Back to Black

1

The boa of dread encased my heart and being as I hid my face in my hands. I released a deep breath, dragging my hands down my face and gazed up at the motherly woman as she bustled around her kitchen preparing tea and muffins. I attempted to contain my anxiety as I stared down at the papers. This was no coincidence, It couldn't be. And Harry oh my poor Harry was right in the middle of it all. Trouble seemed to ride on his back just as it did James'.

"Oh no don't fret Ella you know Dumbledore will keep Harry safe." Molly comforted as she placed the tea and muffins before me and joined be at the long table.

"I know Molly its just..." I sighed pausing and cupping my tea "The dark mark and now Harry's name appearing the cup.. Its just so much."

My gaze fell upon the papers that lay before me once more. One headlined read 'Terror at the Qudditch World Cup' and the other 'Scandal in Triwizard Tournament : Harry Potter selected as Fourth Champion.'

"This can't be a coincidence Molly. I'm afraid for Harry. Someone has knowingly placed him in this danger. Is it so wrong of me to want to help and protect him anyway I can?"

"We'll just wait to hear back from Dumbledore lets not worry yourself into an early gave over something you have no control over." her warm hand encased mine and I gave her a shaky smile and turned back to my tea.

"So have you heard from Sirius?" Molly began after a short silence for the sake of conversation. Still leery of my convicted convict of a husband she and the rest of the Order had been informed of Peter's betrayal therefore Sirius pardoned in their eyes.

"No Remus neither" I took a sip of the arm tea "I expect they're still throwing punches at each other if not physically then at each other's egos. You know how men are..."

"Yes but it still does not give them the right to act like children. They're grown men for Heaven's sake."
She tisked sipping her own tea.

"Thank you again Molly for allowing me to stay here I know I've been a burden."

"Oh nonsense" she waved her hand "I've always enjoyed your company Ella. Its nice having someone to talk to while the children are away at school and Arthur is away at work."

I nearly jumped out of my skin as a tapping erupted from the window I jumped up before Molly and allowed the owl into the home I handed the letters to Molly and unrolled the daily prophet and realized a sigh of relief.

"He's safe." I sighed holding the paper to my chest before showing the headlines to Molly.

"All four contestants complete first challenge with Potter soaring on to the Second." Molly exclaims loudly reading the headline. I sigh happily falling back into the chair. The grief had lightened in my heart immensely.

"Ella" Molly whispered I looked up at her and noticed she was offering me a letter with my name scrawled upon the front.

My eyes read over the letter once and then once more to verify before I folded it and shoved it into my cloak.. I looked up at the redheaded woman and stood.

"I have to go."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I stalked down the dimly lit hallways with purpose. My loose curls billowed behind me along with my cloak, the rectangular box tucked under my arm as the lanterns elongated my shadow against the stone. It seem as of lately every time grief found me I found myself running back here. Back to the only place I truly felt at home.

Entering the common room left a strange sense of deja vu lurking in my mind. I heard the slight chitter chatter of conversation as I stepped into the main room to find who I was looking for. His green eyes caught mine and shined with surprise and glee.

"Ella" he called out rushing up and engulfing me in a hug. I sighed happily pulling him closer to me and petting his hair slightly. Any anxiety I felt now gone as I held him, he was safe. He pulled back and looked at me happiness obvious in his expression.

"What are you doing here?" He questions.

I retrieved the daily prophet from my cloak and revealed to him the front page. 'Update on Triwizard Scandel: Potter Soars His Way Into the Second Challenge.'

"Dumbledore sent me a letter. Said you might could use my assistance."

I felt this was a better explanation than Dumbledore's words of 'extra eyes for extra safety' . I didn't want to worry Harry or add anymore anxiety than was already present.

"That's great!" Ron chirped.

"Yes we'll need all the help we can get!" Hermione confirmed eyeing Harry and I she suggested she and Ron head to bed.

"Yeah, great! But why? Are the others getting help too?" Harry questioned looking puzzled.

"No I'm afraid not. Dumbledore wants to make up for the age difference I assume." Sighing I bit the bullet and decided to be fully honest "You were fortunate to make it out of the last challenge, Harry. This next one will be far more difficult. Whoever put your name in that goblet wants to see you suffer. I'm here to make sure that doesn't happen."

