Status: active

My Empire of Dirt

Walking

I woke up with the sun inching its way up in the sky. I wiped the mulch off of my clothes and sat up. I didn't really remember falling asleep, but I shrugged it off as I unrolled my jacket and pulled it back on. I reached into my bag and pulled out a granola bar and a bottle of water. I ate the bar and took a few sips of water, careful to save some for the long day ahead. I knew that if I didn't find some place safe, I would run out of resources quickly. So, after my quick breakfast, I stood up and stretched, then started walking.

Walking was really relaxing. I didn't really have many troubles in the first place, but walking through nature further calmed my nerves. The flowers were so pretty and so were the trees. If there had been a nuclear apocalypse, wouldn't it have destroyed them already? I shrugged.

I walked for a long, long time before I found something that struck me as odd. The sun was hanging low, and my watch said it was 9:03 when I crossed a cabin. Is that the word for it? I think so. It was a small house made of wood and there was a lantern lit inside. I trudged through the heavy shrubbery to the door, then knocked. My heart pounded in my throat. I listened closely and heard quiet footsteps, then I saw the soft lantern light go out in a wisp of smoke.

I knocked again. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. I just woke up in the middle of the forest, and I'm trying to figure out what happened," I pleaded. While I must admit it was a huge relief not being the only human left, I was very nervous.

The door opened a crack and I looked for a pair of eyes peeking through. At first, there were none, but I looked down and saw a pair of brown-specked blue looking up at me. The little girl opened the door a little more when she realized I wasn't dangerous and let me in. I smiled and took off my shoes, sitting on the small sofa.

"Hi, I'm Parker," I smiled at her, stretching out my hand. She took it, wrapping her small hand around mine.

"I'm Sophie. My momma told me not to let strangers in, but you won't tell her, will you?" She whispered.

"Of course not," I smiled softly. "How old are you?" I asked curiously, this girl couldn't be much over eight.

"I'm twelve years old in three days," she grinned up at me. That really took me by surprise. "But my momma's been gone for six days. Ever since the boom."

"The boom?"

"The really loud boom three days ago. There was lots of smoke and it shook the ground. Mom went to find dad and she never came back," Sophie frowned.

"Well, I'm here now. I'll help you find your mom, if you want," I offered.

"Thanks," she smiled. "Now, do you want some soup? I made pea soup."

"You cook?" I grinned. This little girl really was something else.

"Of course I cook. I cook, mom cleans, dad hunts. Easy."

"Well, if you have any supplies, I could help you hunt."

She eyed me for a second, "You're not going to steal anything are you?" I shook my head. "My dad's extra stuff is in the closet under mom's cleaning stuff. It's my dad's, though, so make sure to put it back." I stood up to go to the closet, but Sophie stopped me. "Don't go out tonight."

"Huh? Why not?" I furrowed my brows.

"Well, you could if you really wanted. But I can't protect you if you go out there," she shrugged. "And my parents built this house super tough, so if I lock you out, there's no way to get in."

"Sophie," I said pointedly. "What are you trying to keep out?"

"Wolves. Bears, mountain lions, snakes, blah, blah, blah. Apparently, there's lots of scary things in the woods at night. That's why you shouldn't go out," Sophie held my gaze for a moment, then turned to get two bowls from the cabinet. She poured the soup into each bowl, grabbed two spoons, and pulled up a small table. We began eating, but didn't really talk. She got that I didn't really like talking, and I appreciated that.

"Tomorrow morning, we need to pack up and leave," she said out of the blue.

"What?"

"We need to leave. Get out of here. If you're still alive, that means my mom and dad are out there somewhere. Maybe they're hurt. We need to go to them," she stared straight at the wall, almost devoid of emotion. But the way her lip twitched and her voice broke slightly, I knew she was trying her best not to cry again.

"Of course," I patted her on the back. "If it weren't for scary mountain lions, I'd leave right now."

She smiled, "I should probably make a bunch more food, though. And pack some clothes. And-"

"Slow down there, kiddo. The house will still be here after we find your parents. We're only taking what you can comfortably carry on your back. Nothing more," I pointed at her, poking her nose.

Sophie rolled her eyes, "You sound like my dad, Parker. But whatever. Can I at least bring my, um..." she stopped, turning bright red.

"Your...?" I prodded.

"My teddy," she said softly, looking away.

"Sophie," I smiled. "There's no shame in bringing a teddy. Stop being so embarrassed. Hell, I'd bring mine... if I had one."

"What do you mean? Everyone had a teddy," she frowned at me.

"Well... I'm sure I had a teddy at one point," I said carefully, choosing my words. "But I... I don't quite remember who I am. I just kind o-of woke up and... started walking."

"So, all you know is that your name is Parker and that you don't have a teddy?"

"No... That's just the first name that popped into my head when I woke up. I have a letter addressed to a Parker, so I assumed it was me. It doesn't feel wrong or anything... I guess, I just don't know."

"Well..." she was clearly as confused as I was. "Let's go to bed and see if you remember anything tomorrow?"

I yawned, excited at the thought of sleeping somewhere besides the forest floor, "Deal."
♠ ♠ ♠
Two chapters in one day! Woo!
I'm feeling really inspired right now, and I'm kind of hoping to power through before the writer's block sets in...
Anyway, thanks for reading, guys!!