‹ Prequel: Savage Hearts

To Eternity

To Home.

Jon sat on the bathroom floor while Lila puked into the toilet. He had put her hair in a ponytail and now rubbed her back soothingly while she retched. Once she stopped she wiped her mouth with some toilet paper and placed her head in Jon’s lap, looking altogether miserable.

“We can always reschedule the appointment babe, it’s no big deal.” He rubbed her back before kissing her temple gently.

“No! I’ll get up we can still make it in time.”

“Baby it’s fine.”

“No because you’re going out of town soon and then you’ll miss the ultrasound and I don’t want that. You’ll be gone enough as is,” Lila pouted before standing up and grabbing some mouthwash.

Jon nodded before leaving the bathroom.

He made Lila some toast and waited for to get ready. She smiled at him and the food before munching it down. Grabbing her winter coat and throwing it over her flannel shirt Lila made her way to the car.

The ride over she hummed along to the music while Jon drove. Him reached over and held her hand as she danced around in her seat. He wasn’t sure if was nervous or excited but either way she seemed like a completely different girl from the one from earlier that morning.

The couple got let in the back way at the office as to avoid any prying eyes in the waiting room who might put two and two together and spill the rumor too soon. Dr. Hedqvist smiled at the couple as she led them into a room and prepared the ultrasound.

“And how are you two today?”

“We’re good,” Lila answered.

“Well I’m good, but Lila almost didn’t make to the appointment she was throwing up so much,” Lila glared and rolled her eyes as Dr. Hedqvist turned on the screen.

‘That’s completely natural at this point, the big downside of pregnancy. But Lila you should know better than hiding these things, they may be normal but we’re trying to keep a close eye on this until the second trimester,” Lila looked down like she scolded until Jon playfully slaps her arm and stick out his tongue at her.

The two distract each other by making silly faces when Dr. Hedqvist interrupts, “and there’s your baby.”

The two snap there heads over at the screen producing a fuzzy image that hardly looks like anything let alone a baby. Yet, it leaves them in awe. Jon squeezes her hand tightly as they stare intently. Dr. Hedqvist hits a button and sound fast fluttering fills the room.

“And that’s your baby’s heartbeat. Like a hummingbird’s right now.”

Tears instantly fill Lila’s eyes at the thought of this being truly real and alive for the first time. She looks over at Jon who has a bright grin on his face his eyes glistening as if tears are threatening to pool in his eyes.

“It’s beautiful,” Lila whispers, bringing up their linked hands and kissing Jon’s hand.

“Well that’s about it you two, you’re progressing perfectly. I want to at least talk to you on the phone in two weeks just make sure everything it normal but the next big appointment is in four weeks. That’s the big one for you two.”

Lila’s grin grows even wider if that’s possible.”

“I’ll print off pictures at the next ultrasound but for now,” the doctor pulls a CD out of the machine, “this will have an MP3 of the heartbeat for you. And remember to schedule your appointment, you can call so you don’t have to go out front.”

