For Her

All I Need And More

Five years pass, and Tyler’s finally feeling fully comfortable as a single father. He no longer makes panicked phone calls to his mother late at night, worrying if somehow he’s messing up. He no longer relies heavily on his teammates’ girlfriends and wives to help him when he doesn’t know what to do. And he no longer feels like one day Kylie is going to grow up and hate him for being a shitty father.

Jamie isn’t even living with them anymore, since he moved in with his new girlfriend, Mia.

But Kylie is starting to grow up now, and that’s shocking Tyler. At eleven years old, Kylie is a lot smarter than most kids her age. She’s also incredibly athletically gifted (of course) and, much to Tyler’s dismay, turning into an absolutely beautiful young girl.

Kylie’s teachers all say she’s one of the best and brightest in her class. She’s an all-star for her softball league and her hockey league. And she’s got more friends than Tyler can remember.

While it’s hard for him to see her growing up so fast, it’s also reassuring to see her succeeding in life. He can’t possibly be failing if she’s so great, right?

One day, Kylie’s smarts and maturity completely shock him. He’s sitting at the kitchen counter watching video from the game the night before when she comes home from school. She drops her backpack on the floor and grabs an apple out of the bowl.

“Hey dad?” She asks, giving him a hug.
“Yeah?”
“How come you don’t have a girlfriend?”

Tyler practically chokes on his mouthful of water.

“What?”

“Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” She asks again.
“I-I don’t need one.”
“Why not?”
“I’ve got you, Kylie. You’re all I need. There’s no room in my heart for any more love.”
“That’s not true, dad.”
“Yes it is.”
“Dad.” She sighs. “Uncle Jordie has Aunt Catherine. He loves her a lot. But they also have Bentley and Christina, and he loves them too. He loves his kids and has room to still love Aunt Catherine. Most dads have room to love their kids and their wife. Which means you do too. So why don’t you have a girlfriend?”

Tyler runs a hand through his hair, not really knowing what to say.

“Kylie.... I know we haven’t really talked about this, but I think it’s time we discuss you mother-”
“She left! She didn’t want us. But that doesn’t mean no one will want us.”
“Kylie Marie, listen to me... When your mother left, it broke my heart. I thought I was going to marry her. I thought we were going to start a family together, live happily ever after. But then she left and everything changed. I don’t want to bring another woman into the picture and have her leave again. You never knew your mother. She didn’t hurt you when she left, because you didn’t know any better. I can’t go through that again if this time the woman hurts you too.”

Kylie leans back into the kitchen counter.

“But daddy, you deserve to be happy.”
You make my happy, Kylie. Watching you grow up and become such a wonderful little girl has made me happier than even winning the Stanley Cup.”
Kylie shakes her head softly.
“Okay, dad.... I just want you to know that if you wanted to start dating..... I would be okay with it. As long as she’s nice. And likes hockey.”

Tyler smiles a little at his daughter’s only requirements.

“I’ll keep that in mind, kiddo. Now give me a hug and go upstairs to do your homework. Dinner will be ready in an hour-ish.”

She gives him a huge hug and tugs her backpack up the stairs, leaving Tyler to think about what she said. Kylie doesn’t know it, but Tyler actually tried to go on a couple dates in the past couple of years. He’s tried having his teammates set him up. He’s tried meeting women at bars. He’s even tried those online dating things, changing his name and not mentioning that he’s Tyler Seguin, assistant captain for the Dallas Stars.

But the truth is that the couple of women he’s met just haven’t reached the standards he’s set. They haven’t even come close, really. A woman has to be really fucking special for him to even consider introducing her to the light of his life. And if a woman isn’t worth meeting Kylie, then she isn’t worth even a second date.

So, yeah.... The former playboy Tyler Seguin is struggling with his love life. Who would have guessed?
♠ ♠ ♠
Just to clear up the question of why Tyler hasn't been dating....

I haven't decided yet if there's actually going to be a woman introduced into their lives or not. But if there is, I promise that there's no chance of this focusing on their relationship at all. The story is strictly about Tyler and his daughter.