‹ Prequel: Savage Hearts

To Eternity

To Trying

Jon had been waiting at the table for about 15 minutes. A few fans had come around congratulating him on the contract that was officially signed today, asking for an autograph or a picture before telling him they were looking forward to the next eight year. He was gracious but he was more grateful to see his wife come bustling through the restaurant, armfuls of bags in tow before plopping down across from him. He knew most fans were aware of his wedding that happened a month ago and wouldn’t bother the newlyweds as they were out on the town midday, but he could still feel the stares.

Lila was blissfully unaware, as her entire body seemed to be giving off the air of overwhelming happiness. She didn’t notice the stares, whether from jealousy or admiration, the only thing she seemed to notice was Jon. Or at least he thought smugly until her smile faltered.

“Where’s Kaner? He promised me he would get lunch with us after you did all your press stuff,” She pouted for a second.

“He said he had a date to go to.”

“See this is why he needs to be here. I have the burning desire to know all about whom he is seeing or fucking or whatever and if he’s staying out of trouble, and how Buffalo was. You don’t ask the important questions so I have to actually see him to get the information I want.”

“Well if it makes you feel better, it does sounds like he’s been seeing this girl for the past few weeks. Possibly getting serious.”

“Wow maybe I can train you, do you know her name?”

“No, but enough about Pat what’s in the bags?”

“I went a little nuts at the store today. First I have some pregnancy tests, just thought I would check when we get home, I’m like a day late,” Jon smiled as she spoke, “but since it’s only our first time trying I bought a bunch of ovulation tests if we need to keep trying,” she smiled brightly while she babbled.

“If that’s all you have in those bags you did go crazy,” Jon chuckled.

“No the other bag has photos of our wedding and our honeymoon and stuff for the wedding scrapbook my mom sent me. I’m going to add more photos to it because it just has the professional ones right now.” She reached in the bag pulling out an envelope pulled with photos.

“These turned out really good,” Jon flipped through the photos.

“I know look how in love we look,” she awed before taking the photos and flipping to a certain one, “this one of us on the elephant is my favorite picture of us ever. Tops even the Stanley Cup photos,” she showed him the photo of the two of them on an elephant. Lila looked as if she was laughing her beautiful melodic laugh as Jon’s grin looked contagious.

“I may be biased by the cup but this is nice too,” Jon replied.

“I have a bunch to send to our parents so we can put them in envelopes and send them out soon, your mom has been dying to get her copies.” Jon rolled his eyes.

“I think we should do something else first before the photos.”

“Well duh, that was a given. But don’t get too excited, I’m probably not pregnant but we have a whole year of trying before we need to worry and this is like one month. So it’s just to stay on top of things.”

Jon nodded realizing she wanted to be realistic. It didn’t stop him from feeling the excitement ooze into his bloodstream filling him with some kind of adrenaline, but he knew she was right to not set themselves up for disappointment. After everything that happened, Jon knew he at to stay serious and be a rock for her, even if he wanted to think right at the moment his first born was just starting it’s life right now in the woman sitting across from him.

After their lunch they went back to the apartment and Lila went into the bathroom and took a test. She was being realistic and yet her hands were shaking as she set down the test and set a timer. She sat on the bed next to Jon and reached over to grab his hand, he squeezed her hand.

“Whatever the test says, it’s going to be fine. Either we’re parents or we keep trying, and that’s a pretty good deal.” Jon said kissing the side of her head.

The timer went off causing Lila to jump. Jon let out a chuckle as Lila went to grab the test. She sat next to Jon and they both looked at the pink minus sign that stared back at them. Lila had a small smile before standing up and moving on.

Jon stayed on the bed. He felt his heart sink. Even though he knew it was not realistic for them to conceive so soon, he still had hope. He stood up and followed Lila’s path and found her standing in front of the calendar on the fridge.

She finished up drawing some flowers on a few days of the calendar, “I did the math and I will be ovulating in about 20 or so days, thank god I got like a thousand tests for that. So we just get past this and try some more,” Jon smiled back.

“Can’t wait.”

“Now on to more important issues, what are you wearing to the Blackhawks convention?”

“Are you trying to say my attire is more important than our future child?”

“Well I don’t want our future child to look you up some day and get secondhand embarrassment.”

“I’m not that bad.”

“Well your too tight shirts and terrible dance moves speak otherwise,” she gave a smug smirk.

Jon reached forward and grabbed her around the waist, holding her arms down and spinning her around. She screamed in shock as he carried her to the couch and threw her down before tickling her, hysteric laughter coming out.

“Not so snarky now?”

“…yes… but stop… I’m going to pee myself…” Lila spoke between breaths and laughter.

“That doesn’t sound like an apology,”

“Fine… you are fashionable…” Jon let go and Lila sat up taking in a deep breath, “but that doesn’t mean I can’t ask you to interrogate Kaner,”

“I’ll just hand him over to you to handle that,”

“Good, invite him to dinner soon. Or better yet let’s make it a double date.”

“I don’t want to feed the poor girl to the wolves, or wolf in this case.”

“I’m not going to scare her off, if I meet her I only have to get to know her and then silently judge her.”

“I kind of want to keep her away form you then, if Kaner’s happy then good for him. We don’t need you meddling.”

“Remember what happened last time he kept a relationship from me? It ended very badly for everything. All I want is to know if she’s nice, maybe get a new not pregnant friend on the WAGs.”

“I can arrange this but only if you promise me one thing,” Lila looked on expectantly, “let Kaner work this out on his own, you can think what you want or become her friend but in the end let Kaner work through this, it will be good for him.”

“But what if she’s using him for his money,”

“You and I both know Kaner is smarter than that by now.”

“I will keep my nose out of his business, unless I find out she’s like some sort of drug dealer.”

“You can’t judge anyone in that area, right?”

“Okay I will just be your wife and Patrick’s friend, who is there to have a good time.”

“Perfect, now why don’t we go back to this child business,”

“Nothing is going to happen for like 20 days, you know that right?”

“Well practice makes perfect,” Jon said with a gleam in his eye.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, I've been making crazy big life decisions that have taken over my life hopefully this helps make up for that a little bit. And thank you for all the support in the first chapter.