Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Ambush

The air grew thinner the longer they rode, signaling that they must be close to the mountains. The sun was high when they decided to stop. Another river could be heard through the trees as the men led their horses to drink. Alana stretched, her muscles trapped for too long in Kai’s hold. She rolled her neck, taking the cloak off. She could feel Kai’s eyes on her before he followed the others.
She helped set up camp, having a brief conversation with one of the men as he taught her how to build a fire. It seemed simple enough but for the life of her, she couldn’t get it right. Alana brushed her blond curls out of her face, biting her lip as she tried again. The man laughed, taking over for her. His name was Patrick. He seemed nice enough, but he could tell she was uncomfortable around the lot of them.
Kai made his way over, reaching down for her hand. She took it, feeling his calloused fingers grip around her, lifting her up. He led her to the river, handing her soap and a thin linen towel, ordering her to bathe.
She blushed, removing her new boots as he turned away, facing the forest. The water was calm as she descended, gasping as the freezing water covered her. She washed quickly, swearing she’d seen him steal a glance as she ducked her head under the surface to rinse her hair. Grasping for the towel she walked out of the water, ready to dress as fast as possible.
He glanced back, feeling something stir inside him before he turned away. Her dripping hair left streaks down her body as the towel clung to her, revealing every curve. Bruises were spattered down her arms and legs and he clenched his jaw, walking back to her.
“What is that?” he asked, watching her eyes widen as he got closer.
“Excuse me?” she asked, pulling her gown against her for cover.
He grabbed her arm, “This.” He said, trying to hold his anger in. She pulled out of his grip, taking a step back, leaning against a boulder. “Is this why you ran from your husband? Did he beat you?” he asked, dragging his fingers through his dark hair.
“What if he did? What concern is it of yours?” she asked, raising her voice. His eyes narrowed, knowing she was right, it wasn’t his business.
He turned away, “Get dressed,” He ordered. He could feel her green eyes boring into him as she changed. He couldn’t get the image of her half naked body out of his mind. It would’ve been perfect had he not seen the marks as well. He clenched his fist trying to fathom how some men could do this to their wives. It wasn’t uncommon, but it certainly wasn’t right.
She walked past him, using the towel to dry her hair as he followed behind her. It was a short way back to camp. Alana turned, meeting his eyes as she stopped on the trail.
“Do you really want to know?” she asked, crossing her arms. He closed the distance, standing by her side, nodding. “Can we go somewhere, away from them?” she asked.
He shook his head, leading her back to the river. Alana climbed on the boulders, staring out to the water and the mountains the peaked in the distance before facing him. He climbed up to the boulder next to hers and waited patiently, seeing that she was trying to find the right place to start. Fiddling with her hair she started braiding it over one shoulder as she met his eyes.
“I was fifteen when I married him. It was arranged by him and my father.” She said, glancing down at her lap solemnly. “He’s nearly thirty years older than me.” her eyes drifted back to the scenery, biting her lip. “I had no choice but to marry him. I was promised a good home, a good name and a good man. I was too young to realize that it was only a business deal to my husband. I thought he loved me and I was terribly wrong.” She paused, shaking her head. “Six years I had to take his beatings. He did unspeakable things to me, his friends did unspeakable things.” Alana’s voice was low, almost a whisper as she fought back tears.
Kai’s jaw was tight, biting back the oaths he wanted to spew. He clenched his fist, ready to find that man and kill him. Alana stayed silent for a long time, refusing to look at him. He watched her, seeing how pale she’d become, haunted by her own story. It was no wonder she wanted to leave.
“He will pay for what he’s done, lass.” He shook his head, speaking softly. “You won’t be hurt like that again, I can assure you that.” His eyes searched her face; her fear had broken through her tough façade. Her eyes locked on his, watery and soft as she tried not to cry. She wiped her eyes, nodding. She climbed down from the boulder, walking back toward the woods. He quickly followed behind, taking her wrist gently turning her to him.
“Where are we going?” she asked; her voice cracking as she spoke.
Kai looked down at her, “My home.” He said, “I haven’t been back in a very long time.” He continued walking.
Alana slid her wrist out of his hand, crossing her arms as they made it back to camp. Darkness was falling around them as the flames grew in the center. She’d never told anyone how her marriage truly was. She’d never let anyone see the marks left by her husband. She hadn’t intended for him to see them either. Kai wasn’t a man she’d ordinarily trust, hell she was certain she’d never trust another man again, but he was proving to be different. Her life was in his hands and she knew he could take it from her in a second if he wanted to.
Kai was quiet around the fire, possibly processing what she’d told him. She found herself wondering about his home, about his past and why he had been gone. Perhaps he was a mercenary, off fighting wars for other countries. She took her hair down, setting the damp curls free around her shoulders. He wrapped his plaid around her shoulders as the air grew colder, handing her some bread.
The wind was mean that night, sleep evaded her and she lay awake, staring up at the stars. Kai slept on his side, facing her. One of the men leaned against a tree keeping watch and all seemed peaceful. Her skin prickled, something wasn’t right.
Leaves rustled in the distance and she thought it was just her imagination when the man keeping watch, Neil, pulled his knife from his belt. She turned to Kai, shaking him awake, His blue eyes shot open and he rushed to his feet, grabbing his knife as well. He pushed Alana behind him, waiting for someone to find them. The others were already at their feet, holding their weapons ready.
A battle cry was shot through the darkness and a group of men rode through on their horses wielding their swords and arrows, taking shots at them. She fell to her knees, backing away from the fight, ducking behind a patch of trees for cover. Loud thuds were heard as men fell to the ground; strikes of swords and knifes meeting pierced the air and she could feel someone moving toward her. She grabbed a handful of dirt, her heart racing as she waited for something to grab her. The steps got closer, twigs breaking under the heavy steps.
A hand took hold of her hair, pulling her up as she fought against him. She screeched in pain, tossing the dirt into his face. He coughed, grunting as he let her go, wiping the mess from his eyes, “Bitch!” he shouted. She ran into the woods, breathing heavily, trying to get herself lost in the night. The sound died down behind her and she knew she was far enough away. Yelling could still be heard and she kept moving, knowing the attackers were trying to find her.
She stopped, sliding in the dirt as the trail ended. She stood at the edge of a cliff and backed up, hiding between a cluster of bushes and trees. She caught her breath, glad that she was paying attention. Men were still running the forest, calling out to her. She sat silently, clenching her eyes and mouth shut so she wouldn’t give her position away.
The air stiffened a moment later and the cold metal of a knife met her throat. He pulled her hair, lifting her against the hard steel of the stranger’s chest. His arm wrapped around her waist, carrying her back towards the others. Fighting was useless, though she tried. He was unmoving and she kicked against him, pulling at his arms. Something moved in the darkness, trying not to be seen. Seconds later the man was falling to the ground, taking her with him. She shoved his arms off of her, scrambling as she ran to Kai, thankful that he was okay.
Kai took her face in his hands, his eyes searching her for any damage before taking her into his arms. His hold was strong, his heart raced in his chest against her cheek. Her fingertips dug into his back, her knees weakened as if she might faint.
They were gone within minutes, taking off into the night. With her back to him, he held her waist, pressing his chest against her back. By the break of dawn she was asleep in his arms, the shock of the night finally wearing off.