Thick as Thieves

The attack

I didn't see George much after his late night confrontation a week ago. Fred assured me he wasn't mad, he just needed time to process the idea of his best friends dating. I felt guilty, but Fred did a fine job of distracting me from any unpleasant thoughts.

We were alone in his room, the curtains drawn and the only source of light the golden sun sinking beneath the horizon. The glow of the sun warmed his already bright face, and I used it to my advantage to study every last freckle on his face. As I lay beneath Fred, I ran my hands up his spine and to his vibrant hair. He shivered softly before bending down to nibble on my ear. I sighed happily as he kissed my lips before leaning back up, a brilliant smile on his face.

Merlin… I didn't realize how much I missed that smile until I saw it before me. Without realizing it, I suddenly watched Fred's lips turn down into a frown. His features softened and his eyes cooled until I was staring at George. The look of betrayal on George's face that night still burned my memory.

"What's wrong?" Fred asked suddenly, breaking the silence.

I frowned, "It's nothing."

Fred knew me better than that though. As if he was reading my face like a book, he sighed, "George?"

"I just feel guilty," I confessed. "We haven't seen much of him all week."

"Give it time, love," Fred murmured into my hair, "he just needs some time alone."

I bit my lip, chewing over his words. "Speaking of which, your roommates are awfully generous to give us your entire dorm to ourselves this late at night." I observed, looking over at the empty beds.

"Eh, Lee had plans and the other guys owe me. George and I have slept in the common room more than once for those two." Fred explained with a shrug.

With a smile, I pulled him closer and snuggled against his chest. "Lucky us," I mumbled against his soft lips.

Without warning, the door flew open and Fred and I scrambled to get to our feet.

"Ron, dammit!" Fred grumbled, tossing a shoe at his brother. "Get the bloody hell out!"

"Fred," Ron croaked, "Dad's been attacked at the Ministry."

Fred dropped the other shoe he had ready to throw while my jaw dropped.

"What?"

"C'mon!" Ron urged before rushing back out the door.

Without questioning it further, Fred and I sprinted after Ron to Dumbledore's office. Mr. Weasley was not my father, but I considered him, as well as the entire Weasley clan, to be my family. After my father's death, their were no people as loyal and supportive to my mother and I than the Weasley's. Needless to say, I was terribly worried for him.

Upon arrival to Dumbledore's office, he was standing before Ginny, Harry, and George. “Your father has been injured in the course of his work for the Order of the Phoenix.” Dumbledore explained calmly. “He has been taken to St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. I am sending you back to Sirius’s house." After turning around and spotting the rest of us, he continued, "Good. Now you will all be taking a Portkey.”

In the middle of the office, a blinding flash burned my eyes. When the light vanished and I looked back towards its source, I saw a bright red feather streaked with gold floating to the floor. “It is Fawke’s warning,” said Dumbledore. “She must know you’re out of your beds…Minerva, go and head her off—tell her any story.” McGonagall nodded her head once before hurrying through the door. "Gather around the Portkey.” Dumbledore instructed, gesturing to a silver hairbrush. “On the count of three. One… two… three…”

I felt my legs being yanked from underneath me. Dull colors swirled all around me, leaving my head a fuzzy and disoriented mess. There was a sudden rush of wind, and then I found myself breathing in the dust of a musty old carpet in Grimmauld Place.

Quickly, we all scrambled to our feet. Fred helped me up as George rubbed his head. Ginny jumped up at once, her bright eyes wild in alarm.

“We need to go see Dad!" She demanded.

My mother and Sirius appeared from the other room. I ran from Fred and into her arms. She clutched me tightly, her arms trembling as she pulled me against her frail body.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"Arthur's been attacked by… his snake." My mother muttered.

"But is he alright?" Ginny pleaded to know. "We have to see him1"

Sirius shook his head, sighing, "You can't."

"But he's dying!" Ron said impatiently.

"It will be suspicious if his children know about this before they even let his wife know!” Sirius reasoned.

“What does that matter?” George replied hotly. "He's our dad!"

"I know you're concerned for him, but please," My mother murmured gently, "you must understand it's imperative we do not give anything away." The Weasley children frowned at each other, worry and impatience clearly on their face. Sensing their anxiety, my mother released me from her hold and said softly, "I'll go fix some tea and biscuits." She gently patted Sirius's shoulder before walking into the kitchen.

After she left, I returned to Fred's side. His eyes were tired as he anxiously ran his hand through his hair. I lightly pecked his cheek, offering words of comfort to him to which he just nodded in disbelief. I led him to the couch where he sat down and put his head in his hands.

When I looked up, I saw George leaning against the wall just staring at the floor. I left Fred with a kiss before getting up to wrap my arms around George. Without a pause, he squeezed me tightly against his chest.

"He's going to be okay," I murmured.

George's voice was strained as he said, "I can't… I can't… lose…"

"No!" I whispered fiercely. "Stop it! You're not losing anyone."

George let me lead him to the couch where I sat between the twins. Fred rested his head on my shoulder as George clutched my hand. We must have stayed like that for a solid two hours, saying nothing and just hoping with everything we had that Mr. Weasley would be alright.

Finally, Mrs. Weasley appeared. "Your father's going to be just fine," She murmured as soon as she saw us. "He's going to make it." Everyone let out a breath we hadn't realized we were holding. Smiles of relief were exchanged before the Weasley children got up to hug their mother. Mrs. Weasley turned to Harry, her eyes tired but happy, "Thank you, Harry. If it wasn't for you, I'm not sure they would have found him in time." She threw her arms around him, squeezing him tightly.

My mother offered Mrs. Weasley a cup of tea before saying, "We best all get some rest now."

Everyone dragged their feet up the stairs and disappeared into their rooms. I snuck into Fred and George's room, and we curled together beneath his sheets. Utterly exhausted, we fell onto our pillows and into a deep dreamless sleep.