Thick as Thieves

Coming clean

When I woke the next morning, I felt a little lightheaded. I tried to remember everything that happened the previous night, and the memories of tender kisses floated in my mind. I saw the warmth of Fred's eyes as he confessed he loved me, and I remembered the sound of my own trembling voice as I assured him the same thing. Looking back, all those many months of denying my feelings and fighting jealousy was wasted. I was so upset and worried for nothing; we were in absolute bliss now.

"We should wait to tell George," Fred decided after awhile of curling up together on the couch. "I don't want him to freak out. I mean, I just told him yesterday I broke up with Angelina..."

With a small shrug, I went along with Fred's idea. I couldn't imagine why George would be too upset. Quite the opposite, actually, I thought he would be pleased to see Fred and I getting along again. It would be just like it was in the beginning.

Little did I know everything was changing.

During breakfast, I should have noticed George was quieter than usual, but I was too preoccupied with playing footsie underneath the table with Fred. During class, Fred and I sat close together, caught up in our private world of secret smiles and cryptic kisses. We were so sure no one knew of our secret relationship because the two of us were oh so good at being subtle. Still, I received a few glares from Angelina Johnson.

After dinner, Fred made some lame excuse about missing the Quidditch pitch and wanting to relax down there, and I insisted that I needed to finish Herbology homework in the library; George didn't question us further. Fred and I left the common room and headed down to the dungeons. As we walked, our arms swung by our sides, causing electricity to spark throughout me each time the softness of his flesh brushed against my own.

We dodged Slytherins and ducked professors until we made it to a secret corridor we discovered back when we had our hands on the Marauders Map.

We waited many months to be together only to have to wait even longer to be alone. The day of sneaking around while just itching to snog or hold one another's hand really took its told on us. By the time we reached the darkened corridor, we were both on fire.

Fred's teeth shined brightly compared to the dim light in the dungeons. I looked up at him, his lips twisted into a mischievous smirk that I loved so dearly. I stood on my tiptoes while snaking my arms around his neck, pulling him closer. Our lips met in an impatient kiss, one much more eager than last night.

Last night was the confession our newfound love. It was new, delicate… and the kisses should be just that. Tonight, however, was a whole new story. Tonight was impatience and passion, months of waiting, of wanting finally being released.

Fred gently backed me up against a wall, his body pressing against every inch of my own. His hand reached up, tipping my chin up as he deepened our kiss. I felt his tongue dip into my mouth, if only for a taste. His lips were sweet and tasted like Fizzing Whizbees. Fred tore his lips away from mine, leaving a trail of fiery kisses along my jaw. My head tilted further back, exposing the soft skin of my neck. Anxiously, his lips found my collarbone, gently nibbling and sucking on every inch of exposed flesh.

Though my insides were on fire, I knew we couldn't go any further.

"Fred," I whispered in a quiet giggle, "I'm not going to let you ravish me in the dungeons."

"What?" He asked with feign surprise. "You don't find this a romantic spot?" I gave him a look, and he responded with a heavy sigh. "I suppose your right. We should probably head back to the common room before ol' toad face catches us anyway."

I smiled, placing another kiss on his lips, and then we left our secret hideaway. Fred and I tiptoed back into the common room. The Fat Lady gave us a disapproving look considering the hour, but allowed us to enter anyway.

Once inside, Fred took both of my hands and kissed me softly on the lips. "Goodnight, love." He murmured.

Breathing in butterflies, I sighed contently as I watched him climb the stairs and disappear into his room. I was just about to follow his lead and go to bed when I heard someone move behind me.

"Mia," George whispered.

Startled, I jumped a little before spinning around. "George!" I gasped, my hands going to my chest. "You scared me!"

"Sorry…" He murmured, his chin ducked down as he stared at me.

I frowned, "How long have you been there?"

"Before you guys came in." He replied, his shrug painfully indifferent. "So… you're together now?"

"Yes," I nodded once, peeking up to wait for his reaction. When he said nothing, I continued, "We were going to tell you. We just thought we should wait awhile, let things cool down and go back to normal, you know?"

As I stared at George, I felt a strange feeling of guilt wash over me and drown me in its tides. His eyes were hard, his face expressionless. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking, but I knew it wasn't good. I wished Fred and I hadn't tried to spare his feelings and just told him the truth instead. When I realized I wasn't going to get a response, I whispered desperately, "Please don't be mad, George."

After a long moment of considering my request, he finally sighed, "I'm not mad, Mia… I just don't want things to change between us. I want us to always be honest with each other like we were before."

"Of course," I assured him, not wanting it any other way, "you know I love you, Georgie, and you'll always be my best friend."

George stared at me, something hiding behind his eyes. I was about to question him, but he opened his mouth to speak again. "I know. You're mine, too." He replied. "We should go to sleep now… I'll see you tomorrow."

"George—"

But it was too late. He was gone.