Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Leaving

She snuck along the dark hallway, ducking into the shadows as voices grew closer. She held her breath, waiting for them to pass. She could feel the fresh night air coming from the courtyard. She pulled the dark hood of her cloak over her face. Double checking her surroundings, she went for it, creeping along the stone barrier that blocked the rest of the world out. She knew she had to hurry. It was only a matter of time before her husband woke to find her missing.
Her heart raced as she rushed through the gates just before they’d closed for the night. The damp grass was smooth under her bare feet and she kept running, anxious to be behind the trees. She stayed close to the road, afraid of getting lost and she walked, trying to make as little noise as possible. The moon was shining through the leaves, lighting up the sky like a beacon. She lifted her skirts, hoping not to get caught when she heard horses running through the field. Men were riding out of the gates, looking for her. Her heart stopped as they got closer to her. She turned, going deeper into the forest and quickly and quietly as possible.
She stopped to catch her breath, leaning against one of the trees when she heard it; the crunch of a twig under someone’s boot. The air tightened around her and she could feel someone coming up behind her. She clenched her jaw, closing her eyes and tightened her small fist before turning around and lashing out against her predator.
The man caught her fist in his giant hand, not saying a word. Her eyes widened at the sight of him. He was huge, taller than any man she’d ever seen before; at least a handful over six feet. His face was covered in mud or something to help him blend with the night, but his eyes were bright blue when the moon hit them. He put a finger to his mouth, telling her not to make a sound. The leaves around them rustled and a moment later they were surrounded. Four more men circled them in the forest and he let her hand go, taking a step back to join them, leaving her in the middle.
Once the noise of the horses died down the men walked past her and the man she’d been alone with grabbed her arm, pulling her along behind them. He was fast, barely giving her time to get her footing in the dark mud.
He stopped, revealing a small lake encircled by the woods where they’d made camp. Embers burned low in a makeshift fire pit on the rocky shore, making sure smoke wouldn’t give their position away to any unwanted company. He let her arm go, motioning for her to go towards the others. Lifting her skirts and gently stepped on the sharp uneven rocks, wishing she’d had more time to find shoes. She felt his stare and looked back at him. He moved forward, rolling his eyes as he noticed her bare feet. He bent and picked her up by the knees, making her gasp as she was lifted over his shoulder. Her fingertips dug into his back which felt like it was carved out of stone. Making it to the camp he set her down near the fire and sat across from her, pulling out his flask to drink.
“Who are you?” she asked, watching his eyes flicker up at her. His expression was cold as he stood, taking a step towards her.
“You will not ask questions, lass. You will answer them.” He pointed. “Other than that, you will not speak unless spoken to.” He drank from his flask again before offering it to her. She took it and drank hesitantly, wincing as the alcohol hit her throat. “Now, your name, girl?” he said calmly, taking his flask back.
She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, looking up at him through her lashes. “Alana,” she said quietly, pulling her hood down, revealing her face.
He nodded, letting his eyes wander over her once before turning away. His men called his attention, leaving her alone. She stared up at the stars that shone through the clearing, breathing the fresh air of her freedom as the water waded on the rough shore. She knew some good had to come out of this somehow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't be shy, leave me feedback.