Status: you may need to read The First Boy first

We're All Alright

first kiss

“He’s only in the fourth grade. You can’t do this to him. He’s a child!”

Declan and his sister’s peeked all three of their heads out of his bedroom door, desperately trying to spy on their mother who was down the hall on the phone and starting to wipe tears off her face.

“Now look what you’ve done. She’s crying. You’re in so much trouble, Declan.”

“I didn’t even do anything.” He argued. At least he didn’t think he did anything wrong.

“Yeah you did, idiot. You should have never kissed him. Now you’re getting mom in trouble.”

Before he could respond to Rhiannon they heard the phone hang up and both girls quickly scattered back to their own rooms leaving Declan alone with the burden.

He didn’t do anything wrong, but still he could feel his bottom lip quiver and his eyes starting to burn. He waltzed back to his bed trying to calm it, but as soon as he sees his mother standing in the doorway, he could no longer control his emotions.

She doesn’t yell, but kneels downs and opens up her arms for him run into. And the cry and hug it out for a while.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get you in trouble. I won’t do it again, I promise.”

“You didn't do anything wrong, sweetheart. You’re alright, don’t worry. Some people don’t understand and trying to make them is very frustrating and it makes Mommy very sad but I promise it’s not your fault.”

“Can I still be friends with Jeremy?”

“I don’t think so, Bug. You and your sisters won’t be returning to that school anymore.”