Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Light

Kai looked at her, noticing her reaction. He stood, walking over to the men. Alana snapped out of it, urging everyone to resume their feast before she joined her husband as he ushered her brooding brothers out of the room. Taking deep breaths she reminded herself that she was going to be fine, Kai wasn’t going to let anything happen to her.
She stood beside her husband, smoothing her white skirts before she looked up at her brothers. Their eyes were glued to her, a hint of fury between the two of them. Time had changed them both. Without a doubt they were both married by now, being that they were more than five years her senior, each. She folded her hands in front of her.
“No invitation, baby sister?” She looked at James, his auburn hair had grown since the last time she’d seen him. His jaw was sharper, his chest and shoulders were broader. Tiny scars sprinkled over his features. His dark blue eyes started her down, waiting for her to crack.
She turned to Kai, trying to keep the fear out of her voice, “Kai, these are my older brothers, Niall and James.” She said, glancing between the three of them. “James, Niall, this is my husband.” She watched the same expression fall over each of their faces; possessive, unmoving. All of their jaws clenched as they looked at each other. A sour taste washed over her mouth, knowing this wasn’t going to be good.
“We heard about the fire, we thought you were dead until news of this wedding got around. You should’ve sent for us,” Niall spoke up. His blond hair settled at his shoulders, curling at the ends. He was taller than James but leaner.
“Like the last time I sent for you? I begged for your help and you ignored me, both of you. This man saved my life, more than once.” She said, standing between the men.
“You should’ve asked our permission to marry again; to marry this brute.” James gave Kai a skeptical look. Alana could feel Kai tense behind her. She put her hand on his chest, looking into his eyes, seeing him ease for a moment.
“I don’t need permission, especially from people I haven’t seen in six years. I’m not a child anymore. This “brute” has shown more kindness to me than I’ve seen my entire life. I will not apologize for marrying him.” She took a step closer, confidence ringing in her voice.
“Why did you marry so quickly?” Niall asked, glancing between her and Kai.
“He offered me a home, he offered me safety. I love him.” She covered her mouth; the words had escaped so effortlessly without her realizing it. Kai looked down at her, surprised by her words. Her brothers glanced at them both, a wry smirk played on both faces.
“Really now,” Niall crossed his strong arms. “We can’t allow this, you’ll be coming with us.” He looked unamused, reaching for her arm.
Kai grabbed the man’s wrist, shoving him back. “She’s not going anywhere.” Kai scowled, moving her behind him. Alana placed her hands on his shoulders, trying to calm him.
“They aren’t worth it, Kai,” She said gently, glancing back at her brothers, warning them. Kai stepped forward, pushing them back towards the door. Rain poured lightly over the grounds, soaking the dirt into one large mud puddle. “Leave.” He said sternly.
“We will be back, Alana. Count on that,” James pointed at her, stepping backwards as Niall grabbed his shoulder, pulling him back. Kai slammed the door, locking them out. He turned to her, kissing her forehead before taking her back to their guests. Every eye stared as they entered the room. There were no words, only utensils clanging lightly against the plates. They took their place at the dais, resuming their meal, drinking more wine.
The guests each gave their best wishes as they all left in the cloudy atmosphere. Relief washed over Kai and Alana, finally getting everything back to normal. Her stomach fluttered, knowing what was going to happen next. Margaret ushered her upstairs, shooing Kai out of the way, promising she’d come for him in a bit.
Alana stood in front of the mirror, watching as the lace was peeled off of her. She stepped out of the full skirt. The dress was packed back into its box as she slipped into her thin night gown. Margaret took her hair down, running her fingers through the long locks, setting the pins and the beautiful little comb on the vanity before her. The make-up was cleaned off, leaving her lovely face back to normal. She breathed evenly, trying to calm her nerves. Her fingers played with the little ring, reminding herself it would be different now.
She stared at herself in the mirror, biting her lip, itching for him to come to her. She wanted this, she wanted him. She was alone in the large room; the fireplace crackled, heating her cool skin, keeping her calm. The door opened gently and he emerged, stopping in his steps.
Kai looked at the delicate girl sitting across the room. Her golden curls shimmered in the fire light, giving an angelic glow to her. She turned to see him, staring up with her wide emerald eyes. He swallowed, walking to her. His large hand cupped her chin, guiding her to stand before him. The thin fabric of her nightgown became nearly invisible against the light, making it impossible to look away.
His hands rested at her shoulders, making her forget how to breathe. His ocean blue eyes bored through her, straight to her soul as her heart raced, biting her lip. His mouth lowered to hers, gently kissing her. Her hands moved to his hips, finding the hem of his shirt, meeting his warm skin. His fingers moved under the wide straps of her gown, forcing the fabric to the floor. He lifted his shirt over his head, dropping it by their feet, his eyes roaming her perfect figure. Her cheeks flushed, crossing her arms over herself. Kai pulled her arms down, bringing her closer.
She hadn’t been naked in front of a man in months. Her skin tingled, feeling his eyes on her. His hands wandered over her, sending heat through her. She melted into his strong hold as he kissed her, entwining his tongue with hers. Her arms wrapped around his neck as he lifted her against him, pulling her legs around his waist. Her heart skipped a beat, holding tighter as he carried her to the bed.
