Status: This is my first story on here, please let me know what you think.

Captivity

Trust

She wandered around the grounds, looking for Kai. He was gone before she woke up that morning. The day was cloudy, hiding the sun. Men practiced in the yard but he was nowhere to be seen. One of the men from their trip, Patrick, made his way to her, his tan skin gleamed with sweat as he wiped his brow with the back of his hand.
“He’s not here, m’ lady,” he said, returning his sword to its sheath.
“Do you know where he is?” she asked, smoothing the front of her skirts. He looked around the courtyard as if he knew something.
He shook his head, “I think I might know where he is,” he said, taking her hand. “Come with me.” he pulled her toward the gates, walking behind the trees.
She moved through the trees, following close behind Patrick. It was denser than it looked. “Why would he be out here?” she asked, pushing the branches out of her way. Dirt quickly caked at the bottom of her dress. She knew Margaret would not be happy about that.
“He probably doesn’t want to be found.” He looked back, shrugging his shoulders.
She pushed her hair out of her face, “Then why would you bring me to him?” she swatted at the bugs flying around them.
“I worship chaos,” he flashed a devilish grin, turning back to the trail. She caught her breath, taking in his words. Did he think there would be trouble if she showed up without Kai knowing? It was too late to turn back now. He paused, waiting for her to catch up to him. They moved again, making a break in the trees. He stopped at the edge of a cliff, looking down at a small lake in the center of the rocky semicircle. The view was breathtaking. Trees as far as the eye could see. Her heart raced as she looked down, taking a step back to keep from falling.
Something moved at the other end of the semicircle. Kai stood at the edge looking straight down at the water. Her heart stopped as she stared, afraid he’d fall. “Oh my God, Kai!” she shouted, rushing along the edge of the cliff, trying to get to him.
Patrick rushed after her, “Wait, Alana,” he called, grabbing ahold of her arm.
She fell back into him, turning to see fear in his brown eyes. “I’m fine, Patrick, let me go.” She insisted, pulling away. He followed her still as she lifted her skirts, careful for her footing. She kept one eye on Kai, making sure he was still standing there. He threw his head back, possibly annoyed. Minutes later she made it, nearly falling over from exhaustion.
“What are you doing here, Alana?” he asked flatly. He rolled his eyes, giving a cautionary glance at Patrick. Her cheeks were red from running, her hair was disheveled, frizzing around in the humidity.
“I’ll leave you two to it then,” Patrick said, walking through the trees and out of sight. Alana watched him leave, waiting for Kai’s head to explode.
“You shouldn’t be here.” He said, capturing her attention once more. His face was unreadable; his tone was calm, keeping something hidden beneath the surface. She stayed still, resisting the urge to touch him, to ease him.
“Why are you here?” she asked quietly. His piercing eyes flickered to hers and she could tell he was distancing himself. “Don’t push me away,” she looked at the ground.
That caught him off guard. He came out here to clear his head. Since she’d been around he hadn’t been able to think clearly for even a second. She consumed his thoughts; when they touched at all it took everything in him not to make her his. He didn’t think he was ready for this. She was so different from the rest of the women he’d been around the last few years. None of them had an effect like this on him.
“I’m not pushing you away, Alana.” He said, running his hand over his hair. She looked up, running her eyes over him.
“So what is it, then?” she asked, taking a step towards him. He glanced over the edge and back at her, a devious grin spread over his features.
“Swimming,” he said, removing his shirt.
Her breath hitched at the sight of him, trying not to stare. “From up here?” she asked, her green eyes widening.
“Do you trust me?” he asked, kicking off his boots.
“What?” Alana pushed her hair back from the wind.
“Do you trust me?” Kai repeated.
His eyes locked on hers, waiting for her answer. “Yes,” she hesitated, biting her lip.
“Take off your shoes,” he instructed, watching her nervously kick off her flat slippers next to his boots. He took her hand leading her to the edge of the cliff and looked over with excitement. She gaped at him like he was out of his mind and he laughed.
“Kai what is this?” she asked, unblinking.
“Jump on three,” he nodded, holding her hand tighter.
“What! Jump?” she exclaimed, feeling her stomach drop.
He ignored her question. “Just trust me, Alana.” He said calmly, holding her eyes. “One…Two…Three,” and they jumped. Her hand tightened around his as she screamed, feeling the wind rush through her. The water drew closer and she held her breath, sinking beneath the surface. Their hands parted once they landed and she pushed her way back to the top, thinking her lungs were going to collapse. It was the most liberating thing she’d ever felt. She gasped for air, swinging her hair behind her. Kai resurfaced a moment later, swimming over to her.
