Status: Active

Even If You Turned into a Cat...

There You Are

Huffing, Aiden readjusted his backpack and closed his locker. What was the point of going to school when the most important day of his life was just a few months away? He should be fighting, training, researching – anything that would prepare him for what was to come. Knowing what kind of trade routes existed back in Columbus’s day wasn’t exactly helpful to him.

“Hey Aiden!” said a familiar tiny blonde as she trotted up next to him.

“Hey, Aly,” Aiden said. “What’s going on?”

“There’s a new student, and you know, as class president, I have to make sure she’s settled and good with her schedule, but we have no classes together until after lunch and I’ve looked everywhere for her,” Aly pouted, genuinely disappointed. She had a heart of gold, and really loved meeting and helping new people.

“Okay…” said Aiden, who did not share that philosophy. “Why is this relevant to my life?”

“Well I wondered if you wouldn’t mind talking to her! You guys have first block together,” Aly grinned, unphased by Aiden’s lack of enthusiasm.

“Yeah, I guess. I just look at her schedule and help her figure out where she’s going? What’s her name?”

“Layla Torelli. Her file says she’s got long, curly, dark brown hair and she’s pretty tan. I guess her father was born in Italy. Isn’t that super cool?” Aly laughed, and Aiden gave a small chuckle. “Anyways, thanks a million Aiden! You’re the best!” She gave him a quick hug and ran off as quickly as she came. He smiled (a real one this time) and shook his head. She was definitely full of energy.

Aiden had only just begun the walk to his first block when a harsh bump to his shoulder interrupted him. He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. “Damnit, Bryson, why ya gotta—”

“Oh, sorry, Aiden. Guess that was rude, huh?” drawled Bryson.

“You think?” snapped Aiden. “What’s your problem?”

“Just having some fun with you. What were you talking to Aly about?” Bryson was Aiden’s cousin, a master of acting like he was cool to the touch. He acted like he expected everything that happened and didn’t care what did happen, and, for the most part, that was accurate. But he did care about Aly, and had since they were freshmen.

“Is that what this is about? She just wanted me to talk to some girl for her. Relax, I’m not going after her.” Aiden rolled his eyes and turned to walk away.

“I was just wondering,” Bryson said, but a small smile played on his lips as his cool blue eyes slid away from Aiden and he began to move again.

Aiden made the rest of his trek without any further interruptions, and when he opened the door and entered the classroom, he was almost impressed at his luck. There, in his normal seat in the very back of the room, was a girl with brown, crazy curls, studying a schedule and a school map with a highlighter, no doubt trying to figure out the best way to navigate the school. They were the only two in the room, as the first bell hadn’t even rang yet, so he sat next to her (a normally unoccupied seat) and settled in. She glanced at him quickly as he sat down, probably slightly weirded out, he guessed. Aiden cleared his throat and turned towards her, holding out his hand. “Would you happen to be Layla Torelli?”

She blushed slightly, but smiled and shook his hand. “Yeah, and you are?”

“I’m Aiden Beaumont. My friend Aly is class president and wanted me to check on you and make sure you could find things okay since we had the same first block. Can I see your schedule?”

“Sure,” Layla said, handing him the paper as the first bell rang and students began to file into the classroom. “I think I’ve got most of it figured out, but I can’t find building two…”

Aiden raised his eyebrows. “Is this really your schedule?” Layla nodded and bit her lip, confused. “We have every class together. Looks like you can just follow me around for a while. We have Aly in our 4th block, so you’ll be able to meet her then.”

“Oh,” Layla said, surprised. “Okay. Is she nice? I mean, I’m sure she’s nice if you’re friends, but—”

“She’s like, the nicest girl I’ve ever met. Believe me, you’ve got nothing to worry about. She loves meeting new people.”

“Okay, cool. Thank you, um…” Layla bit her lip again.

“Aiden,” he said, laughing. Layla opened her mouth to apologize, but he cut her off. “Don’t freak, I’m here to serve,” he said, tipping an invisible hat to her. She laughed, and Aiden found himself grinning more.

The last bell rang, and class began as Aiden and Layla stole glances (and giggles) at each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's late, I meant to get it out Wednesday but instead ended up planning out a really cool plot idea and then Thursday I was hanging out with Boyfriend. it's a little longer than normal, hope it makes up for the lateness. I have next chapter written out too, not sure if I'll post it early. anyways, thanks for reading! let me know if you like it and what ya think