Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Return

Kai shook her awake, whispering in her ear. They stood on top of a hill overlooking a small castle. She rubbed her eyes, nearly blinded by the sunlight. The view was breathtaking. He took it slowly, the others following behind.
Through the gates she saw people milling around the courtyard doing their jobs. Everyone seemed to stop at once, seeing them ride in. Some eyes her peculiarly like she didn’t belong. They all seemed shocked by his appearance. He dismounted, pulling her down next to him as the stable boy rushed over to take the reins. He took her inside, meeting with one of the maids. The woman looked as if she’d seen a ghost.
The old woman rushed up to him, taking his hands, gripping up his arms to his face. “You’re alive!” she cried, smiling in disbelief. “It’s been years, my lord,” she shook her head, glancing at Alana. “And who is this?” she took Alana’s hand, studying her.
“Margaret, this is Alana, our guest.” He smiled down at the old woman. She brushed her graying hair out of her face. “Please, prepare her a room and arrange baths for all of us.” He said, patting her shoulder.
“All?” she asked.
“The other men will be in momentarily, Margaret.” He explained. Margaret pulled him aside, whispering something to him. His face went stoic, hearing whatever she’d said. Alana averted her eyes, noticing the place.
Blue and gold tapestries covered the walls and heavy candelabras were lit around the room. Margaret retuned her attention to her as they stepped back.
“Dearie, I’ll show you to your room now,” she smiled.
Her eyes met Kai’s and he nodded, “I’ll be up in a bit, Alana. You’re in good hands.” He said, watching the women walk away.
The bath was deliciously warm. Margaret washed her hair as another maid set out a clean gown for her. Though she knew they’d noticed the bruises they said nothing, possibly concluding that in the condition she arrived in it would come as no surprise to be a little banged up. Her muscles eased in the hot water, finally relaxing for a change. The women left the room and she was alone to take it all in. She was free, she was safe. She sank under the water one last time before stepping out.
The room was smaller than she was used to but it felt perfect. A wardrobe stood in the corner with a few dresses hanging inside, a small vanity sat near the window complete with a looking glass and a large bed took up most of the space, made up with perfect pillows and lush blankets. It was all she needed. She dried off quickly and laced her gown before combing through her long blond hair. A light knock came at the door and she crossed the space to answer it.
Kai stood there, dressed and clean. He looked astonishing, smelling of exotic spices. It took over her senses as he entered the room. She sat on the edge of the bed at a loss for words.
“You look nice,” he said, looking around the room. “I hope everything is alright,” he looked down at her.
“Yes, thank you.” She smiled up at him. “How long were you gone?” she asked, her curls falling over her shoulder. He looked up at the ceiling, exhaling heavily as he thought.
His jaw tightened, “Four years. That’s a story for another time,” he shook his head. “Dinner will be served soon. I’ll have Margaret bring you down.” He opened the door, turning back to her.
“Where are you going?” She stood.
“I have some business to take care of,” his eyes looked haunted as he stepped out. “I’ll see you soon, Alana.” He said, shutting the door behind him.
She sat back on the bed, staring out the window to the setting sun. She breathed calmly, relaxing against the pillows. Another knock rapped on the door before Margaret stepped in. Alana sat up, watching her bustle around the room cleaning up.
“Come here, dearie,” she waved her hand at the small vanity chair. Alana sat in front of the mirror, glancing at her reflection. She seemed so different than she had a few days ago. She looked older, stronger somehow. Margaret twisted her hair, pinning it up at the back of her head.
“How long have you been here, Margaret?” Alana asked, looking up at the old woman.
She smiled, working the pins into her hair. “I’ve been here many years, my lady, since before their father was born.” She said, pulling her fingers through the tendrils at her neck.
“Their?” Alana asked, admiring her appearance.
“Yes, ma’am, Kenneth and Kai,” she nodded, tightening the bodice of her gown. Alana held her breath, feeling the air being pushed from her as her stomach was forced in. Her eyes widened as she held her stomach, unable to breathe, she untied the strings in the front of her bodice, letting a little relief off of her perfect figure. “There you are, now let us go meet the men.” She smiled, leading her down the stairs. She found herself wondering what had happened to Kai’s brother. Did he take over while Kai was away? She could’ve sworn he looked irked about something when they’d arrived. Margaret took her into the great hall where a long table stood in the middle of the room. Kai and his men stood drinking out of their glasses and immediately stopped their conversation to look at her. Kai stepped forward, taking her in.