“What is this place?” she asked, looking up at the rocky wall behind him.
“My hideout; I come here to relax. Very few people know about this spot.” He said, moving closer to her. “What did you think?” he asked, looking up with her.
She smiled, drops of water falling down her face. “I’ve never done anything like that before,” she gleamed. “It was…exhilarating.” She said, pushing past him. His arm caught around her waist, drawing her closer. She held his shoulders, remembering the night before. Desire pulsed through her, urging her to taste his lips again. His hands grazed her waist, noticing her cheeks flush at the contact. Averting her eyes, she scoured her mind for anything to distract her from him. Impossible, he invaded her senses, clouding her mind every moment.
He let her go, watching her wade in the water, putting distance between them. She looked up at the gray sky, breathing evenly as her hair splayed out in the water around her. Alana closed her eyes, listening to the world. The air grew quiet. She opened her eyes, looking around the water; he was gone. She panicked for a second, ducking beneath the surface to look for him. The water was too dark; she came back up, still no sign of him.
Something brushed against her bare foot and she jerked her knees up, feeling a hand run up her leg. Her eyes widened as he broke through the water, laughing. “Scared you,” he said, still holding her knee.
Alana splashed at him, blushing deeply across her features before turning away from him. “You arse,” she scolded. His hand moved up to her waist, holding her back against his chest. He fit perfectly against her, molding her to him. She turned in his arms, the heat of his body warming her against the cold water.
Their eyes held for a second too long and she couldn’t help herself. She lifted against him, tasting his mouth with a chaste kiss. His blue eyes widened at the contact, his hands moved to the back of her thighs, wrapping her long legs around him. He covered his mouth with hers, relishing the action. Her lips parted slightly, giving him an opening. His tongue delved into her mouth, sliding against hers as she kissed back. She wrapped her fingers in the ends of his short hair, thinking she couldn’t get enough. His fingertips clenched at her figure and it took everything he had not to rip this dress off of her. His lips moved to her neck, groaning into her, knowing he couldn’t take it further. He wouldn’t take advantage of this girl.
The kissing slowed as they breathed each other in, Kai rested his forehead on hers, seeing her dark lashes sticking to the tops of her cheeks with droplets. She looked up at him with those mesmerizing green eyes; her lips were perfectly swollen, looking as innocent as could be.
“We should get back,” he whispered, gently kissing her neck.
She paused, gripping his shoulders tighter, “If you insist,” she said reluctantly.
They walked back through the woods; she’d wrung out her skirts, wrinkling the fabric before making their way up the hill along the cliff’s edge to get their shoes and his shirt. The woods seemed darker now, more frightening. Alana reached for Kai’s hand as he led the way. He squeezed her hand, giving her reassurance. She stepped through the mud while rain started to fall. She ducked under the branches, moving closer to him. Darkness descended as they reached the end of the trees and ran back through the gates. The courtyard was empty. Thunder sounded, startling her. Kai pulled the heavy doors open, letting her run in first.
“Quick, upstairs,” he whispered, pointing to the grand staircase. The hall was empty. Lifting her skirts, she ran up the steps, hearing him follow her. He shut the door behind them, immediately undressing.
Alana turned away, catching a glimpse of his nearly naked body. He clearly wasn’t self-conscious. She struggled with the ties of her bodice, her hands shaking. She caught her reflection, instantly hating her wet hair. It hung in thick damp strands stuck together as the top of her head began to frizz as it dried. She pulled her gown off, knowing he still had his back to her. Her mouth gaped open, seeing his bare backside, the muscles of his body looked like they were carved in granite. He was the definition of perfection.
She pulled her soaked slip off, seeing how it clung to her skin, undeniably see through. She pulled her robe over her, seeing him dress in the mirror. She tore the comb through her hair, quickly diminishing the tangles as he walked over to her.
“I’m afraid I have some business to tend to tonight. I’ll be in late. I’ll have Margaret bring you some dinner,” he said, kissing her forehead gently. He left the room before she could say a word. She braided her hair over her shoulder, dressed for bed and slid under the welcoming covers, ready for sleep.
A hand yanked her awake. She jolted, thinking it was a dream, opening her eyes in the darkness. The hand on her was all too familiar. “No,” she whispered. In the light of a lantern she locked eyes on him, knowing her nightmare had come true. Her husband had found her.