"Yes I know. Sirius mentioned people die in this tournament and that whoever put my name in the cup was no friend of mine."

"Sirius? You've spoken with him?" the color drained from my face.

"Yes just before the first challenge. Wasn't he in contact with you?"

"Urm not recently no. We've..." I searched for my words carefully "Had a falling out, of sorts."

"A falling out? Harry's voice was concerned and slightly frantic.

I closed my eyes and waved my hand to dismiss him "Nothing for you to worry about."

Harry nodded slightly his eyes dropping.

"Erm what is that?"

"Oh this" I reposition it and offered it to Harry "I took the liberty of picking out your dress robes. I assume you've been informed of the Yule ball?"

He nodded as He took the box from me. "Thank you!"

"Do you have a date?"

"No not yet" he sighed setting the box aside and looking at me directly. "I'm not the best at talking to girls."

I laughed "You Harry? Why I would think girls would be falling over themselves for you!"

"They all seem to hate me. They think I put my name into the cup on purpose."

I suddenly understood. "They don't 'hate' you, Harry. They're just... miss leaded. I'm sure you will find someone."

He nodded solemnly.

~*~*~*~

Christmas Eve approached quickly. Harry and Ron had managed to find dates although neither seemed too eager about them. Hermione sat before me fidgeting nervously as I finished her makeup as the charmed hot iron curled her hair. She was nervous to accompany the Durmstrang poster boy, Victor Krum to the ball.

"Just relax" I chuckled as she jumped at the sound of the hairspray.

"Right" she nodded breathing deeply "relax. Its just a dance. Just a dance infront of all of Hogwarts, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons" Her voice was gaining anxiety as she spoke.

I placed my hands on her shoulders and kissed her cheek gently. "You're ready just relax and have fun. You're special Hermione regardless of what you think something about you caught Krum's eye."

She nodded exasperated before standing her peachy pink dress falling in place as she did. Before she looked at me and her face fell.

"Oh no!" she gasped and I looked at her concerned "You've spent all your time on me and now you're not ready!"

"Pfft" I waved my hand at her and circled my wand before the length of my body a white fog appearing around me before disappearing revealing a stunning chiffon pearly white one shoulder gown upon my form.

We both descended down the staircase to see Harry's back to us and a few other students standing around the entrance to the great hall. The Patil girl mentioned something to Harry who turned and to look at us both. Krum walking behind him met Hermione at the last step. She gave Harry a shy wave as Harry turned to me and stepped forward.

"You know its not fair to upshow all the girls at their own ball right?" He questioned kissing my cheek I chuckled and winked at him.

"What can I say? Its the veela in me! I see the robes fit nicely!"

"Yeah they did" he spoke with gratitude before McGonagal ushered Harry to stand in line at his post I slipped past them and managed through the crowd just as the trumpets sounded and the four couples entered and took their stance to dance. I cringed slightly as Harry looked from side to side obviously lost as to what to do in the dance. Before long Dumbledore escorted McGonagal, Igor and his date and the rest of the staff joined them. I was on my own watching the fun as a hand grasped mine and pulled me to it falling into the step of the dance.

"Tell me does it amuse you to dress like an underage girl and not your age." The voice sneered.

"Does it amuse you to belittle me so, Severus?" He sneered as we spun around the room gracefully earning a few curious glances from students.

"Was there a reason you pulled me into this waltz or have you missed me that much?"

"How's the boy?"

"Harry? He's fine or as good as can be expected in this situation why?"

Snape remained silent concentrating on the dance floor or over my shoulder.

"I know you loved her..." I spoke and his eyes flashed over to me. "But what I cant understand is if so, why you treat Harry so terribly."

"He favors so much of him" his voice was soft "I can't help but feel everything he put me through and then he looks at me and all I see is her. Her eyes.."

" He's in danger in this tournament..." I whispered. "Lilly's son. He might die. Someone has put him in this danger."

"I know.." and with that the song ended and Severus released me and bowed before walking away leaving me alone again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry had kept me on edge for the remainder of the year. By the second challenge Harry had assured me he had unlocked the secret and had a plan. That didn't stop the dread and anxiety that enveloped me like a warm coat. He resorted to using gillyweed. As the time passed my nerves grew.