The two thanked the doctor before making it back to their car, floating on cloud nine. Once they got back into the car they hugged each other tightly before Jon kissed her.

~~~~~~~~~

Jon was still floating when he made it to the locker room that day. He was a little later than he normally would be and with the tiny grin plastered on his face, the guys weren’t going to let it slide.

“Jonny, what’s got you all happy?” Sharpy grinned mischeavously as he brought the rest of the team’s attention on their giddy captain, “there a reason you’re late?”

Jon rolled his eyes and continued to get ready.

“Yeah, something good happen? Did the Captain get lucky?” Versteeg wiggled his eyebrows.

“Can’t I just be happy?”

“Happy, yes. Late, yes. Both at the same time? No.” Sharpy laughed.

“Yeah, did Lila give you something special before practice today?” Kaner winked at his Captain who was torn between getting angry and spilling the beans to get the guys off his back.

“You are still in the honeymoon phase right? Must be a lot of fun. You’re hair is a little messier than normal,” Versteeg chuckled.

Jon rolled his eyes, “Lila’s not locker room talk,” making all the boys oooh before Jon realized what he accidently implied.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to kiss and tell Jonny, just show up time if you don’t want us to make fun of you,” Sharpy laughed before making his way to the ice.

Despite the tough practice and the constant barrage of teasing, Jon still felt like he was gliding on air. It was one of the greatest highs he’d ever felt, and he couldn’t explain it to anyone around him.

~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Jon woke up and Lila wasn’t in bed next to him. He rushed to the bathroom, expecting to find his wife hunched over the toilet but found the bathroom empty.

He instead found her on the living room floor surrounded by take out boxes of donuts, waffles, bacon, poached eggs and a tub of guacamole. He chuckled as watched her stuff her face while reading a book. A stack of baby books sitting next to her.

“Am I interrupting your affair with food?” Jon laughed when she looked up in shock with her cheeks full of food.

Lila swallowed and smiled, “No I just couldn’t sleep anymore and I was starving so I picked up some food. Then I passed the book store and bought some baby books,” she held up a tiny book, “I got you this one because you can read it on road trips discreetly, but maybe after we announce it to everyone.”

Jon smiled at her excitement, he felt a little sick when a flash from the miscarriage passed through his mind, reminding him this might not last like they hoping it will be. He quickly shook the thoughts and joined Lila on the floor grabbing a piece of bacon.

“Bacon? During season? Jonny this pregnancy is changing you,” Lila giggled.

Jon reach over and grabbed one of the books and flipping through it, “so I guess we have a lot to learn.”

Lila put some guacamole on a syrupy waffle and took a bite, “these are just guides we shouldn’t follow them to a T. Parenting is about instinct too, so we have to play it half by ear. At least that’s what this book says.” Lila laughs loudly at her own joke and Jon joins in.

“I’m already hating these cravings,” Jon looked at his wife with disgust.

“What you don’t want to try some?” She thrust the waffle at his face while Jon tried to join her, she missed his mouth but shoved the sticky green mixture in face and laughed. Then she took a finger and wiped some off before licking her finger.

“You’re missing out but I guess more for me,” Lila shrugged.

The two sat on the floor and Jon helped her finish the appetizing parts of her meal as they flipped through some books together. Laughing at some of the ridiculous pictures and some of the even more ridiculous names they found in the Baby name book.

“So I have a surprise for you,” Jon said as he played with a strand of Lila’s hair.

She quickly sat up to look at him. “What is it, where is it?”

“Get in the car and I’ll show you.”

Lila looked at him curiously but followed his instructions regardless and got in the car. As Jon began to drive.

“Why are we going towards the suburbs, are you taking me out of town to murder me or something?”

“Why is that your first thought?”

“I don’t know I’m pregnant, I’m irrational.”

Jon continued to drive while Lila named every possibility she could think of until Jon parked on the side of the road in a little neighbor just a little out of town.

“What is this why did we stop?” Lila eyed him curiously as he got out of the car.

He didn’t say a word and Lila just followed him as he went up a walkway and into one of the houses.

“Are we breaking and entering, have I finally made you a criminal?” Lila said as she looked in wonder at the perfectly adorable house she was now in.

Jon didn’t answer and just smiled.

Lila wandered around for a bit on the ground floor before coming back to the front hall more confused. She stared at Jon intently before something caught her eye in the corner. Sitting on a small mat were three pairs of shoes, one she recognized as Jon, another a pair she thought she had misplaced, and lastly an itty bitty pair of red converse. Her head snapped back to face Jon.

“I know I should have talked to you but when you told me you were pregnant I remembered driving past this house on the way to Sharpy’s and I just had. We need a home for a little one not an apartment.”

“You didn’t.” Lila stared at Jon in shock.

“If you don’t like it, I can—“ Lila cut him off by kissing him fiercely.

“This is the most romantic perfect thing you have ever done. I love it. I love you. This is perfect,” She said between kisses.

Jon smiled brightly, proud of his good work before picking Lila up, twirling her around, kissing her again.

“Our first house,” Lila sighed, “That sounds so perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
There's no excuse for taking this long. I just suck. But I don't think this chapter does so maybe forgive me?