Thick as Thieves

Mischievous smirks

After a long day of classes, the twins and I had a late dinner and then headed up to the common room. Most of the students were already in their dorm rooms, and the three of us lounged around until we were the only ones left in the room. It felt nice, being in silence with my two favorite people. Alone, we were able to discuss matters freely without worrying about the ever present eye of Umbridge.

"Just one week," I groaned, "that's all it took for Umbridge to corrupt Hogwarts."

George stretched his long legs, putting them up on the table, and gave me a nod, "Yeah, and suck the life out of it."

"She's a bloody dementor," Fred gasped, grabbing my arm, "a damned pink dementor!"

George and I looked at each other before laughing. It felt nice to laugh again, even if we were only able to in the privacy of the Gryffindor common room. It felt like we were spending more and more time hiding in the comfort of our house's common room rather than enjoying the grounds or corridors like we normally did because of Umbridge. She wanted order and perfection, so naturally, not one of us had a kind thing to say about her.

"I know what will lift our spirits," Fred grinned. "Why not test some more of our products. We're nearly finished, and we could be selling them within the week!"

"Which one do you have in mind?" I asked.

Fred shrugged and said, "How about we test the sweets line. It's a little late to be sending off fireworks in the common room. Poor first years would have a heart attack."

"Why not eating some of Mia's famous custard creams!" George beamed.

"Did you spike them again?" I asked with a small smirk.

Fred replied, "Naturally… and we've doubled the secret recipe to make the canary effect last twice as long. They got a good laugh during the party last year, I reckon they'd sell fast."

"Yeah. Can you imagine the look on ol' Umbridge's face walking into a room full of canaries?" George chuckled, highly amused.

I smiled, "Alright, let's have some."

Fred pulled out his trusty case of pranks, and from a tall tin can, he plucked out three Canary Creams. They were innocent enough, at least when I baked them. However, Fred's concoction gave them a much more devious effect. He tossed one to George, and then held out his hand for me to take one.

I reached over, picking it up, but suddenly, his fingers curled around my hand. My heart stopped as I felt my flesh tingle just from his touch. His playful eyes caught mine, and for a moment, neither of us moved.

As soon as I could move my fingers again, I yanked my hand and the tiny biscuit away from him as if his skin was on fire. He chuckled softly and flashed me one of his secret smiles that always caused my heart to melt.

Before he could notice, I looked away.

The way Fred acted lately, so close and comfortable, was slowly driving me insane. Maybe he always had been like this and I was just being overly sensitive, or maybe something was changing. I wasn't sure. All I knew was that it wasn't fair of him. It wasn't fair for him to look at me with those eyes and that smile and stare like I was the only one he saw. I couldn't bear being so close, and yet, being able to do nothing at all. I shouldn't get my hopes up because deep down I knew he must have been joking, teasing me like he always loved to do. After all, he had a girlfriend, and he was my best friend…

Which is why I couldn't come up with an answer to why I wanted him to be serious, why I wanted him to touch me and smile, to have a hidden meaning behind all of those mischievous smirks of his. I clung to every shred of hope he gave me, and I couldn't help myself.

"Ready?" Fred asked George and I, interrupting my thoughts.

I looked at him, his sideways smile having more of an effect on me than it should have.

Suddenly, I stood up from my seat. "I'm tired," I told them, "not feeling well either… um, I'm just going to go to bed now."

"We didn't even get to see how long the new custards last," George complained.

Fred frowned, "Mia, don't go."

"I'm sorry," I rushed to say, unable to take the look in his eyes, "Goodnight guys."

I turned on my heel and raced up to the stairs to my dorm, cursing myself for being fooled yet again by Fred Weasley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Flirty Fred❤