Status: The content rating will probably change

Last Hope

You'll Never Know the Way the Ice Thins

Brynn walked into school that Monday with a huge smile on her face. She and Luke had had the best date ever and had been texting all weekend. He was just so sweet and smart and funny and just... perfect. Brynn opened her locker and a small note gracefully drifted to rest by her feet. Since she was wearing skinny jeans today, she bent and picked it up. The small movement cause her ponytail to bounce and she blew back the few pieces that had gotten stuck to her lip gloss.

'I had a great time with you. Can't wait to see you, babe! xx'

Brynn's smiled got even bigger as she shoved her first period supplies into her bag. Luke was definitely going to be a good boyfriend. She happily trotted to the English classroom and sat down in her assigned seat, winking at Kennedy. Mr. Carson called attendance, but Luke wasn't there. After the last name had been called, Luke strode into the room, clearly not concerned about being late.

"Sorry, Mr. Carson," Luke smirked. "Bathroom emergency."

Mr. Carson rolled his eyes, but didn't even attempt to punish him. Luke plopped down in his seat across from Brynn, and winked, then absent-mindedly started chewing on his lip ring as Mr. Carson lectured about how they needed to have their projects ready by next Monday. Brynn let her eyes flick to Luke, and he smirked as he realized just what he had been doing. After Mr. Carson sat down, he turned to her.

"Study session again this weekend?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Sure," Brynn smiled. "Sounds like a date."

"Great, but uh... can we not tell anyone we're, like, dating yet?" He rubbed his neck. "I like you, I really do. I promise. It's just uh... there's this whole thing going on with this girl I used to date and she can't seem to get it through her head that we're over. Plus, I don't really want the whole school in our business until we're, like, official..."

"Um... yeah. Sure," Brynn faked a smile. "So, um... what's up with you and Mr. Carson?" Brynn desperately wanted to cry, but like her mother always taught her, do not let anyone see your weakness. When you're having a hard time, change the subject to the other person.

"Oh, yeah. He's uh... he's my uncle. He couldn't give me a detention if he wanted 'cause I'm kind of his favorite nephew," Luke smirked again.

"Oh," Brynn smiled, but she didn't really feel it. She stared blankly down at her desk before realizing she was supposed to be finishing her half of the project.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Brynn had just sat down in her last period of the day, study hall, when Luke sat down next to her.

"What's wrong?" He asked bluntly. Even Brynn would admit she had been particularly quiet that day, but she just hadn't felt like talking. She kind of felt rejected, to be honest. Like she wasn't good enough.

"I'm tired," Brynn yawned. She wasn't lying. She was tired physically, and exhausted emotionally.

"Bullshit," Luke snorted. "This isn't about what I said, is it?"

Brynn stared down at her hands, she didn't really like the way Luke was talking to her. He seemed almost angry. If anyone had a right to be angry, it was her. "No, Luke," she deadpanned. "It definitely isn't about the fact that you don't want your friends to find out about us."

"I fucking knew it," he closed his eyes and turned away from her. "Did you ever think maybe there was a reason we couldn't tell anyone?"

"Yeah, I did," Brynn bit back. "But the only one I could think of is that you're ashamed of me. That you were afraid dating a cheerleader would ruin your fucking 'street cred.'"

"That's not why," he sighed. "Although, I can understand why you'd think that. I just... I like you a lot and I don't want you to get hurt."

"Why the fuck would I get hurt? Are you dating someone else?"

"No!" He shook his head. "I just..."

"You just what?" Brynn asked, unamused. She was so tired of this drama already.

"I dated this one girl for a while, but she made me keep it a secret. She kept trying to get me to have sex with her, but I didn't really want to and... she's kind of been threatening to make your life a living hell if I date anyone else."

Brynn looked down at her paper, then back to Luke. "And you can't tell me who it is can you?"

He shook his head. "This is a shitty way to start a relationship and you really don't deserve it, but I need to get things figured out with this girl first. But don't tell any of your friends besides Kennedy. I know you're going to tell her anyway," he grinned.

"I am," Brynn agreed. "But you need to figure this out quickly 'cause I ain't about to be a side chick."

"Of course, babe," he pecked her cheek, then got out his book and got to work.

Brynn sighed internally and wanted to slap herself for thinking for one moment dating Luke Hemmings would be easy.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Brynn and Kennedy emptied their armfuls of potato chip bags onto Kennedy's bed that Wednesday, then sat indian-style across from each other. "Spill."

Brynn sighed, but started the story she had gone over several times in her mind. "Okay. So, Luke finally asked me out after our amazing date. He kissed me and we held hands and got ice cream and just... ugh! But, Monday he told me I couldn't tell anyone - besides you, of course - that we were dating. Apparently, his psycho ex has been threatening to ruin the next girl he dates - me. So, he said he would straighten it out, and I told him he better be fucking quick about it, 'cause I ain't no side bitch."

"Wow..." Kennedy puffed out her cheeks. "Do you know who this girl is?"

"No idea," Brynn frowned.

"I don't want to make you feel bad or anything... but it feels a bit made up to me," Kennedy pursed her lips.

"I know. But the way he looked at me... I just- I trust he's telling me the truth."

"Brynn, honey, you put way too much trust in people sometimes..."

"I know, I know. But, this time, I'm 100% sure he's telling the truth."

"Alright. Then, we have to find out who this chick is," Kennedy nodded resolutely.

She pulled her pink tablet out of her bag and logged on to Luke's facebook. "Do you know how long ago this was?"

"Not a clue," Brynn sighed miserably.

"Okay..." Brynn flipped through his pictures. There were so many girls, she didn't know where to start. There were even some of their friends in these. Ashley, Jenna, Sierra... She kept flipping until she saw a girl she knew all too well. Miranda. "Shit, Brynn... did you know he used to hang out with Miranda?"

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Brynn screamed. Miranda used to be her best friend. Until, of course, she stole Brynn's boyfriend.

"No, I'm not. But, I bet we found the one girl who's psycho enough to ruin his next relationship..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Cred: First Reactions After Falling Through the Ice - La Dispute
Oooohhh.... So what did Miranda do to steal Brynn's boyfriend?
Do you think it's really her?
I haven't updated in a while, so I'm going to be updating again in a few days.