Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Family

She woke up alone to the sun shining through the opened window. Margaret shuffled around the room, setting everything out for the day. Alana shot up, her hair tumbling down her back in tangled curls. This was it, she was getting married today.
Margaret handed her a tray with her breakfast on it, “Eat up, you’ll need every bit of energy for today,” she instructed. Alana stared at the food before her, unsure if her stomach would let her handle anything. Slowly she picked at the fruit, nibbling as Margaret prepared a bath for her. She wondered what Kai was doing, hoping he still wanted to go through with this. She managed to finish her food before dipping into the warm bath. Essence of lavender waded through the soaps as Margaret washed her long hair; Alana tried to calm her nerves in the heat of the water. She relaxed alone in the room for a few minutes, dunking beneath the surface to rest against the wooden tub.
Alana sat at the vanity, hearing commotion from the court yard below. She glanced out the window, seeing the guests arriving. A pang of grief rushed through her, wishing her mother were alive to see her finally happy. She had no family; none that would take claim over her anyway. Her brothers were far too much like her father, angry and controlling. Her mother was the only one who’d taken interest in her upbringing, making sure she was both graceful and intelligent. No man appreciated her for her smarts though, none except Kai.
Margaret dragged the comb through her hair, letting it dry in the cool breeze. She brushed her face with powder, applied a red dye to her lips, and kohl to her eyes, making her lashes dark and intense. Margaret turned her to the mirror, letting her take in her new appearance.
Alana’s eyes widened, having never anything like this on her face. “What is this?” she asked, seeing Margaret’s reflection.
“It’s called make-up, dearie, for special occasions.” She patted her shoulders. “Have you really never used it before?” she asked, looking down at her.
Alana shook her head, “I was fifteen the last time I got married. He and my father disapproved of anything modern,” she shrugged, looking at herself again. The black lining on her eyes made them brighter, calling more attention. Margaret tugged at her hair, braiding it in delicate circled around her head before forming a twisted pile of curls in the middle, leaving a few shorter ones at the nape of her neck and a few to tumble down to her shoulders.
The dress was next. She stepped in, feeling the fabric mold to her. She ran her fingertips over the lace bodice, settling the butterflies inside. Margaret worked the ties, tightly pulling the air out of her. Her breasts heaved, trying to breathe. She sat down with her back perfectly straight, watching as Margaret slipped her shoes on for her, taking a final look.
“Now the final touch,” she said, reaching for the small box on the bed. She held up a delicate blue floral hair piece, what looked like a small comb. “Something borrowed, and something old. It belonged to his mother. She would’ve loved you, dearie.” She looked down at the trinket, “It’s also something new and something blue. It’s good luck. It belongs to you now.” Alana tilted her head, letting Margaret fit the elegant piece into her hair.
“Did it also belong to…?” Alana asked, realizing she didn’t know the first wife’s name.
“You mean Christiana? No, her own mother helped her on her wedding day, ghastly woman, she was. It was right before Kai’s mother passed. She never had any daughters, but she always said the right woman for her sons would be the one who could bring them back from the dead.” Margaret primped the skirts, “I always thought she meant no woman was right for them, but after Christiana died, poor Kai lost it and left without a word to anyone. Then one day, he shows up with you. That’s when I knew, you were the one he was meant for.” Alana knelt, letting the small old woman fit the veil perfectly in place. She faced her toward the mirror, letting her see the final product.
Her lips parted, staring at her reflection. She’d never been more beautiful. The blue flowers in her hair gleamed in the sunlight. She took a deep breath, trying to control her shaking hands. Margaret looked out the window, turning back to her.
“Wait here, I’ll come get you in a moment.” She said, leaving the room. Alana sat at the vanity, still in disbelief at how different she looked. She wasn’t a child marrying to fulfill her duty. This was more, it was something she was sure she’d never have; something she never thought was possible in all of her misery. This was love. It’d never been said between them but she could feel it. He felt it too, she was sure of it.
Kai stood at the altar, seeing everyone seated before him. The whispers had already started. It’s been nearly two months since he’d rescued her husband and the fire. By now word had gotten all around that the “Lamont widow” as she was becoming known as, was living with him and marrying him so soon after her husband’s “tragic” death. Rumors were that she was kidnapped and forced into this marriage. He refused to address the rumors, letting them all think what they wanted. Nothing mattered except for her.
His heart raced, palms started to sweat with anticipation, fearing she’d run away from him at the last moment. Just as he thought his stomach would give out, the door opened and she emerged, an angel in white. She paced toward him slowly, her green eyes peered up, wide and bright, meeting his eyes and a shy smile played on her lovely lips, glancing down at her bouquet of red roses as she walked.
Alana’s heart nearly jumped out of her chest at the sight of him. His dark hair was slicked back handsomely. His hands were folded in front of him and he looked up at her, his mouth turning up in a glorious grin. Those intoxicatingly blue eyes shined like he was seeing her for the first time. Light wrinkles lined his eyes with his smile. Her spirit soared, knowing this was the right thing. She glanced at her roses, trying to keep her hands from shaking.
He took her hand as she reached the altar and she finally felt every eye on her. As if he’d sensed her discomfort, he looked down at her, holding her hands, “It’s you and I. No one else.” He said quietly, seeing her take a deep breath as the ceremony started.
They walked back up the aisle as dark clouds moved along the sky. The guests were brought inside for a feast, fearing the rain. Music played in the Great hall, people stood in small groups around the room, talking as they drank their wine. Margaret had removed her veil and took her bouquet, sending her off to join the party. Alana glanced down at the simple gold band that wrapped around her finger, matching his. She smiled, biting her lip as he took her arm.
She wasn’t immune to the looks that were given to her or the whispers that died down when she walked by. Kai noticed it too, narrowing his eyes to all who stared, watching as they averted their eyes.
The feast carried on, light music played as people talked and laughed over their plates. Kai sat beside her, completely entranced as she got acquainted with the couple to her right. Smiles came to their faces as they spoke and he knew she was working on turning things around where her name was concerned. She took his hand, sending a charge through his veins that was unexplainable. She was exquisite.
A door crashed open outside the Great Hall, making everyone stop in their tracks. Alana glanced at kai, seeing alert course through him. The shouts started, two men, calling for her. She froze, recognizing them. They appeared in the wide doorway, standing in place, their eyes cold and angry, their jaws clenched. Alana felt the blood drain from her face, seeing last two people she’d ever expected to see. Her brothers.