For Her

With A Little Help From My Friends

The off season was by far the best that Tyler has had since he got drafted. And that’s including the year he won the Cup.

He spent every single day with his little girl. He woke up when she did, and fell asleep when she did. He took her with him to training every day, positioning her so that they could see each other while he was working out. When she cried, he would set his weights down and take care of her. And when he needed inspiration to do one more set or bump the weight up a little, she was there to remind him why he has to be the best.

Despite the average five hours of sleep each night, Tyler has never felt more rested and has never been in better shape.

Jordie calls it his “new fatherly glow” when he meets up with the brothers back in Dallas. Tyler punches him in the shoulder, but smiles and secretly tucks the phrase away in his brain. This year is going to be great, he can just tell.

As fantastic as the season is for the Stars (and especially for Tyler), he still isn’t able to get through it without his friends.

He’s so lucky that Kylie loves Jordie’s girlfriend, Catherine. He still isn’t sure about leaving her with a nanny, and his mom and sisters aren’t able to spend time away from their own lives to stay in Dallas. He’s beyond thankful that Catherine is willing to take care of her during the day before she goes to classes at night. She’s going to school to get her master’s in business and administration, but her bachelors was in english. Fortunately, her boss at work is pretty lenient. As long as her work is getting done, he doesn’t care if she actually comes in to the office or not.

He’s also really lucky for his captain, who’s taken the role of “godfather” a lot more seriously than most people. Since Jordie moved in with Catherine and Kelsey left, Jamie and Tyler decided to move in to Tyler’s house together. Jamie is now there to help whenever Tyler needs him. He even gets up in the middle of the night sometimes when Kylie has a bad night, so that his line mate isn’t completely dead the following morning.

The moment Tyler realizes their co-dependence, though, is when they are arguing about diapers in the middle of the store.

(Because damn it, Jamie. She’s got sensitive skin!)

A little old lady stops next to them and tells them that they must be very proud of their little girl. And that she’s got two great fathers who are doing the best for her. Tyler starts to correct the lady, to tell her that Kylie is actually his daughter, and not Jamie’s. But Jamie just says thank you and grabs the more expensive (but better for sensitive skin) diapers. He leads Tyler out of the aisle and into the line at the register.

Neither of them even mention the comment ever again. Jamie never even thinks twice about it. But it does open up Tyler’s eyes to the fact that he really isn’t by himself. Maybe he’s not in a relationship (no matter how many people think he and Jamie are together). But he’s not a single dad. Not by a long shot.

On Kylie’s first birthday, the Stars media team debuts a video online of all of Kylie’s best moments so far, from her first game to Tyler and Jamie arguing about who’s jersey she should wear. It even includes the short clip that Freddie posted on Instagram of Kylie’s first steps. (Tyler totally does not cry when it happens.)

It’s safe to say that Kylie is a great example of the saying “it takes a village to raise a child.”

Tyler and the Stars don’t win the Cup again this year. And it’s harder for him, since they made is so close. With his little girl finally mobile, he wanted to be able to win the Cup. For her, you know?

But the season isn’t a complete bust. Tyler makes the All-Star team and gets to share his love with the rest of the league, rather than just his Dallas teammates. He’s even on the same team as his former Boston captain, who seems impressed that Tyler has completely changed as a person.

No shit, he’s changed. Boston fucking broke him. And Kylie has built him back up again.

Tyler spends the off season in the same fashion he did the year before- vacation with the whole family, Kylie, training, Kylie, vacation with the Benn brothers, Kylie, more training, Kylie.....

He realizes at one point that his Instagram has become a Kylie shrine. Every other picture is of her. But really, who cares? She’s his whole world.

He actually has a serious conversation with his mom at one point about how wrapped up he is around her little finger. He’s slightly worried that he’s so whipped by his little girl that he’s going to end up turning her into a spoiled brat. But Jackie assures him that he’s not too crazy. He’s just a father. That’s how he’s supposed to be.

As long as he doesn’t always give in when she actually starts asking for stuff.

Tyler’s first real challenge comes when Kylie is four. Aunt Catherine and Uncle Jordie got married the year before (Kylie was of course their flower girl) and had their own little baby that they now have to focus on. So Tyler has to hire an actual nanny to watch Kylie. He’s lucky enough to find an older woman who’s basically perfect. The only problem is that she isn’t a hockey fan. But Kylie and Tyler are both determined to change that.

Kylie and Anne Marie spend a lot of their afternoons at the park, but she’s also started day care four days a week. One day, Kylie comes home with a very surprising question.

“Daddy, why don’t I have a mommy like all the other kids?”

How is Tyler supposed to answer this? Tell his daughter that her mommy didn’t love her enough to stick around? Lie and say that her mommy is dead? (Because, to him, she is.)

“Baby, your mommy left right after you were born.”
“She didn’t want me?”
“Oh, baby. It had nothing to do with you. She just didn’t want to be anyone’s mommy.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know.”
“Daddy?”
“Yes, baby?”
“Did you want to be my daddy? Or did you just end up being my daddy because my mommy didn’t want to?”
“Kylie Marie Seguin, I promise you that I wanted nothing more than to be your daddy. I don’t want anything else in life.”
“Daddy, that’s a lie!”
“No it’s not.”
“Uh-huh. You want to win the Cup again too.”

Tyler can’t help but laugh. His little girl is right. He only wants two things in life- to be the best daddy he can be for Kylie. And to win the Stanley Cup again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm totally cramming years into one update.... Hope you guys don't mind.