Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Curiosity

Two months had passed since the fight with her father. The summer was heating more with each day. Alana helped with the chores around the grounds, switching jobs every few hours. She learned about caring for the horses and cooking in the kitchens, the afternoon was left for laundry. She watched as Margaret and two of the other maids finished washing the clothes. Alana carried baskets outside in the sun, hanging them on the line to dry.
A young maid named Mary followed her out, brushing her dark waves out of her face. The
men could be heard from around the stone walls. Alana looked back, hearing them get closer. Mary hung the clothes, looking back to see Patrick, Neil and William walking along. Alana gave them a smile, turning back to her work. She saw Mary flush red, fumbling with the clips nearly dropping the wet clothes in the grass.
Patrick walked up, flashing a grin to the both of them. “Ladies,” he said kindly, wiping the sweat from his brow. Neil and William turned the other way, leaving Patrick behind. “Staying busy, I see,” he pointed to the laundry.
“Aye, aren’t you, Patrick?” Alana shook out one of Kai’s shirts clipping it to the line.
“The day never ends m’ lady,” he grinned, glancing between them, Mary glanced back at him, hiding behind her dark hair. “I have to get back, don’t work too hard,” he smiled at them both. Alana could swear she saw his eyes lingering on Mary before he walked away.
“He is handsome, isn’t he?” Mary asked, glancing back at him before facing Alana.
She quirked an eyebrow, meeting the girl’s gray eyes, “I suppose so,” she helped her hang a sheet, filling the line. They carried their baskets to the next line.
“He’d never notice someone like me, though,” the girl shrugged, frowning for a moment.
“You never know, Mary. Who says you have to be a maid servant for the rest of your life?” Alana clipped linens to the line, seeing Mary pause. “Great things happen when you least expect it. You just need to seize the opportunity when it comes around.” She reasoned.
A smile curved on her fair features as they finished their work. Alana watched the girl go back inside as she walked around to the courtyard, satisfied with her busy day. The men sat drinking their water, standing in a circle with Kai in the center. He was speaking so low she couldn’t make out what he was saying. She knew he was up to something; he’d been so secretive the last few weeks. His eyes peered up, catching her glance. He cleared his throat, dismissing his men. She stood in the shade, blocking the sun from her eyes with her hand, seeing him walk over.
He kissed her mouth; his lips lingered as he held her waist, pressing her against him. Her mind clouded, forgetting the thoughts that were on her mind only moments before. She gripped his shirt, feeling her knees go weak as he pulled back, looking down at her.
“What was that?” She asked, looking towards the men that scattered the yard.
He shrugged, “Just finishing the training, that’s all.” She nodded, knowing he was lying. “You look tired, go get some rest,” he kissed her forehead, leading her back to the entrance.
In their chamber she looked out the window, seeing the men huddled together again, continuing their discussion. She rolled her eyes, deciding to forget about it. Alana stretched her tired muscles, laying back on the bed, dangling her knees over the edge as she stared at the ceiling in silence.
Hours passed, she’d slept through the afternoon. Margaret woke her, pulling out a clean gown for the evening meal. Alana cleaned up and changed, leaving her hair in waves around her shoulders before making her way down to the Great Hall.
Kai took her hand, greeting her by the doors so they could walk together. They ate quietly, stealing glances at one another when they weren’t looking. By the end of it he walked her upstairs, claiming he had some business to take care of, bidding her goodnight.
Down in his solar, he went through papers and notes, going over all the things the boy had learned of Duncan’s plans. Nothing was certain. He had enough men for an army; an attack would be too easy, too predictable. If Kai knew anything about those ingrates it was that they loved a surprise. He dropped the papers on the table, covering his face in his hands, exhausted from the past few weeks. All he wanted was to keep Alana safe. She deserved it. She deserved a peaceful life, and so far they’ve had no peace since the day they were married. He knew she was suspicious of him, he knew he should keep her informed but he knew what a toll it would take on her. Kai couldn’t risk that. He blew the candles out and left the solar.
A faint smile played on his mouth when he saw her. She was dead asleep, propping her arms under her head instead of the feather pillow. Her hair was braided behind her, the blankets only pulled to her waist. He’d seen her scurrying about all day, helping everyone with their chores. She was so excited, learning the workings of the palace. He’d never seen anyone so proper be so enthusiastic about work that was “beneath” them. In his opinion he thought everyone should learn those simple day to day skills. It wouldn’t kill anyone. He loved that she was so curious.
He’d never met a woman who wanted to learn anything about weapons. She’d begged him to let her try after watching him for hours practicing with each weapon, teaching his men. He’d been hesitant to show her until she put up a decent argument. To his surprise she wasn’t terrible. If she kept to it she could be as good as any man. She was so full of life.
Kai undressed and crawled in beside her, feeling her stir. Her eyes opened halfway, still sleepy as she sat up to fit into him, curling against his chest. Her soft curves melded to him as she drifted off again, pressing a kiss against his shoulder. He brushed the stray hairs away from her face, planting his lips on her forehead as he relaxed, feeling her even breathing before he closed his eyes.
It was the middle of the night when Alana woke up. She kicked the blankets off; way too hot. Kai’s heavy arm was draped over her. She pushed him off, feeling him roll to his back. The nightmare was too real. Memories of flames were still thick in her mind. At first she thought it was from the fire that nearly ended her life months before. She thought back to her dream, feeling it slipping from her mind. No, it was different. Something kept her unsettled. Something was going to happen. She looked at Kai, making out his strong features in the darkness. He was keeping her in the dark. She needed to know what he knew.
She sat up, pulling the thin nightgown off, leaning over to kiss her husband. His mouth began to move against hers, slowly waking up. His hands moved to her hips, opening his eyes as she climbed over him, feeling him grow harder beneath her. Heat pooled inside her as she held his shoulders, feeling his hands in her hair, pulling her braid out, holding her firmly against him.
“What is this?” he asked, feeling her move against him.
“I just want you to relax,” she whispered, kissing his neck. His hands roamed her body, lying back watching her move on top of him with her hands square on his chest. Pleasure overcame them both. Her nails dug into his shoulders, making him want to explode. His hands moved to her hips, pulling her down harder, taking control as she tossed her head back, letting go. He couldn’t hold back any longer, the sight of her like that was perfect.
He kissed her mouth, rolling them to their sides as they relaxed. He ran his hands over her velvety skin. Her breath hitched, opening her eyes. He kissed her forehead, telling her he loved her. She trailed her fingers down his strong chest before rolling to her other side, pressing her backside against his hips. He closed his eyes, never getting tired of that feeling as he pulled her closer against him.