Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Feud

Days later the sound of shouting woke Alana up. She donned her robe, peering out the window with exhausted eyes. A dark figure stood across the courtyard from Kai. They shouted angrily at each other; she winced getting a closer look at the stranger.
“Oh, no,” she muttered, rushing to get dressed. She thrashed her fingers through her hair as she ran down the stone stairs, racing for the door. The men were sauntering towards each other, cold looks glazed over their eyes.
She stepped between them, throwing her arms up to keep them from killing each other.
“Father!” she glared, outraged by his sudden appearance.
“Move, Alana,” Her father seethed, staring right over her at Kai. She took a step towards her father, refusing to back down.
“No, I won’t. Why are you here?” she asked, feeling Kai close in behind her, trying to pull her back. She shook him off, staring at the man who’d destroyed her life. His gray hair fell over his angry blue eyes, turning them dark. He glared down at her, standing almost as tall as Kai.
“Your brothers informed me as to what’s been going on. It’s time this came to an end.” He narrowed his old eyes. His jaw tightened as he advanced, reaching for his sword. Kai pulled her out of the way just before the blade came down, narrowly missing them both.
She saw the look on Kai’s face, knowing he’d had enough. He pulled his sword, raising it against her father’s. The clash of the blades rang through the air. She was left on the ground, covered in dirt as they fought. There was no way she could step in to break it up She glanced at the armory, remembering the bow and arrows she’d been working with. It was too risky; she wasn’t nearly good enough to defeat a double edged sword with measly arrows. She dusted off, shouting for them to stop. Her father kicked Kai back, knocking his large body to the ground with a thud. She covered her mouth, stifling a shriek. She couldn’t sit back anymore. Alana rushed over to him, skinning in the dirt on her knees to be by his side as the edge of her father’s blade was held at his throat. The dust settled around them, Kai sat perfectly still, glancing down at the gleaming blade.
“You can’t do this,” She shrieked, narrowing her eyes as her hands rested on her husband’s chest. “Put your sword down, Father,” she insisted, standing up tall. “Now, please,” she grew impatient, taking a step towards him. Reluctantly, he dropped his sword down. “On the ground,” she gave a pointed look, no longer caring what he thought about her.
The weapon hit the dirt and grass with a dull clang. “Alana, you’ll be coming with me.” he demanded. She showed no reaction, standing her ground. “I forbid this,”
“You no longer have a say, Father. You lost that right six years ago when you married me off to that despicable excuse of a man.” She looked back at Kai, seeing him stand behind her, ready to step up if she needed. “This man, he loves me,” She met her father’s dead eyes. “And I love him.” Her full lips folded to a thin line, refusing to back down under the old man’s cold stare.
“No, Alana. He’s a Macgregor, you’re a Duncan, I will not stand by,” he growled. The reminder of the feud between the MacGregor’s and the Duncan’s made her shake her head, stifling a laugh.
“I’m not a Duncan, Father.” She stepped forward, a smirk forming on her lips, “We’re married now. I’m a MacGregor, too. You have no say in my life anymore. He does.” She came toe to toe with him, seeing the horror on his weathered features. “I don’t need you anymore. I never want to see you again. Now, please leave.” Her voice went stern, nearly sounding like her mother when she’d tried to control her brother’s behavior.
“You’ll regret this, wretch,” he threatened, picking his sword up slowly. Kai hand his hands on her waist, ready to push her to safety again. The wind blew her hair back as she watched her father walk out the gates with his jaw clenched.
Once his dark horse was out of sight she caught her breath, shaking as she made her way to the door. She sat on the steps, feeling Kai’s arm around her shoulders. She clenched her knees, realizing what had just happened. It was like she was someone else. She’d never spoken like that to her father in her life. Her heart slowed as Kai shushed her, helping her relax as he watched the gates. She stood shakily, walking inside as her head pounded out of exhaustion. He was the last person she’d expected to see walk into her life again. Alana shuffled up the stairs slowly, knowing if her strong façade had faltered even the slightest bit, they would both be dead right now. Her stomach knotted, thankful she’d been able to stop him. His threat rang in her ears, positive that he’d meant it. He’d never made an idle threat in his long life.
Kai joined her shortly, seeing her crawling back into bed after staring out the window for some time. She was silent as she looked up at him from beneath the sheets, holding a book against her chest. He could see she was hurting. The only thought he could focus on was killing her father if it would make her feel better. She’d saved his life and spared her father’s. She’d defended him despite their families’ feud that dated back at least a century before they were born; all in the name of love. He shook his head, thinking of how ridiculous that seemed. She wasn’t wrong, though. He did love her. She’d declared that she loved him more than once now, simply to defend them against her family. Kai turned to face her, seeing her puffed cheeks from the tears that had come silently.
“Alana, no,” he said softly as she crawled next to him, leaning into his chest as she sobbed softly. “It’s okay, there’s nothing to cry about,” He eased.
“He’ll be back, Kai, I’ve only held him off for now. He doesn’t stop, he never will until he gets what he wants.” She sat up, looking at him, wiping the tears with the back of her hands.
“You can’t believe he’d kill his own daughter,” He looked down at her.
She stopped, scoffing, “Did you see the way he looked at me when I told him I’d married you, that I refuse to consider myself a Duncan? He looked at me like I had the plague and was trying to contaminate him. He wants us both dead, Kai.” She threw herself back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her hair spilled around her in shining waves like the sun on the ocean. She covered her eyes, pulling her knees up. Her bare feet clung to the edge, curling to toes to keep from slipping.
“Then we’ll prepare.” He shrugged his shoulders, knowing he could easily find someone to spy for him.
“What are we going to do? Leave Scotland?” she asked sarcastically. A slow smile curved on his face, standing from the bed. She propped up on her elbows, “I was kidding, Kai.” Her eyes widened with worry.
“It’s not a bad idea, Alana.” He raised his eyebrows, already plotting. “I know men who work at sea, it wouldn’t be difficult.”
She shook her head “Absolutely not. I’ve never left Scotland before, I’ve never been at sea; I don’t intend to go now,”
He rolled his eyes, “I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. If it comes to leaving, you have no choice. Do you hear me?” his voice was all serious. He wasn’t angry, but he had to get his point across. Alana swallowed hard, nodding. “Good, it’s only because I love you, Alana.” He kissed her forehead, seeing her lips part, surprised that he’d actually said the words out loud. He smiled, covering her mouth for a brief moment before leaving the room.
Alana lay back, dreading the idea of leaving Scotland. She wished the words had never fallen out of her mouth. Her fingertips brushed her mouth where his chaste kiss was planted after he’d confirmed what she already knew. He did love her. No man had ever said that to her before. She couldn’t even remember the last time her father said that to her. She clenched her eyes, trying to shove him from her mind.