Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Secrets

Another month had passed and Kai paced his solar, waiting on word from his spy. It’d been two weeks since his last report and he hadn’t come any closer to figuring out what was going to happen. His fingers tore through his hair as he left the room, looking for Alana.
The day was growing darker as the storm clouds covered the sky; thunder rolled as he stepped outside, smelling the rain that threatened to cover them. He spotted her under the trees with a small group of children. She stood in front of them as they sat watching her move with a book in her hand. She was so animated, changing her facial expressions as she talked, feigning shrieks as she read to them. A smile curved on his mouth, seeing how they took to her so easily. The wind kicked her hair behind her, tangling it as the air howled. He rushed over there, instructing the children to find their families.
“Let’s go, we can’t catch cold out here,” he ushered the children away, watching them run after each other. She took his arm, picking up her skirts as she walked in the uneven ground.
“They’re very sweet,” She said, keeping her eyes on them. He watched her gaze, catching something in her eyes. “Do you want children?” she asked, looking up at him. They walked on, nearly reaching the entrance. The courtyard was empty as the rain started falling. He picked her up, tossing her over his shoulder as he ran to the doors. She laughed as he set her down, color filling her cheeks as she adjusted her dress. Her eyes held his, saying nothing.
“I would like some one day,” he said, letting her walk inside. Her eyes faltered before she looked away, hoping he hadn’t seen that. He did, sensing something was wrong. “Don’t you?” he asked, taking her hand.
She bit her lip, glancing out at the storm that washed over the land. “I’m not sure I can have any,” she admitted, refusing to look at him.
“Alana?” he reached out for her, only to be denied. She walked up the stairs, seeing the flash of lightning. He followed her, seeing her walk faster, trying to outrun the subject. Alana slipped into the dark library, only to have him take her by the shoulder, making her face him.
She peered into his blue eyes hesitantly, knowing she couldn’t keep the truth from him. He was going to find out sooner or later. Her mouth tightened, “I tried a few years ago. I came close. They all died not long after I learned I was expecting.” Her voice cracked, hearing the truth come out of her mouth for the first time.
His face fell, not realizing something so terrible had been the cause of her distress. “How many?” he asked quietly, seeing her eyes well up.
“Four,” she answered, holding up her fingers when her voice became inaudible. His heart sank, feeling the weight of her pain in his chest as he pulled her close, tightening his arms around her. She was crushed against him, hearing his heart beat in her ears as she sobbed softly, thinking back to those babies, how they consumed her thought every day since each of their untimely deaths. No one had held her like this after she learned about the loss of each one. She had never felt more alone then. Kai was the first person to comfort her about this.
“No one should have to go through that, love.” He whispered in her ear. “Perhaps it was just God’s way of keeping them out of danger. That man didn’t deserve to be a father, you know that,” he said softly. “It was never your fault,” he finished.
He felt her nod against his chest, not speaking.
“Don’t fret about it; if by some miracle it happens for us, then we will surely be lucky. If it doesn’t then we will be fine, Alana. There is no pressure.” He added, “Now, relax,” he settled her into a chair by the fire. She sank into the upholstery, bringing her hands to cover her mouth as her sobs slowed down. She caught her breath, knowing he was right. Alana took deep breaths, watching as he poured her a drink from the crystal bottles.
She sipped from the glass, welcoming the alcohol. Not long after, she fell asleep.
Kai snuck away from the library, getting a gut-wrenching feeling growing inside of him. He rushed up to their chamber, tossing their clothes into a bag as he looked out the window; nothing but a peaceful rainy night. He couldn’t shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen. He moved Alana into bed, careful not to wake her. He drank, watching the outside, refusing to sleep.
Alana woke, seeing Kai pacing quietly by the window, still dressed from the day before. She rubbed her eyes, pushing her hair back. “Kai, what’s wrong?” she asked, staring at him. He turned, glancing at her silently. “Kai,”
“Nothing is wrong, I just couldn’t sleep.” He lied. She tilted her chin speculatively, pursing her lips. She couldn’t avoid it anymore. He was going to tell her what he’d been keeping from her.
“You’re lying. There’s something you aren’t telling me. It’s been going on for months now. What is it?” she sat up, ready to face the issue. Kai simply shook his head. She raised her eyebrows. “Tell me. Now,” she ordered.
He stifled a grunt, “Fine. Your father is planning something. I’ve sent a spy to check on his intentions. So far he hasn’t settled on anything specific, but I know something is going to happen soon. I can feel it in my bones.” He glared out the window.
Alana stood out of bed, “And you didn’t think to tell me this, why?” her voice grew louder.
“I didn’t want to worry you, Alana. It’s my job to keep you safe, not to make you anxious.” He defended. “In any case, I’ve made sure we’re ready to leave when he does make a move.” He took her shoulders.
“You should’ve told me, Kai. I’m your wife.” She stormed around the room, changing into a clean dress. “I’ve seen how on edge you’ve been. Don’t you think it would’ve helped if you’d talked to me about it?” she asked, tying the dress on in the mirror. He turned to face her, sighing as if to say she didn’t understand. She shook her head and walked out the door.
He gripped the ledge of the window, staring down at the courtyard. He wasn’t going to let her words get to him. Of course she’d noticed his attitude. She’d noticed the whispers and the secrecy. She was far more observant than he’d originally thought. He knew she was smart, he knew she would’ve understood but it wasn’t her job to take care of it. His fingers dragged through his hair, going off to find her.