“You look…” His voice trailed off, smiling down at her. “Please, sit,” he pulled a chair out of her, letting her sit at the table before he took his place next to her. Dinner was served and they ate joyfully, enjoying the endless ale and food that was spread across the table. The men reminisced about their journeys together and she listened carefully, hearing the gory details of battle.
A shout brought the room to silence as a man strode in quickly, dressed in his traveling clothes, he was tall, almost the same as Kai, His hair was lighter, strands falling over his dirty face, his eyes were the same bright blue. He stopped in the middle of the room, angry.
“Brother, how dare you show up here with no notice; as if you hadn’t left? You don’t belong here anymore, Kai.” He spat, continuing his pace to the table, shoving the platters of food to the floor in a fit. Alana jumped back, her drink spilled down her chest.
“Kenneth, it’s always a pleasure to see you, too.” Kai said calmly, his mouth tightened to a thin line. He stood, locking his eyes on his brother. Kenneth’s eyes shifted to Alana, noticing her for the first time. Something about him was familiar.
“My apologies, my lady,” he bowed, letting his anger simmer. “Margaret, please take her to change.” Kenneth ordered. “We will continue this in private.” He pointed at Kai, leaving the room. Margaret shuffled around the table, taking her hand to walk her out. Kai followed, excusing himself from the others as they exchanged glances.
The solar was dark, dimly lit with torches on the wall. Books were spread on the round table as well as papers. Kenneth looked out the dark window with a blank stare as Kai shut the door behind him. Kenneth shook his head, still seething. He’d always had a short temper. Kai examined one of the books, waiting for Kenneth to speak.
“You have until morning to leave, brother.” He turned. The fire place crackled behind him. Kai looked up, giving his brother a blank stare.
“You have no right—“
“No! YOU have no right; you chose to leave, Kai. Since she died you’ve been this unreachable wreck and now, what? You’ve decided to be a leader? This place needed you and you left.” Kenneth’s eyes narrowed, leering at him.
Kai clenched his teeth, swearing under his breath. Only Kenneth would have the nerve to bring her up at a time like this. “My wife was murdered, Kenneth. Murdered. Forgive me for wanting to catch the sick bastard who killed her.” He paced along the wall. “But I am back, for good.”
“I brought this place back to life, Kai. You can’t just take it back like you were never gone,” he shook his head, thrashing his fingers through his hair.
“You think I don’t see that? This is not a game, Kenneth.” Kai stormed out the door, hearing his brother following him.
“Kai!” he called, grabbing his arm. Kai turned, Kenneth exhaled heavily, weighing something on his mind. “I’m leaving on business tomorrow night. I’ll be gone a fortnight. You can keep charge while I’m away and when I return we can discuss it further.” He said, calming down.
“A fortnight,” Kai said. “And if all goes well, I can take over.” He negotiated.
“We will discuss it then,” Kenneth pushed.
The air changed and Kai could feel her presence. Alana made her way down the stairs in a less formal gown. Kenneth’s eyes were glued to her, a feeling he didn’t like. As she made her way up to them his heart raced, knowing his brother’s intentions were not right. She looked different, more relaxed than she had been at dinner.
Alana looked up, seeing the men looking at her. Back in her room she couldn’t get Kenneth’s face out of her mind. She couldn’t put her finger on why he was so familiar. Something felt wrong about him. His mouth curved into a dark smile as his eyes peeled away, glancing back at his brother.
“Forgive me for my rude interruption earlier, my lady.” His eyes traveled over her, coming back up to her eyes. “Have we met?” he asked.
Alana extended her hand; he raised it to his mouth, kissing gently. Shivers ran down her spine. She remembered him. Forcing a smile to her face, she spoke. “Alana,” She glanced at Kai and he could tell she was uncomfortable.
“Unusual name, I’ve only met one other girl with that name.” He still held her hand and her heart raced.
“Please excuse me, I’m afraid I’m not feeling well,” She pulled away as Kai took her arm, taking her back up the stairs.
“What was that?” He asked, closing the door behind him. She sat on the bed, clutching the edge until her knuckled turned white. She stared at the floor, refusing to meet his eyes. Kai knelt in front of her, “Alana,”
“It was him.” She shook her head, her eyes blurring as she blinked the tears back. His questioning look told her to be more specific. “My husband let him…” she trailed off, breathing frantically.
Kai stood, “Did he hurt you?” he asked, his eyes growing cold. She didn’t speak. “He didn’t,” he tore his fingers through his hair, pacing quickly as he put the pieces together.
“He did.” She whispered. The nightmarish memories flickered in her mind, feeling like she was going to be sick.