Trent

Chapter 2

A small bell rang as Trent and Fred pushed the glass door open. They boys were greeted with warm temperatures from the heaters and dimly-lit rooms. A familiar face greeted them as they went inside. Short, petite, chestnut-brown hair with a darker shade on her tips. She was donning an all black ensemble. Not the intimidating kind, but the ones that resemble uniformity, complete with a black apron. Her hair was put up to make sure none of her strands fell out while she did her job. What made her well-known was her cheeks. A nice hue of red decorated her them, and they made her stand out.

She was Rosalina, the coffee shop's resident barista. She might look all sugary on the outside, but don't be fooled by that sweetheart smile. She had enough brains to come up with great comebacks to put people in their palce. But she rarely did that though. She's real nice to everyone, provided no one messed with her.

Fred thought that her name was too long and time-consuming to pronounce, so he called her Rosy. Or Roz, just because it had that "zing" to it. And also because he thought that the name "Rosalina" didn't match her tough as nails attitude and her sexy, raspy voice. As for Trent, he preferred calling her Rosy, just because of her red cheeks. It's short and sweet.

The Coffee Club was the guys' number one after-school hangout. It wasn't as packed as Grind Me in Easton Mall, but it definitely felt homier. It gave off the chill vibes Trent needed to let his creative juices flow as he tries to come up with lyrics for his next song. So it's not surprise that Trent would often come to the place and sit on his sweet spot, the sofas in the middle of the coffee shop where the lights were the brightest, to write his next masterpiece.

As the guys took their seats, they noticed that the coffee shop was more crowded than usual. Normally people would come to the place on Friday nights for gig night or movie night, but on that Friday afternoon, attractive girls stepped inside the coffee shop one by one, filling up the place. Some of them looked like they genuinely wanted to try out the coffee, and some of them were just being plain pretentious.

"Oh, em, gee ! These wall paintings reminds me of that painter... The one we learned at school !"
"Which filter should I use for this photo ? I want my coffee to look vintage."
"We HAVE to take a selfie here. This background is totes perf !"

Finally on her break, Rosy approached the guys at their spot. From the look on her face, she looked like she had a very unpleasant shift. Trent and Fred prepared themselves for an uncensored ranting automaton.

"This is insane ! Since when did The Coffee Club became the Hipster-Wannabe Convention Center ?! Who the hell orders a black espresso at 2pm ?! Some people are just so ostentatious."

Fred looked confused as she mentioned the last word. "Osten-what ?"

"Ostentatious. You know, pretentious, inflated, plastic." Trent explained.

Fred still had question marks in the air.

"It means fake, Fred." Rosy snapped. "This isn't Grind Me ! My dad didn't open up business to attract those likes. Man, this sucks."

"You're totally over-reacting Roz, and besides, I'm cool with it. It's not like every day hot babes come to this place. I'd come here all day just to get a sight." Fred chuckled. Suddenly, he felt a sharp pinch on his biceo, and in front of him was Rosy giving him a death glare.

"Okay okay ! I'm sorry ! Please let me go !" Fred whimpered. Rosy let him go and she looked satisfied. "And you wanna know why this place's crowded ? Ask "Mr. Most Mysterious and Irresistible" over there !"

Trent was shocked when Fred pointed at him, especially when he mentioned the stupid title that was given to him back in Junior High, courtesy of the girls he used to date. He never really dated them. He only treated them to lunch or had study sessions together, but to them it was a "date". He was only being friendly. "Huh ? What do I have to do with this ? And stop mentioning that, it's really embarrassing."

"Oh, I don't know man. Maybe it's because: 1) 99% of the girl population in school like you; 2) You're effortlessly cool, and; 3) Your comment during AP History just now cracked everyone up. So now they're trying to get your attention by coming to this place, Mr. Popular."

"Wait, what comment ?" Rosy asked.

"Long story. Will text you about it tonight. But I have to admit, they're getting pretty annoying. Their hair has way more substance than the insides of their brains."

Rosy giggled at Fred's smart comment, much to his surprise. He instantly grinned. Trent, on the other hand, didn't look convinced. "Oh c'mon, that is so not true. Some of those girls already have boyfriends. And look, it's not like they care about me. None of them even said hi !" Trent protested.

Suddenly, some tapped Trent's shoulder. He looked up and it was Cassandra, Leaside High's most popular girl in school. Her dad's the owner of Easton Mall, and her mom was an ex-model turned domestic housewife (Or not. One time there was this rumor going on in school about her mom jet setting to London, Paris, and Milan over the course of one week. Of course, Cassandra pretended like it never happened). She gets her wealth from, obviously, her dad, and her exotic Polynesian looks from her mom.

"Hi Trent ! WHAT a surprise to see you here." Cassandra hollered, ignoring Fred and Rosy. "So like, it's Saturday night tomorrow, and there's gonna be an awesome party at my house. Everyone's gonna be there You in ?"

Ironically, she already had a boyfriend, who's much better than Trent in terms of high school status. Cassandra, her boyfriend, and their drones were at the top of the hierarchy. Trent and his friends were in the middle. It's not a bad spot, but they're just not as popular as the jocks and cheerleaders.

Rosy noticed that Trent was getting very annoyed by Cassandra's flirty looks. Who wouldn't ?! She tried way too hard, especially on Trent. She probably knew that Trent was on one of those guys you couldn't easily impress, thus the maximum effort. Trent's expression was screaming "S.O.S.", so Rosy went to the rescue.

"Excuse me, sorry, but he's actually coming with us to the *Red 5 concert tomorrow night. So... No party for him. We already have tickets. I suggest you get out of here if you're not buying anything. Oh yeah, and tell your minions to get the hell out of here also. It's almost closing time. Will re-open at 6p.m." Rosy interrupted.

Cassandra rolled her eyes. She wanted to insult her, but the evil stare from Rosy prevented her. After all, everyone knew that Rosy is Leaside's number one bitch. You mess with her, you're dead. "Ugh, whatever. This place is crap anyways. C'mon guys, let's go. You're such a loser."

"No shit, at least I know the difference between lip balm and glue stick !" Rosy shouted while giving the finger to Cassandra, who was already outside with her so-called besties. The guys laughed. No one does it better than Rosy.

"So does this mean we're still on for Red 5 ?" Trent asked.

"Hell yeah ! Me, you, Fred and Rick. The tickets are still in my wallet. We'll meet up in front of the venue and we'll go in together. You guys cool with that ?"

"I'm TOTES okay with that !" Fred shrilled, impersonating Cassandra's voice. Rosy almost died from laughing too hard. She's so amazed at Fred's many talents.

"I'm cool with it. Anyways, it's almost 5p.m. C'mon Fred, we need to go. My dad's gonna kill me if I don't get back in time for dinner." Trent said.

"Okay, okay. Seriously though, you need to stick up to your old man once in a while. You're like 16 now dude."

"Easy for you to say. You guys know what my dad's like. Anyways, see you tomorrow at 7p.m. Don't forget the tickets !" Trent reminded Rosy right before the guys left the coffee shop.

"Got it ! Don't forget to text me Fred !"

"Sure thing !" Fred replied.