Status: wrtten as I go

A New Dawn

Pt. 2: Prologue

So it all happened, California dislodging from North America and floating in to the abyss as its own island, but it all happened sooner than we thought. With a series of gradually large earthquakes in 2019, California was completely dislodged from the continent and began floating away over time. Most fled from the state before its dislodging, the president ordered immediate evacuation, but many stayed and moved to the central area of the state. Most of the bordering terrain of the state broke off into the water, cutting California in size but those who remained began to rebuild, grow strong, and under the leadership of one Samuel Bordeaux we grew independent. Once the United States government saw this they tried to regain control of the state, but Sam had built an army so strong there was no going back. As a state and now as country we had all agreed we wanted to govern ourselves. They tried to fight us, they started a full on war but we had their weapons to, so we fought back. The US had all their resources tied up in Iran, Syria, Korea, and Russia, so they figured it wasn’t that much of a loss just letting us live on our own. The war ended and we declared independence and rebuilt the state, except we were no longer the state of California, but the Country of Great California. We were happy but every group of people needs a leader, and so then came the inevitable. Greed. By 2021 Samuel had enacted himself as the King of Great California, soon after TV broadcasts would appear of him reading out the new laws of the country. He then had built the biggest house on the continent, for him and I to live in, while everyone else was forced to give away most all of their valuables, and live in small houses and apartments. Rent and cost of living was free, food, clothes, all of equal value, all free. Most felt one man in power was the best for everyone, besides Sam took care of the people. Most are happy but there’s always the few who miss their democratic values of home and plan revolts, but they are always stopped, caught, and put to death. From the outside looking in you would think we were all unhappy, scared, and stupid, but many were quite the opposite. They all lived happy and quiet, did the jobs needed to sustain the country and for the most part lived well, for now, until Sam got greedy again. I could see it getting worse, I knew it was getting worse, but I’ve loved him since I was in the 10th grade, when he smiled and told me I was the prettiest girl he had ever seen. I would stand by him however long he needed me too, hopefully long enough for him to realize where it all went wrong.