One Step Closer

Part 8

“Okay, David. I’ll head over home right now. I think it’s my responsibility, so…” Pierre said and looked up at David who was standing on a doorstep. Meanwhile Pierre’s little girls were waiting for him in the car.

“Yes, sure. But please,… take care of yourself, sweetie.” David said and looked back into Pierre’s eyes with a sad expression on his own face. “Don’t worry, Davie. Gonna be okay.” He said and tried to smile but just a weak smile came out.

They were looking at each other for a while before Pierre just couldn’t keep himself under control and pulled David into a very tight and warm embrace. “Come on,” Pierre just had to close his eyes not to burst into tears again. He was fondled by David’s little and chubby hand. His head was in between Pierre’s head and neck.

“Please, tell me you will come. I won’t stand it there on my own.” Pierre said as he pulled away, still holding David’s hands. “Don’t worry. I’ll let you know about my coming, okay?” Pierre smiled before their lips met in a very long kiss.

“See you later.” “See you.” They said good bye. It was not that easy for Pierre to make his way back home without David. Well, he had a talk a few days ago with his mother and he knew that it wasn’t right to keep doing it this way. He SHOULD do something about it to make it right.
“Okay, girls. We’ll be right back.” He said and managed to start up but he was stoppe
d by a sentence from Lennon: “I don’t wanna come back.” Pierre was a little taken aback. He swallowed thickly before he took a look into the rear-view mirror. He was looking at his daughter who was looking really sad while she was rubbing her little hands.

Pierre didn’t know what to do at all. He was totally in puzzlement. It was truly a hard decision for him but he made it – he knew he should have come back to California.

During the way through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah straight towards California, Pierre spent all the time by crying and thinking. He couldn’t even pay attention on the road so it was quite dangerous for them to get through some hazardous parts of the way.

Just to drive 45 hours almost without a break is really hard.

“So come on, sweeties,” Pierre took Soren into his arms and Lennon by her little hand. She was carrying a teddy bear she’s got from David a few days ago. She called it Davierre – but that’s a thing nobody knows about yet.

“Hello, we’re here!” Pierre called to the house. He didn’t hear a respond. Everything he could hear was just an echo – his house is pretty huge, by the way.

“Is anybody out here?!” He called again and went in the kitchen. There was nobody. He breathed out heavily. It was the day before yesterday when Pierre’s wife called him for the last time. She said she would wait at home for them to come – but nobody’s here at the moment. It was a shot for Pierre. He thought that leaving would solve it but he was evidently pretty wrong.

“Lenny, take your little sister and go to the playroom, okay? I’ll make something to eat.” Lennon just nodded shortly and walked away.

Pierre decided not to care about it and make some food but the very first thing he did was checking his wallet he had in his back pocket. Well, his credit cards weren’t in there. He got it – 5 days ago, when he decided to come out, his ‘perfect’ wife took it. He understood she would go shopping – as usually. “Typical,” he said and rolled his eyes before throwing his wallet on the table.

Pierre, Lennon and Soren are at the table, eating right now. Pierre made some really delicious pancakes! “Your pancakes are so tasty,” the little one said before a little bit of jam dripped on her flowered dress. “Oops,” she said and looked at her father with her eyes wide-open. Pierre just began laughing and both his little ones joined in.

Suddenly, Pierre got an idea. He felt something deep inside – he just wanted to make his wife angry. He smiled at the thought he had. He put his finger into a jar of honey and smeared Lennon’s cheeks. “You have become a honey bee,” Pierre said and smiled a lot before all of them, even the littlest one – Soren, joined in. They were smearing the honey and the jam all around the kitchen.

Pierre’s hair was stained by the honey, Soren’s hands and arms were jammed and Lennon just smeared the honey wherever she could. They had a great laugh! Even peanut butter was everywhere! It was on the ground, on the table, in the sink, just everywhere. It was a day they really have enjoyed!

They weren’t about to stop and the Mama Lady came home, carrying 3 crammed shopping bags. “We are golden bees!!” Lennon was going really crazy and so was Pierre. She was running around the table and smearing the honey all around. Suddenly, a silhouette stood in the doorway. She has dropped her jaw.

“Are ya kidding me?! My kitchen!! Stawp!” She shouted and Lennon did but she was laughing inside – so was Pierre again. “You’re ‘bout damaging my kitchen or what?!” She shouted and put all the bags on the ground. “Well, you know… when I take a look at all these shopping bags, isn’t my bank card strapped for money?” Pierre asked provocatively and looked at her with a laughing expression.
She was freaking out inside. She was about protesting but Pierre was the first one who spoke: “Well and… it should be noted that the kitchen was build thanks to MY money. You have NO share on this house. You’d better be glad you have a rooftop above your head.” Pierre was radical this time. All the anger inside him was visible this time.

“Any questions?” He said and took Lennon to sit on his thigh. His wife just stepped with anger and made a really angry face. “Get out of here, it’s MINE kitchen! And bet YOU will wash the girls ‘cause I’m not in. They are as dirty as pigs!” She shouted, took the bags full of brand new clothes and walked up to the bedroom.

Pierre just hi-fived with his daughter. “We made it!” Lennon said and they were laughing all the time.
It’s time for Pierre to come back to the bed. He lulled his little ones to sleep and had a shower a minute ago. Of course, it was up to him to clean the kitchen but he knew the ‘making-her-angry’ was worth it.

He’s lying to the bed where his opposite number is lying full of anger. “Night.” He said and turned his back. “Wait, you won’t talk to me? I’m waiting for your apology.” She said and looked at him even though she couldn’t see him because of the dark that was filling the room.

“Hey, it was just for fun, you know? Did you get that joke?” Pierre asked and breathed out with a bad thought but he didn’t turn around. “I did not. Your jokes are strange-“ “Or you don’t have the right sense of humor,” Pierre told her different. “You keep prodding my girls being against me, you know?!” She was really angry.

So was Pierre this time. He couldn’t stand it and turned around, turning the lamp on. “Dear Lady. It’s not my fault that you don’t understand OUR humor. Girls were just having fun and it was the intention, you know? If you don’t get it so I feel really sorry for you.” Pierre said angrily and ironically. “Good night,” he snapped and turned the light off, turning back.

After this incident the girl knew that she would have to do everything possible to keep him. She knew something tough was happening and to lose Pierre would be a really huge problem for her.