Status: Active

Even If You Turned into a Cat...

A Run for Your Money

“Aiden, wake up,” a distant voice whispered. “Aiden, it’s time for lunch!” it asserted again, and then it shook him. Who would dare—

Oh. Big, green eyes stared down at his newly opened ones, and any and all former irritation with the voice quickly vanished as he smiled and stretched. “Sorry, Layla, math bores me to tears.”

“Seems like everything bores you to tears so far,” she smirked.

Aiden shrugged. “I like what I like, what can I say.”

“Mhm. Is napping the only thing you enjoy?”

“That’s for you to figure out,” Aiden smirked. Am I flirting? He thought. Can’t say I’ve ever done it before…but she’s still smiling, so I guess I’m doing something right. “Hey, you have plans for lunch?” Layla shook her head. “Yes you do, I’ve got a seat just for you, don’t worry. C’mon. I’ll show you our table.”

Layla grinned bigger than he’d seen her grin all day (and that was saying something) and practically skipped the whole way to the cafeteria.

Bryson and Aly were already sitting at the table when Aiden and Layla got there, and Aiden made the introductions.

“Oh my gosh, Layla!” exclaimed Aly, who stood up and excitedly shook Layla’s hand. “I’m so excited to meet you! I’m sorry I didn’t find you around this morning, are you finding everything okay?”

“Yes, Aiden and I have the same schedule, so he has been a big help. And, I mean, he’s letting me sit with you guys today. It’s the first time I’ve had an actual seat at lunch in years,” Layla said timidly.

“Oh my gosh, you poor thing!!!” Aly practically leaped over the table and enveloped Layla in a big hug, and Bryson and Aiden shared an amused smile.

“Ah, uh, it’s okay,” Layla blushed, patting Aly’s back. “It’s not so bad, the quiet. It can be nice.”

“I’m afraid you won’t get much quiet around Aly,” Bryson quipped, laughing when Aly objected loudly, who insisted she wasn’t loud, just friendly, unlike some people!

Everyone laughed and settled into their seats, eating and chatting. It was probably the most laughter he’d heard out of Bryson in a long time. And out of me, too, he thought. When the end-of-lunch bell did ring, it was almost a disappointment, even though third block was his favorite class. He and Layla bid the others goodbye, and he showed Layla the best way to the gym as well as how to get into the girls’ locker room. After dressing out in athletic clothes and sneakers, students met out on the field to do warm stretches, two laps around the track, and then whatever sort of exercise the coaches had planned for the day. After the stretches, however, the coaches called them all to attention and announced that today would be a progress day, so they were to be timed and run a mile. They had these tests every few weeks to see how students are progressing and how effective the program was. It was also helpful information for them to recruit students to different sports, like cross country or track. That’s how they found out Aiden had potential, and now he was a boys’ team captain for both sports (cross country in Fall, track in Spring).

“Running,” Layla said beside him, startling him out of his thoughts.
“What?”

“Things you enjoy besides napping, number one: running. The way your eyes lit up just now gave you away, Aiden Beaumont.” Her smug smile and flawless pronunciation of Beaumont sent a chill up his spine as he smirked and held up his hands in surrender.

“You’ve got me there. Running is my thing. And I’m good at it.”
“Yeah? Are you on the team?”

Aiden cleared his throat and straightened his posture, putting his hands on his hips, and said jokingly, “Excuse me miss, I know you’re new here, but have some respect. You are speaking to a team captain here.” Layla laughed and then paused. She bit her lip as their classmates lined up at the beginning of the track. “What? What’s wrong? You not athletic?”

Layla quickly turned to him, and a fire burned deep in those green eyes. “No, I love running, I’ve just never been able to join a team because, well, my family—my dad—moves me around a lot. I was wondering if I still had time to join.”

“Oh, yeah, sure. They’re open sports, so you don’t have to try out or anything. Just come after school, we practice from three to four. It doesn’t start for another week, but people come out anyway to get an early start getting back into it. It’s cross country right now, so that’s long distance.”

“Long distance is my favorite!” Layla grinned, and the coach began to count down to start.

“Mine, too,” Aiden grinned back. The whistle blew, and they were off.
♠ ♠ ♠
really, really sorry this is a week late. my family moved on friday and it's been crazy since then, and we didn't have internet until a few days ago. anyways, things should be back to normal now. again, sorry!