‹ Prequel: Savage Hearts

To Eternity

To the Future

Lila stood in front of the bathroom mirror and washed her face. She ran a towel over her face to wipe up the excess make up, she looked up and gave a little scream when she saw Jon in the mirror reflection. He jumped in response.

“I thought you were volunteering at the museum today?”

“I was,” Lila says walking into the bedroom and sitting on the bed, rubbing a hand over her face, “but I wasn’t feeling so well so I came home.”

Jon quickly moved to the bed and put a hand on Lila’s thigh, a concerned look on his face.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah fine, just a little nauseous and I’m tired and I didn’t want to give anyone else a bug so I came home for a nap.”

“Well then perfect timing then, I was about to take my pregame nap,” Jon smiled and squeezed her thigh before getting up and pulling back the covers.

Lila gave a small tired smile and rolled her way into the bed and settled in as she curled up. Jon crawled in after her and wrapped an arm around her waist and they both closed their eyes until sleep took over.

Exactly an hour and twenty minutes later Jon’s alarm began to go off. Lila groaned loudly and Jon let out a chuckle and playfully groped Lila’s breast.

“Ow! Stop it,” she jerked away quickly covering her chest with a frown.

Jon sat up and gave a work.

“Sorry I’m just sore,” Lila looked down at her lap.

Jon gave her a curious look before getting up and going to the kitchen.

Lila sat up and squeezed her own breast and winced. She reached into drawer and pulled out a tiny notebook flipping through a few pages before throwing it back in the drawer and going to the kitchen.

“When do you leave on the road trip?” Lila leaned up against the counter.

“After the game,” Jon said looking up from plate of chicken parm.

“And when do you come back?”

“In two days, it’s a short. Why?”

“Just curious.” Jon looked over with raised eyebrows, “fine the more you’re here the more likely we’ll make a baby.”

Jon chuckled and put his plate in the sink before he went back into the bedroom.

Lila pulled a water out of the fridge and sat at the kitchen counter.

Soon Jon came back out wearing a suit he leaned and gave Lila a kiss. She quickly pushed him away and leaned over into the kitchen sink and vomited.

Jon rubbed her back soothingly, “are you okay Li?”

“Yeah, I guess, it was just the smell of your cologne and- I’ll go see the doctor tomorrow.”

“That sounds good.” Jon smoothed her hair down, “ I’ll check up with you once I get to the hotel okay?” Lila nodded as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lila woke up the next morning feeling like hell. She had barely been able to stay awake as she waited up for Jon’s call and despite the early bedtime, she had woken up at 6am feeling like death.

Her whole body ached as she wretched into the toilet empty the very little content that was in her stomach in the first place. Once she finally finshied she rinsed out her mouth and sat in the bathtub. Her phone set to dial as she stared at the screen.

“You wanted to get pregnant. It would be a fun new adventure you said,” Lila spat angrily at herself.

She pulled her knees up to her chest. She really wished Jon was with her. Someone to hold her hand right now because this actually felt real. Real in a horrible overwhelming sickening way but real nonetheless.

She took a deep breath before dialing the number.

A few hours later she sat in the stark white, sanitized room of the doctor’s office. The cold air nipping at her body as she sat on the exam table. She kept looking back and forth between the stirrups and her urine sample on the counter.

“A little nervous are we?” Dr. Hedqvist smiled as she walked into the room and sat down across from Lila.

Lila let out a nervous chuckle in response, unable to use real words.

“Well I have a good feeling about this time around,” she smiled, “there’s nothing to be worried about, we’re on top of this and this could be a very exciting day for you.”

Dr. Hedqvist continued to make small talk as she drew some blood and put in a small vial.

“That’s all we need Lila, I’ll let you know the results as soon as possible and hopefully we will make another appointment for later when Jon can be here and we can talk about moving forward.”

Lila thanked the doctor and the left the office shaking. She wasn’t sure if it was the sickness coming back or adrenaline from the unknown.

Lila drove to her studio and painted to try to keep her mind clear. She didn’t want to over think anything and put herself into a fit. Especially since Jon wasn’t home at the time.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jon felt exhausted from the road trip, despite the fact it was a mere three days and it wasn’t even at the point in the season where it was a grinding along Jon felt drained.

When he walked into the apartment, it seemed strangely quiet. He put his duffle bag into the laundry room and wandered further into the apartment. He stopped in the dining room where he saw plate set with a cupcake on it.

He walked closer with a confused look. Next to the plate was a small hand painted card with a tiny pair of ice skates next to a larger pair of ice skates. He reached forward to open the card.

“I thought I heard you come in,” a sleepy Lila smiled as she walked into the room taking a seat at the table.

Jon gave a small but confused smile and opened the card.

Congratulations to my new favorite dad. Love, Lila

Jon looked up in shock, “is this true?”

Lila burst into a bright smile and tears began to form in her eyes as she nodded.

“We’re going to be parents?”

“We’re having a baby!”

Lila jumped up and squeezed Jon tight as he picked her up and spun her around.

“When did you find out?”

“The day after you left, I got really sick before my appointment so I thought I should check it out. And I’m seven weeks pregnant.”

“This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time, I can’t believe we’re going to parents… I’m going to have to call my parents…” Jon rambled.

“Oh no no no, we aren’t calling parents yet.”

“Why not?”

“I’m only seven weeks pregnant. I still have a chance of having a miscarriage so this is our little secret for the next five weeks.”

“Five weeks? I’m supposed to keep the best news of my life to myself for the next five weeks!”

“Oh come on hon, you’ll be fine. You’re very stoic.”

“But this different, I’m just so-“ Jon stopped before leaning down and kissing Lila deeply.

“Wow, that wow. Well you can’t tell anyone. I haven’t told and I’ve been waiting to tell you for two days.”

“Fine I’ll try my best for pregnant wife.”

“Thank you. And give me your schedule for next week because I’m getting an ultrasound next week.”

Jon smiled brightly.

“We’ll get to hear our little Toew’s heartbeat.”

“I can’t wait.”

They held each other for a few more minutes relishing in this moment together.

“So you bought a cupcake for me to celebrate? You know I can’t eat that during season.”

“Oh I know. It was just so you would notice the card if I fell asleep. The cupcake is for me.”

Lila grabbed the cupcake and shoved part of it in her mouth.

“I got to start bulking up,” Lila laughed her mouth partially full.

Jon chuckled and kissed her again.