She started towards the field behind the palace, feeling the tall grass brush against her skirts as she stomped angrily, putting as much distance between them as possible. The day was young and eerily quiet. There were no birds flying overhead, no kids running around. The workers went about barely speaking to one another. Everyone seemed so exhausted, keeping to themselves. She found a patch of wildflowers blowing in the light breeze and decided this was the perfect spot under the sun. She sat, looking up at the puffy white clouds, lying back in the grass among the flowers, taking in their scents. She closed her eyes, trying to calm down.
The wind stopped and the world was silent. The hair on her arms stood up, hearing the grass rustle. She listened for footsteps, hearing nothing. She brushed the feeling off, thinking it must’ve been Kai coming to find her. Her eyes stayed closed.
“Guess you found me,” she sighed.
“Guess so,” the voice startled her. She shot up, seeing her brother standing over her.
His cocky smile played at his lips as he watched her eyes go wide. “Niall?”
“Baby sister, all alone I see,” he said, reaching for her arm. His hold was tight as she pulled away, only to be thrust back into him. “I don’t think so, chit, you’re coming back with us.” He nodded toward the forest line and she saw James waiting with the horses.
James went still, looking beyond them. Niall lifted her off the ground, kicking into the air as she shrieked. James moved forward, pulling his sword and she knew Kai was coming their way. Niall spun around, facing her husband. He pulled a dirk from his belt, holding it to her neck. Anger flashed in Kai’s eyes as he held his sword to threaten Niall.
“Try and she dies,” She looked up at her brother, seeing his sinister stare.
“Niall,” her voice caught in her throat, feeling the cold blade on her. She watched Kai, knowing he wasn’t going to let this happen to her. Confidence radiated off of him as his eyes met hers, reminding her what he’d taught her. She took a quick breath, stomping into her brother’s foot. He released his hold as she shoved her elbow into his gut, twisting the knife from his hand. She rushed to her husband’s side, holding the knife firmly in her hand. James watched his brother fall to his knees, getting his breath back.
“Bitch,” he seethed, glaring up at Alana. She raised an eyebrow, giving him a smirk.
“Did Father send you?” she asked, glancing between her brothers.
“He did,” James answered, “He won’t be happy about this, Alana.” He shook his head. “It’s better for everyone if you just come now,” he kept his deep voice calm. He took a step towards her, offering his hand.
She shook her head, taking a step back. “I won’t go. This is my life now, I’m happy. Just leave me be,” she took Kai’s arm, looking into James’s blue eyes, hoping to see a shred of understanding.
He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck, “Then leave here. He’s already on his way by now.” James said, turning away. Niall stared at her, clenching his jaw as he held his gut before walking back.
Alana looked up at Kai, seeing that he was already plotting how to get out of here. They made their way back through the field. Neither of them said a word until they reached the doors.
“We need to get only what we need. I packed clothes for us, it’s in the wardrobe. I’ll get food and flasks for us.” He said, ready to split directions. “If you see anything out of the ordinary happening outside, find me right away. Got that?” he held her shoulders, forcing her eyes to his. Alana nodded, rushing up the stairs as he headed for the kitchens.
Her heart raced, feeling like it was going to fly out of her chest. She spun around the room, finding the burlap sack in the bottom of the wardrobe. She rushed to the library, finding her favorite book, shoving it in the bag. Surely he wouldn’t mind it. She checked out the window, seeing a group riding up on the horizon.
“Kai,” she called, over and over as she ran to find him. “Kai!” She heard his footsteps moving around the stone floors.
“Alana, what is it?” he asked, holding a sack full of bread and dried meats.
“He’s coming; quickly.” She looked up at him, trying to hide the worry on her face. He pushed her back to the stairs, throwing the heavy curtain back, shoving his body into the stone wall. “What are you doing?” she asked, confused by his actions.
“It’s a passageway. Only a select few know about it.” He shoved against, moving the wall like a door. Stone scraped against stone as it opened and he ushered her inside.
“Wait!” she cried, turning back to run.
“Alana there’s no time, what it is?” he asked, looking back at her.
“I forgot something, here,” she handed him the bag, “I’ll be right back, Kai,” she fell out of his grip and hurried up the stairs. Her eyes set on the vanity in the room as she shuffled through the box of jewelry, looking for the only thing that truly held meaning to her. Under everything, there it was. The delicate blue flowered hair piece that Margaret had given her for her wedding day. She couldn’t bear it if something happened to this, especially since it’d belonged to Kai’s mother. She turned to leave, smelling smoke fill the air.
Fire. She pushed the comb into her hair, running out the door, covering her mouth. The doors were burning below. She heard the shouts of men, recognizing her father’s voice among them. She snuck along the halls, doing her best not to make a sound. A cough formed in her throat, threatening to betray her. She made it to the stairs, descending swiftly as the smoke grew thicker. Roaring flames rose higher, making their way up the stairs. She danced around them, making sure no one was around. Thankfully she made it down. The corner of the curtain had caught fire and she hurried behind it, seeing that Kai was still there, waiting for her.
“Thank God, Alana.” He whispered, pushing her ahead of him as he closed the door. “I thought I was going to have to run after you,” he said, holding a lit torch.
“I know. I was lucky not to be seen. He was so close to me.” She pulled the piece out of her hair, gently tossing it in the bag. “What is this place?” she asked, taking in the dank smell, feeling the dirt covered stone floor beneath her shoes. It was pitch black down here except for the little light offered from the torch he held.
“Tunnels, they were built at least a century ago.” He said, walking ahead of her.
“Where are we going?” she asked, keeping up with him.
“You’ll see, love.”