Status: Oneshot.

Happy New Year

[1/1]

1 hour left. I was still at home but about to leave. I put on grey skinnies, a wine-red V-neck and a black pullover. My hair was already straightened; I had spent a lot of time on it. I got the bottle of champagne out of the freezer and put it into my backpack, along with my journal. I always took my journal with me everywhere. I stuck my wallet and my phone into the back-pockets of my trousers and left.

In the car, I got giddy with excitement. Today was going to be the day I told Jack what I felt for him. I had been in love with him for years now. The plan was to get to his house, meeting up with Rian and Zack, our band-mates. Shortly before midnight, I would pull Jack into a corner and tell him. Rian and Zack knew about my plans and they were supporting me. They had always wanted me and Jack to be together and they both were pretty sure Jack felt the same way about me.

The drive was short and I listened to some upbeat music to get myself even more pumped. Maybe a bit too pumped because when I arrived at Jack’s place I was trembling with excitement and nervousness.

I entered the house like always without knocking; I had known Jack for so long now that I was allowed to do pretty much anything at his place. I entered the kitchen and greeted the three. I went over to the cupboard, got out four champagne flutes and popped the champagne. The others commented on the great pop but Rian protested about it not being the New Year yet.

“I know it’s not the New Year yet but drinking is more important I guess,” I said, raising my glass to all of them after having distributed all glasses. “Cheers!”

“Cheers!” – “Cheerios!” – “Cheers!” Glasses bumped together and we all drank. Zack wanted to show Rian something on his phone after some more small-talk so Jack was free (I may or may not have talked to Zack and Rian about seeming distracted before). My heart was fluttering in my chest. My big chance.

“Jack, would you have a minute for me? In private?” I asked him, trying to sound casual and not as if I was about to cry with nervosity. He nodded, shooting me an odd glance but leading me to the terrace. I was shivering again by now. Deep breaths, Alex. I looked into Jack’s dark eyes, trying not to fall into them like so many times before. He smiled encouragingly.

“Okay Jack. This is important to me. I’m bad with words but I wanted to tell you for a long time now, that… Well…” I broke off, anxiety shooting through my body. What if he didn’t like me too? What if this was going to ruin everything? I suppressed a tear and pushed away the thoughts. I had thought about this for nights, not able to sleep with this on my mind. I would do this now.

“Yes Alex?” Jack asked softly. I cleared my throat.

“I wanted to tell you that I love you.” It was out. The fireworks went off, loud and bright. I blushed instantly, probably looking like a tomato. I looked to the ground, not able to look Jack in the eye. And before I fully realized what was going on, the fireworks got more and louder, Rian and Zack were screaming “3…2….1,” and Jack’s lips were on mine. At first, I was frozen but then I kissed back.
These sweet lips, soft but hard at the same time, kissing me. Jack cupped my face in his hands while I put my arms around his waist while the fireworks sparkled and boomed in the air as well as my own internal firework of happiness. This was perfect.

We kissed until the fireworks slowly got less. Jack broke the kiss, smiled at me and put back an errant strand of hair from my forehead.

“Happy New Year, Alex,” he said, giving me a little peck on the cheek. “And I love you too,” he added. I looked at him, indulging in his smile. I broke into a big grin too. A great transition into the New Year.

Zack and Rian were already gone when we got into the house again. However, they had left a note, a crumpled and smoothed out piece of paper with Rian’s neat handwriting on it.

“Alex and Jack – we have left to give you more privacy. See you soon.” Jack grinned and pulled me upstairs to his room. I was no one to object.

The next morning, I was up first. I wanted to make breakfast for Jack, but before, I needed to do something. I got out my journal and my pen, opened it and started writing.

January 1st, 10.23 am.
Jack loves me too. We had an amazing night together. What a great way to begin a new year.
♠ ♠ ♠
I enjoyed writing this, I hope you enjoyed reading it! Please leave me comments and maybe recommend it if you did! :)

-Laura