched away from him and scooted backwards on the ground. “Please. I will do you no harm. Estelle told me that you were a power hungry evil witch who had King Baird under a spell. I am ashamed to say that I believed her,” he sighed, reaching towards her.