With the veela girl disqualified the Diggory boy surfaced first then Krum. My eyes scanned the glassy surface with no sign of life. I began to worry. Ron and a blonde girl surfaced and I realized they were the keys meant to be retrieved. With still no sign of Harry I began to shrug out of my cloak and jacket just as Snape ceased my moments and nodded toward the water as Harry flew straight up and on to the dock. Placing second.

By the third challenge my nerves were fried. I stood behind Harry my arm over his shoulder and resting on his chest protectively as Dumbledore read through the introduction I was sure Harry could feel my heart pounding through his jacket. Before he had to move to take his position. He turned and pulled me into a hug. I hugged back tightly before pulling away and cupping his face.

"Don't stop keep moving." I whispered. He nodded before pulling away and entering into the maze.

Hours passed and I walked my short five steps before repeating them again. Krum had been bewitched and removed from the challenge and Fleur had to forfeit.

I stopped beside Dumbledore and whispered"Its been too long. How much longer until they go get them?"

"Hard to say Mrs. Black these tournament challenges have taken days sometimes weeks in the past." He mused.

I groaned before falling back into my pacing. I held my nail between my teeth before a load pop filled the air and the band started up. Harry and Cedric both fell to the ground the cup clutched in Harry's hand. But something was wrong. Something was very wrong.

Fleur let out a blood curdling scream and I came to the conclusion Cedric was dead. Dumbledore bustled to Harry's side before Harry began to wail

"He's back! Voldemort's back!"

My brain blocked out any further noise and before I knew it bodies surrounded me and I was lost in the hustle. Minerva and Severus appeared beside me and I looked at them.

"Where's Harry?"

Dumbledore, Minerva, Severus and I swiftly made it back to the castle to find Harry and Moody. Albus kicked in the door and stunned Moody back into his chair as Harry back away from him I pulled him to me as Dumbledore held him in place and Snape poured the serum down Moody's throat. He chocked and spluttered as Dumbledore began to question him. Harry attempted to move toward him but I pulled him back again. Soon finding that Alaster was in the chest I moved Harry closer to the door. Moony moaned from the bottom of the chest as the imposter began to wither around like a worm on a hook. His image began to deform his skin melting on bone his hair growing darker and his form shrinking.

"Barty Crouch Jr." I whispered.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours." He pulled up his sleeve to reveal the dark mark. Dumbeldore pulled Harry's arm to show the deep cut within his forearm.

Crouch began to gleam with glee. "You know what this means. He's back! Lord Voldemort has returned!"

"I'm sorry sir I couldn't help it" Harry whimpered.

Dumbledore gave instruction of sending an owl to Azkaban when Barty lunged for Harry. Immediately I stepped aside as one hand gripped my shoulder and the other drove the sharp dagger into my gut. I gasped as Harry looked at me astonished. Snape threw Crouch back into the chair and Minerva held her wand on him. Snape carefully removed the knife and examined it as I covered the wound.

"Its been cursed" Snape gasped dropping the knife effectively just as my knees began to give way, he caught me.

"You know where to take her." Dumbledore spoke concern etching his face. Snape nodded before bending down and picking me up. My lungs began to burn and spots dotted my vision. The burning spread from the wound up into my chest restricting my lungs.

"Ella, Ella!" I could hear Harry call out concern and worry coating his voice like honey.

I tried but failed to form words as Snape pulled me close and we apparated. I was hanging on to the consciousness by a thread. Snape kicked at the door ferociously before someone answered.

"Snape what the bloody hel-

Cutting the voice off Snape pushed through the door and I noticed every sound had begun to morph in and out of pitch I closed my eyes to push it out as the searing pain unfolded in my head. Before long I felt the softness of a bed beneath me but it only caused further pain. I cried out and withered as I arched up off the bed. I was hot, stifling but then every movement caused excruciating pain.

I heared the voices one angry, once concerned and the other calm.

A thud caught my attention causing me to pry my eyes open I could make out a figure holding another cloaked in black to the wall barking words at him. A cool rag was placed on my forehead before I closed my eyes and allowed the black to consume me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poorly written and sort of an awkward chapter but I felt it was important to have. Just an important filler between the Prologue and official beginning of the story. I wanted to fill in what Ella did through the year and how she and Snape have an unspoken understanding of one another now and a sort of a mutual respect for one another.