Status: wrtten as I go

A New Dawn

Pt. 1 Welcome to Hell

The crowd was immense and still once Sam and I entered the room with two guards walking in the front of us and two behind. Each of the members of the crowd bowing upon our arrival; with every step a new section of the crowd began to fold. I kept my eyes straight and covered with a black netted veil attached to a black rose headband. My long sleeved, black and elegant dress was slowing me down and in return slowing us all down as we took steps to the front of the court where the judge sat, because it sat skin tight on my body all the way down to my ankles where it then flared out. I always wore black to court days because there would always inevitably, be a ruling of death. Sam allowed me to sit down in the first chair to the left of the judge’s bench, in which my two assistants removed my rather large fur coat from my body before I sat; Sam’s assistants did the same to his and he sat next to me in the second chair. I looked out to maybe hundreds of faces packed in the court room, some standing on stacks of books, broken tables, and isolated chairs. Little girls and boys stood staring at us with innocent wide eyes and my heart broke for what they were about to witness. Some were families and friends of the accused; others were just there to watch the chaos. Two men holding cameras scanned the rooms with their lenses and one zoomed in close on my face; I could see it on the large screen on the back wall of the court room. All court proceedings were televised.
“Now we will begin proceedings.” Stated Judge Anthony, a trusted friend, and advisor of Sam’s. “Michael James Scott” He called out the first of the accused. To the right of judge’s bench began a loud banging of noises coming from a hallway where the accused were held for the proceedings. A guard than appeared from the hallway with whom I presumed was Michael James Scott, the crowd went wild. Members of the crowd began to roar and boo at the appearance of Mr. Scott. The guard sat him down in a chair sat in the middle of the court house and stood behind him. His hands handcuffed behind him a rustled, and ragged looking Michael Scott fixed himself upright in the chair and addressed Sam.
“My King” he said bowing his head down as far as he could without what it seem like hurting himself.
“Michael J Scott” Anthony spat out his name harshly, “You are accused of conspiracy to commit a crime against King Samuel and his governing house; how do you plead?”
“Not Guilty.” Michael said firmly and confident,
“By law I must remind you that if you do plead not guilty, and you are found in fact guilty, you will be automatically sentenced to death, with no offerings of jail time.” The crowd roared again, “Do you understand?” Michael looked around him and took a minute to reply.
“Yes,” He said, “I understand.”
“Do you have anything that you would like to say to the king and to the court?” Judge Anthony asked very unaffected by the whole thing.
“Well, nothing much to say, but of course I didn’t do it. I had no idea what those men were planning… and the things they’ve said about me and my family are lies.” He said loudly for all to hear, “I just want to go home, to my wife and children, and live a quiet life in following of you, my king” He said this time directed at Sam, and he even began to weep a little at the end.
“At this point we ask for any witnesses here for Michael’s plead of not guilty to come forward and say “I” please.” Judge Anthony said still unaffected by the crying man in front of him. A frail, small woman, bundled in a cheap coat, and tearing boots came forward.
“I” she said her voice small and weak.
“And all those opposed?” Asked Judge Anthony, in which the crowd broke out in a boisterous “I”
“King Samuel do you have any objections to the crowd ruling or shall we proceed with sentencing?” Asked Judge Anthony turning to Sam and I. Sam threw up his hand gesturing the judge to proceed, I sat still and quiet. “Very well then, Michael James Scott you are found under this court of law to be Guilty of the crimes accused of you.” I nudged Sam a little in which he glanced over at me, already knowing what I would ask of him.
“Wait,” Sam said, he stood slowly and addressed Michael, “Do you wish to change your plea?” a question only Sam could ask.
“With all due respect my king, No.” the crowd gasped in harmony. “I cannot admit to something I did not do.” The frail woman began to cry behind him.
“You will be sentenced to death; I will not change the law.” Said Sam
“Then so be it.” Michael said and this time sat upright and tall. Sam gave a final nod and sat back down. I grabbed his hand appreciative of his effort.