Kai woke early the next morning, seeing the flawless naked woman beside him, sound asleep. She slept on her stomach, facing him. The sheet left her back bare; her hair spilled behind her in light waves. The early morning rays were gleaming against the thin gold band around her finger. He smiled, trailing his fingertips down the smooth bare skin of her back, relaxing as he pulled her close. Alana stirred, curling against his chest, settling back into sleep. Kai kissed her hair, relishing in utter contentment.
He’d never been so at ease with anyone. As much as he loved Christiana, she was nothing like the woman beside him now. Her spirit was so sheltered; there was always something to complain about. Alana was so different; she looked for new places and new things. She was fearless, curious, sweet and selfless. She was always trying to stay out of everyone’s way, doing her best not to be a burden. She loved telling stories to the children, keeping them occupied while their parents worked on the grounds. He couldn’t help but imagine her as a mother. The thought made his chest tighten.
Alana nuzzled against his chest, prying her eyes open to the light that was filling the room. His fingertips traced circles down her spine, making her skin tingle. Before they knew it, it was time to get up. She pulled her robe on, still self-conscious about being naked in front of him. She blushed at the sight of his body when he stood out of bed, perfectly content with himself. He turned, giving her a moment of privacy while she dressed, seeing that he was doing the same. He took her hand, leading her down the stairs. A jolt like lightning pulsed through them at the simple touch and she was reminded of the night before. The passion, the lust, the love that was all there; she’d never felt anything like it before.
The day was growing hotter. He stood behind her, lifting her arms that held the bow. She aimed for the target, biting her lip as he whispered in her ear, his warm breath tickling her neck. Kai was teaching her to use some of the weapons, in case the need ever took place. She took a breath, pulling the arrow back to gently touch her face and let go, seeing the arrow completely miss the target. Kai laughed, patting her shoulders before running to retrieve it.
“No, no, no, watch,” he smiled, taking a larger bow from the ground. He set the arrow up, standing perfectly still, keeping his eyes locked at he pulled back to release. Her eyes widened, seeing it hit the center of the target instantly. “Now you try,” he said, watching her raise her bow. She readied the arrow, trying to match his exact movements. His hands pushed her shoulders down just a sliver, her hand touched her mouth as she took a breath, and she released the arrow into the air, her heart pounded as it hit just above Kai’s arrow. She covered her mouth, turning around to see him as she dropped her bow with excitement. “I did it!” she jumped into his arms, feeling him swing her in a quick circle.
“See? I told you it was easy,” he said, kissing her neck.
“Can I learn the swords next?” She asked, looking down at him with a wry smile. His hands slid, gently placing her back on the ground.
“No, no swords, we’ll stick to arrows and daggers.” He said, trying to keep a strong façade against her angelic pleas. Her eyes bored into him, her lips parted slightly. “No swords. It’s too dangerous, Alana.” He insisted. “Practice more with the bow for now, I need to check on the men.” He stepped away, scratching the back of his neck. She slumped her shoulders, exaggerating her annoyance with his refusal. She picked up the bow and kept practicing until she hit the center, just as he had.
One arrow was right at the edge of the center when he returned. Her shoulders were aching. She set the bow down, stretching her arms, trying to loosen the muscles. He handed her a flask and she eyes it warily.
“Its water,” he took a drink, offering it to her again. She drank, welcoming the heavenly liquid. “You were close on that last one,” he pointed.
“I know,” she grinned, stretching again as she sat on the ground next to him. “It’s a lot harder than it looks,” she looked over at him, seeing him drink.
“You just have to keep at it. I’ve been working with weapons since I was a child,” he shook his head. “It’s a second nature to me,”
She nodded, “Now what do we do?” She asked, standing up to look down at him.
Kai looked around, seeing his men busy, seeing the target piled with arrows. “Come with me,” he took her head, leading her around the palace. She lifted her skirts trying to keep up with his long paces. He walked through the woods, heading uphill. She followed behind, pushing the branches out of her way.
“Where are we going?” she asked, he turned to face her, pausing in his tracks.
“You’ll see, love.” He flashed a grin before turning back, continuing up the rocky hillside. She gripped at the rocks, climbing at he was. She could see the muscles in his back working through his shirt. It took all she had to focus on her steps. He made it to the top and reached down the help her.
The last rock she stepped on started to give, making her heart stop. He gripped her wrist just as the other rocks gave way, tumbling down the steep hill. Kai hoisted her up to him; her knees shook as she stood on solid ground.
“Close your eyes,” he whispered, standing behind her. She did as he said, feeling his large hands cover her eyes as he stepped forward, moving her with him. “Open,” he said calmly. She could hear the smile in his voice as he took his hands away, revealing the view.
Her breath hitched, seeing the trees that surrounded the palace, the orchards and the old oak where he’d found her. Even the cliffs where they’d jumped into the small lake could be seen. She could see the people milling about the courtyard, going on with their work, the men training with their swords, the children running in the field playing games. The noon sky was filled with clouds, rays on sunlight peered down on the grounds, gleaming off the windows. She covered her mouth, truly astonished by what he’d shown her.
“Kai,” her voice trailed off, turning back to him. He stood there with his eyes softly wandering over her. “This is…amazing,” she marveled, looking back at the view.
He came up behind her, wrapping his arms around the curves of her hourglass waist, kissing her neck. “Now it’s yours, too.” He whispered, pulling her closer.