Back to Black

Prologue

~5 months after Hogwarts, October 1994~

"Have you not told him?" His voice seethed as he pointed to the next room.

"No I-"

"You haven't told him? You haven't told him of how I felt for you? How I kissed you, held you every night! How you slept in the same bed as me?" His voice was a furious whisper.

"How can you expect me to tell him this? It will only destroy him" I countered turning away from the counter to face him. His rugged features stark in the grey light that poured through the kitchen window from the storm clouds rolling in. His eyes reflecting the stormy weather outside.

"How can you stand here and say you love him when you're keeping this secret from him? He deserves to know the truth Ella!"

"How can you say you love your friend when you only wish to rub the one thing that would break his heart the most in his face! Remus it wasn't as if anything came of it! I love you but not as you seem to love me! What happened at Hogwarts between you and I was simply the acts of comfort from a friend."

"A friend" He chuckled sarcastically shaking his head.

"Yes" I confirmed stepping closer to him "A dear, dear friend."

"A dear friend whom you took advantage of" He accused.

"Remus" I scolded my voice growing louder than I anticipated.

"Its true! You knew of my feelings for you yet you continue to lead me astray!"

"I was not in my right mind! I was an emotional basket case for Christ's sake!"

"A basket case who longed for affection from the man she knew wouldn't deny her..."

"What's going on?" the voice appeared from the doorway. His concern and curiosity cutting through the feverish hushed tones smoothly.

I stepped toward him, wrapping my arm around his waist "Nothing darling" I placed a kiss on his stubbled fuller cheek and turned back to face Remus as he leaned his arms back using the counter as support as he looked at the two of us from under his bangs. "Just getting out story straight before the Ministry comes. We really need to thank George Weasley for the heads up."

"Yes" Sirius spoke slowly eyeing the two of us suspiciously he pointed his finger between the two of us and laughed "Its not my birthday or a holiday so I don't know what the two of you are up to, but I'm suspicious."

I forced out a fake laugh and gave Remus a stern look as Sirius turned back to the den downing the rest of his fire whisky. Remus was giving me a glare and threw back his firewhisky in one gulp.

~*~*~*~

"So you have not had any contact with Sirius Black?"

"No" My voice was strong and even as I stared the Auror in the eyes and placed my tea cup down. "Not since his trial. Oh and what that was nearly twelve years ago?"

The Auror nodded marking something down in his black book "And you Mr. Lupin?"

"Nor have I you see I wan't even country side during this time. I was-"

"Away at Hogwarts yes I see that here. And I also have Ms Scott you accompanied Mr. Lupin."

"Well actually I grew nervous hearing of all the news bulletins and living here alone only increased my paranoia so I wrote to Dumbledore and he invited me."

The second Auror was silent as he looked around inspecting the various framed pictures that sat around the den. I eyed him suspiciously before the first Auror , Mr. Pocai pulled my attention again.

"So-"

The soft padding of paws on the hardwood caught Mr. Pocai's attention as both Remus' and mine. I felt my eyes widen and a panic arise in my stomach.

"Oh what a charming dog" Mr. Pocai commented as Sirius emerged in his animagus form. His shaggy black coat clean and brushed. His bright eyes staring at us intently. He approached Mr. Pocai and allowed the man to scratch him behind the ears.

"Yes he is" I chuckled nervously as Sirius came to sit beside me placing his head on my thigh "He was abandoned and starving, the poor thing. And clearly he's a male I fed him once and he never left."

"Yes that's how we males are. Always looking for the next meal." Mr. Pocai chuckled.

"Yes he has been the perfect addition to our perfect, little family." Remus spoke grabbing my hand that rested on the couch cushion between us. Simultaneously, Sirius, Mr. Pocai and I looked up at Remus.

"You see while we were at Hogwarts it just brought back so many memories of our youth. That I " he paused looking at me "I just fell in love with Ella all over again only this time as more than a friend."

The shock must have been obvious on my face as Mr. Pocai turned back to me.

"Is this true Ms Scott?"

I swallowed hard and bit the inside of my cheek as much as I hated it I had to agree. If Remus and I's story didn't match the ministry would demand an immediate internal investigation. Sirius growled softly from beside me.

"Ms Scott?"

"Uh yes. I'm sorry I'm a little shell shocked to be honest. Remus and I had agreed to keep our relationship quiet at least to begin with."

"Oh I see. You a rather private person Ms Scott?"

"Yes I am. I would rather have what happens between I and the ones I love" I looked at Remus "Stay between myself and the ones I love."

~*~*~
"Thank you again for your time Ms Scott Mr. Lupin. I wish you the most happiness in your future" Mr. Pocai declared pulling his cloak to him "Oh and if you hear from or see Mr. Black let us know aye?"

I nodded and gave him a smile before he and his partner walked to the chimney and floo back to the ministry.

"Perfect little family? Remus what the hell were you thinking?" I screamed throwing my tea towel at him.

"Yes I believe I would like to know the same" Sirius barked as he reentered the room adjusting his jacket.

"I thought it was time you knew the truth Sirius.." Remus began, his voice soft but serious.

"Truth?" Sirius asked coming closer to me and wrapping his arm around me. "What truth was in that load of rubbish you fed those men?"

"I do love Ella in the way I said" Remus continued and I felt Sirius stiffen beside me "And for a long while I believed she loved me in the same manner."

My eyes locked with Remus' and gawked at him. Sirius removed his arm from me completely and advanced towards Remus.

"What exactly do you mean in the same manner?" Sirius voice was grim and soft.

"When Ella came to Hogwarts she stayed in my chambers with me." Remus began and I lowered my head, it would only go down hill from here. "We shared the same bed, we spent nearly every waking moment together and.. and I kissed her and she kissed me back Sirius more than once."

My eyes clenched together, this could not be happening. My dark curls fell around my face shielding me from the two men.

"Ella" Sirius breathed his voice wavering.

"I'm sorry Sirius but its not what you think!"

"Not what I think? That's what they all say and it always turns out to be exactly what I'm thinking! How could you do this to me? To us? And with Remus of all people!" His voice was raised laced with hurt.

"I wasn't myself I was upset! When it happened I just needed someone..." I trailed off.

"You're right you weren't yourself. The Ella I fell in love with would never have done this" He spat at me and tears began to break free.

"Now Sirius don't-" Remus tried to reason as he placed a hand on his distraught friends shoulder, but Sirius interrupted him midsentence with a punch to Remus' jaw. I screamed out in shock and dropped to Remus' side on the ground his nose and lip were bleeding. Before I could say anything Remus wiped at his lip and gazed up at Sirius a murderous look in his eye before he roared and launched at him. The two locked up brining them both to the ground both punches flying, feet kicking and teeth knashing. I backed up into the wall tears streaming down my face as my hand covered my mouth I fell down the wall to the floor watching as the two best friends fought.

"Stop!" I screamed "Please stop!"

The fighting continued as I closed my palms around my ears and clenched my eyes shut. Soon I could not distinguish between my rushed heartbeat and the thudding of fists. My breathing was ragged and labored. "JUST STOP IT!"

And with a loud pop it was all quiet.
♠ ♠ ♠
REC, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE!