Status: wrtten as I go

A New Dawn

Pt. 9: Lights Out

“Stop staring at me.” I said.
“Is he going to give us one of those uh, grey and white picture things?” Sam asked stuttering in excitement.
“One of those picture things? You mean an ultrasound, yes Sam he’s going to give us an ultrasound.”
“Good, good, good.” He said shifting constantly in his seat. “Is he uh, going to use that, that jelly stuff, and like put it on your stomach?” He asked.
“Yes honey, that’s how you get the picture thing.”
“Great, great, great.” He said shifting again.
“Do you think he’s going to like go inside and like check everything out, you know?”
“Could you just, stop asking questions now?” I said amused by Sam overjoy.
“No!” Sam said hopping up out of his chair. “I’m anxious ad I’m excited, and where the hell is he? He can’t keep us waiting this long.” He said heading to the door. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him back.
“Calm down! You’re like a kid in a candy store. He has other patients.” I said pulling him closer to me. Finally the Dr. Newman entered the room and I had never seen Sam so flustered.
“My king, Ma’am” Dr. Newman said bowing his head towards both of us.
“Sam,” he said reaching his hand out to Dr. Newman, Dr. Newman took it reluctantly. “You are now responsible for the life of my wife and the life of my unborn child, I think you should at least be able to call me by first name.” Sam said shaking Dr. Newman’s hand and giving his charming smile that I love so much.
“Of course Sir, thank you.” Dr. Newman said nervously. “Now let’s see that baby shall we?” Dr. Newman turned to me and smiled sitting down at the ultrasound. He placed the cold jelly on to my slightly rounded stomach and began to scope for our baby. “Alright let’s see if we can get a good picture here…there he or she is” Dr. Newman said turning the screen towards us. I could hear the stop in Sam’s breath; the undeveloped round circle on the screen was the greatest thing he had ever seen. Rarely was he silent and speechless, and I watched as his eyes began to water again another rare event. A smiled spread across Sam’s face as wide as the sea and he looked at me and began to laugh. He kissed me on my forehead and then my lips.
“Uh can we get that picture doc?” Sam said turning to Dr. Newman.
“Of course, let’s print that out for you.” Dr. Newman handed Sam the picture of our newest addition and it was treasure in his hands.

Sam had a meeting with Mr. Cash, head of internal affairs, after the doctor’s appointment which left me at home with nothing to do. I would plan my wedding, but ever since Sam found out I was pregnant I haven’t been allowed to lift a finger. He hired a wedding planner who flew in from all the way from France, his name Gianni and he says some words in French and other in English, and he’s loud and boisterous, but he has convinced me he is a miracle worker. Though I don’t see him as much as I would like to. I decided to go about some rearranging of the house furniture… Sam wouldn’t know. Nothing too big or grand, just a few vases here or there. Myra followed me around with a pen and notepad as a pointed to the big pieces that I would like to be moved and where. Poor girl even tried to help me move our rather large coffee table but once I fell onto the couch, Myra refused to allow me to do anymore, she would even carry the vases.
“Madam you’re needed by the King.” In walks Ezra, very calm as usually but with a serious look on his face.
“Sam?” I said picking up a vase next to the TV we never use. “I thought he was at that meeting with Jason?” I said, Myra grabbing the vase from my hands as I swung around to greet Ezra.
“Yes ma’am, he needs you somewhere else right now.” Said Ezra.
“Is it an emergency?” I said putting my hand on my stomach as it sank.
“No ma’am, no emergency, but it does require a bit of urgency.”
“Well Jesus Ezra, what’s the big secret, spit it out already.” I asked annoyed that he was making me worried for no good reason.
“I prefer to discuss it when we get there.” Ezra said this time not as confident as he had been during the rest of our conversation. I looked at him a little apprehensive. “It’s all right… trust me.” he said. I paused for a bit still very confused about everything.
“Alright, I guess.” I said “Could you get my coat please?” I turned to Myra who even had a concerned look upon her face.
“I will fetch the coat.” Said Ezra turning and exiting the room. Myra gave me a warm smile and took the duster I had in my hand. At the door Ezra was standing with my long green cargo jacket. He then held it as I slipped one arm into each armhole still apprehensive. He opened the door for me and to my surprise no guards were standing outside on the porch, by the car, nowhere as the usually did.
“Where’s all the guards?” I asked. Ezra shrugged nonchalantly and looked around.
“Lunch break?” He said jokingly, because of course not all of the guards took their breaks at the same time. “Everyone has been so busy with the details of the wedding, maybe some of them are down there, and I’m assuming the others are doing a perimeter walk.” He said opening the back seat door to the car awaiting for me to enter. I stopped for a moment to take one long look into Ezra’s eyes, I felt like he had been avoiding contact with me.
“You’d tell me if something was wrong… right?” I asked.
“Absolutely ma’am.” He said answering immediately. I looked for a bit longer than chuckled after.
“You need a wife Ezra” I said patting his chest. “You’re too good looking to not have a wife.” I said laughing and entering the car. Ezra laughed too and I could see him flush pink. He then surprisingly climbed into the driver’s seat of the car and began to pull off. “No other guards will be attending with us?” I asked Ezra.
“Oh, don’t tell me you don’t think I’m capable of protecting you my Queen?” Ezra said laughing a little.
“I know good and well of your capabilities Ezra, this is just a bit of a surprise.” I said joining in on the laughter.
“The meeting is with some of King Samuel’s most trusted advisers. There will be guards there. Like I said with the wedding tensions have been low and most everyone has been busy.” Ezra said.
“Right.” I said trying to justify all the unusual procedures Ezra was taking. I reached in my coat pockets for my phone and realized it was not in there.
“Shoot.” I said more to myself than anyone.
“I’m sorry?” Ezra asked.
“I forgot my phone. Sam is going to freak.” I said trying to retrace my steps of where I could have put it, pretty sure I had left it in the coat pockets when we got back from the doctor’s.
“Do you need to use my phone?” Ezra asked.
“No,” I said “It’s alright, Sam is in a meeting no need to bother, as long as he knows I’m with you it’s fine.” Ezra nodded and smiled in the rear view mirror and kept along driving. We drove for a while through backstreets and long roads but being as I didn’t know where we were going I figured I shouldn’t judge. After a while we hit a bumpy road which was a terribly uncomfortable ride.
“Just a few more minutes.” Ezra said as he could see me twisting and turning in the back. Finally Ezra stopped and looked outside the window to nothing but trees. He got out the car, walked over to my door, and opened it. I stepped out to look around, in hopes of something behind the trees but I saw nothing.
“Ezra where are we—“Suddenly I felt a sharp pinch in my side and I turned to Ezra immediately.
“I’m so sorry my queen.” He said his arms ready to catch me.
Lights out.