Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Shadows

Alana stood on the shore, feeling the water wade up around her ankles. Her toes dug into the sand, staring out at the sea as the wind tossed her hair wildly. The ocean seemed so scary when she’d arrived but she couldn’t deny that it was beautiful. The cold water splashed at the hem of her skirts as she looked back to the castle. Kai and Campbell stood on the balcony, looking out to the horizon as they talked business. Kai’s eyes wandered down to her, offering a smile before he looked away.
“Gotta say, I never thought you’d be settled again.” Campbell drank from his glass, nodding towards Alana as she stepped through the rocks on the shore. “She must really be something,”
“Aye, she is. She was running away from home when I found her in the woods. Bastard Lamont nearly killed her.” Kai tightened his jaw; his anger fueling at just the thought of that man.
“Lamont?” Campbell straightened up, turning to Kai.
“He’s after you too?” he asked, tossing his drink back before calling for another.
“No he’s gone for good. Duncan has been after us since we got married.” He shrugged.
“Now why is that?” Campbell asked.
Kai shook his head, drinking more whiskey. “He’s her father.” Campbell’s expression was not reassuring. Kai didn’t need his friend to tell him how bad the situation was. He sipped again, turning to see the waves crashing against Alana’s legs. She nearly jumped out of her skin from the cold. She lifted her skirts to her knees, wringing out the water before dropping them again. The sun was high that day and the sea was calm. If there was ever a perfect time to sail away, it was now. Her head turned, giving a carefree smile as the wind slowed around her. He shook his head, nearly forgetting the world around him. She made him forget the danger.
Campbell finished another glass and turned to Kai, “A ship can be here tonight. In case anyone has followed you this far, travelling by night would be better for you both; especially with your uncanny ability to see in the darkness, MacGregor.”
Kai nodded, “That’ll work, thank you,” he walked away, leaving his glass on the stone rail of the balcony. The air on the shore was significantly cooler as he neared the water, drawing closer to her. The wind blew her hair in front of her shoulders as it picked up. His arms wrapped around her shoulders, feeling her stiffen for a brief second.
“You scared me,” she whispered, turning to face him.
“My apologies, love. I have good news,” he smiled wryly, looking down at her. Alana quirked her thin brow waiting for him to finish. “We’ll be leaving tonight.” He watched the smile spread over her face as she pulled tighter against him.
“By ship, is that right?” she asked, her hands lingering around his neck. He nodded, looking past her at the sea. “Where are we going?” Alana asked, looking back to follow his gaze. There was nothing out there but the waves.
“Wherever we want,” he looked down at her, dropping a chaste kiss on her mouth.
Alana shoved their things back in the bags they brought with them, watching as the maids watched curiously while they walked by, pretending not to notice. Without a doubt she knew that they’d go back to work gossiping about the strangers on the run. Kai was busy settling arrangements with Campbell in the solar, mapping out a plan for them to take as they waited for the ship to arrive. She glanced out the window, watching for sails to glide across the sky; still nothing. She continued to pack, brushing her frazzled strands of hair out of her face.
The British girl walked into the room after peeking through the cracked door. Alana struggled to remember her name for a moment. Isla sat on the edge of the bed, debating whether to speak or not.
“Did you enjoy your stay?” she asked quietly, careful not to meet Alana’s eyes.
“I did,” she answered, tying the bag into a knot the way Kai had. “How long are you staying?” she asked, taking a good look at the girl. The sun brought out the red in her hair, making it glisten as it fell in waves behind her shoulders.
Isla averted her eyes, “I—I’m not sure, m’ lady. I’ve already been here two months.” She shied away, biting her bottom lip.
“Is your family here waiting to go to court?” Alana pressed, remembering the brief week she’d spent at court years ago with her husband. The elegance of the crowd with their fashion; the dancing and the feasts, it was all one large party after another. Every girls dream was to go to court and fall in love with a handsome stranger.
“No, miss, I’m afraid I don’t have any—“ the door swung open, revealing the men.
“Ladies, hope we aren’t interrupting anything,” Roderick gave Isla a warning glance that set Alana on edge. The girl stood from the bed, smoothing her skirts as she stared blankly at Roderick, deciding to hold back whatever remark had come to mind for the sake of the guests.
Kai took the bag from Alana, looking out the window to watch the horizon. “No worries, love, the ship should arrive after dark,” he squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. The sun was starting to dip behind the sea as it set and they all left the room.
“I hope everyone at home is alright,” Alana took Kai’s hand, thinking about Margaret and the other maids. The memory of the flames taking over the house was forever scorched in her mind. “I wish we could’ve warned them about our departure.”
“Alana, you know we couldn’t have done that. The less they know the better. I’m sure the men did what they could to help the others.” It was the same conversation they’d had since their walk in the tunnels. He’d told her how they may never return home, and how it may no longer be standing if they ever did. Knowing her father he was probably right. Even so, she couldn’t help but feel responsible if anyone was killed in the incident.
The maids wandered the halls, lighting the torches and lanterns throughout the castle. Darkness was falling faster now. Campbell stepped out to the terrace, looking out over the edge. Isla stayed close to the doors, watching everyone’s movement quietly. Kai looked out to the sea, a sinister smile spread over his face.
“Kai?” Alana asked, feeling chills dance up her spine.
“There it is,” he pointed. She followed his gaze, seeing a shadow flowing over the water quickly and quietly. Alana’s narrowed, trying to see the ship itself only it was too dark. There were no signs of light, even as it drew closer to shore.
Within minutes the night was completely black, as was the water. They all walked down to the rocky beach, both Kai and Roderick helping the women as they tried not to fall between the rocks. Kai reached around Alana’s waist, pulling her against him as he helped her down to the sand. Isla gripped onto Roderick’s shoulders as he hoisted her down beside him. The moon became visible from behind the clouds casting light across the water until a black shadow glided through the glistening waves, hiding the moon behind its dark sails.
Alana’s blood went cold, the ship looked like the stuff of pirate legends, nearly invisible in the night, perfect for sneaking up on other ships to raid them before they even know what’s happened. Kai didn’t seem surprised by it. In fact, he looked pleased to see the ship, rushing to the water’s edge as a lifeboat drifted to shore with two men inside. Alana stayed put, avoiding the icy water for as long as possible. She drew her shawl tighter around her as she watched her husband interacting with the men who would be taking them away from Scotland.
Kai brought them over, sloshing out of the water in heavy steps. “My wife, Alana; Alana, this is Gordon and MacLeod, old friends.” He said, turning to Campbell, who must’ve already known them. She glanced at the tall figures in front of her, her skin prickled with fear at the sight of them. They certainly looked like pirates to her. A wave of sickness threatened to break through her. They stayed quiet, eyeing her for brief moments at a time before it was insisted that they climb aboard.
Goodbyes were said quickly before Kai helped her into the lifeboat and before she knew it they were being pulled into the air and over the edge of the railing, officially on the brooding ship. The other men seemed enthralled at the sight of Kai, greeting him as he pulled her beside him, keeping her close. He introduced her to each and every one of them though she’d soon forgotten all of their names. She soon realized that he’d worked closely with these men once upon a time. She could feel eyes on her everywhere she turned and the thought scared her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to update, been a very busy few weeks. I want to thank you all for reading and please let me know what you think, what you'd like to see happen, anything at all.