“Michael James Scott you are sentence to death immediately following these court proceedings, there is where you will able to choose the method and say goodbye to your family.” Said Judge Anthony with a final slam of his gavel, he had sealed Michael’s fate. The guard lifted him and walked him back to the hall were the rest of the prisoners were held. The frail woman, who I presumed to be his wife, began to weep uncontrollably. She was then picked up and carried away by another man and woman. “Next, Hilary Jackson.” Said Anthony reading off a very long list placed in front of him. Another guard brought out a blonde haired woman, dressed in a probably once nice purple skirt suit and matching heels, and sat her on the same chair. “Hilary Jackson you are accused of stealing from King James and his governing house and lying to government officials, how do you plead?”
“Nonsense, I was not stealing! They were my own items before the war!” She spat out in outrage; the crowd went on to boo her wildly.
“Well Ms. Jackson in this court we define that as stealing; all items that exceeded a predetermined value were to be given to government officials. You not only did not do so, but you lied about it when asked. So therefore how do you plead?” She rolled her eyes and shook her head, staring down at the floor.
“Guilty.” She said.
“Great, saves us a lot of time. Hilary Jackson you are found under this court of law to be guilty of the crimes accused of you, your sentencing will be 2 years for every item that exceeded the predetermined value in your possession. This here says 38 items were found in your possession, meaning 76 years in prison.” The crowd yelled and roared in excitement, “You will be offered parole after serving at least half of that sentence with good behavior. King Samuel do you have any objections or shall we proceed?”
“Proceed” Sam said.
“Very well then,” and without another word Judge Anthony slammed his gavel yet again, and that was it. Hilary was dragged away kicking and pushing, with her 76 years of jail time awaiting her. Several more cases went on like this, most pleading guilty and sentenced to jail time with the fear of pleading not guilty and being sentenced death. Some it didn’t matter what they pleaded, they knew their fate because of the seriousness of the accused crimes. Constant roaring, and slamming of the gavel, and weeping of the families filled the air and it became hard to breathe. I hated court days. After the proceedings were done we would walk to back of the court house where a stage stood and more people crowded around it. I accompanied Samuel to the walk there but this was the one event he allowed me to sit out; after the first time when I fainted and nearly had to be hospitalized. Instead I would stand to the side behind a curtain and give my condolences to the family members of the soon to be deceased. The whole thing was quite ironic and odd. ‘I am so sorry my husband and the people sentenced your loved one death; here let me give you hug’ I thought. They probably wanted to stab me right then and there, but most if not all were very respectful. Though I am sure this was due to the two huge and threatening body guards standing behind me as I shook their hands and hugged the woman and children. Some wanted to watch their loved ones fall to their death, others would stay with me, behind the curtain and I would hold them and console them through it all.
Last to be put to death was Michael J Scott. His frail wife came to me and immediately fell into my arms weeping for her husband.
“It’ll be quick,” I said, “and painless.” The guard tapped me, letting me know it was time for her to say goodbye. “Okay Mrs. Scott, it’s time for you to say your final goodbyes.” I said holding her up straight and motioning her out on stage to her husband. He kissed and hugged her and they cried together.
“Be strong for the kids okay, you have to stay strong.” He said kissing her more and holding her tight. After a few minutes the guard tapped their shoulders and they pulled away from each other. I could see by the table and one of the guards sharpening his axe, it was death by decapitation. Mrs. Scott walked back to me solemnly and once again fell into my arms. I took a glance over at Sam who looked away from me quickly. I held the very much older than me Mrs. Scott like she was my own child, I even kissed her on the forehead and brushed her hair back. The crowd went silent and you could hear the blade slice the air and slam into the table. Mrs. Scott cried even louder and the crowd went wild. Mrs. Scott was pulled from my arms and taken to a room where she would be given her husband’s clothing and other belonging’s he had on him.
Sam stood and gestured for me to come to him, the whole crowd bowed again and we exited the stage. The car ride back home was silent as it usually was on these days. I looked at my hands and though they were clean I knew there was blood on them.
Welcome to California. Welcome to hell.