Dead Weight

1

She watched, the taste of iron in her mouth as his face collapsed, a scream ripping its way out of his mouth. It was cold, and he was running towards her so slowly; why was he running slowly? Her head was heavy and it felt odd to hold it up, her feet, she had to look down to make sure they were still there and sticking out of her stomach was the shaft of an arrow.

Two of them actually.

There was so much weight on her shoulders and the red on her fingers was so vivid.

Was she as loud as her blood?

He was still reaching for her, but the weight on her shoulders was so heavy as it pushed her down onto her knees with a hollow sort of sound. The damp of the soil under her seeped through her pants into her knees and through her bones, but her mouth was so dry.

Maybe it was the fire in her belly that sucked the moisture from her lips.

John was there now, catching her shoulders as she leaned further into the ground. He wrapped his arms around her, trying to catch her eyes, but it was hard to see with so many spots in her vision.

She wished he would speak to her, but wait, he was.

Slow and heavy the words dropped from his mouth and splashed across her face.

Gasping heavy breaths, heavy words, heavy burdens from her body she let him cradle her body as her life poured across the grass and across his knees.

Her throat was closed, but she wished to tell him to let her go. He couldn't carry anymore, couldn't hold her burdens as his own and he should never hold her life as his own. Instead his head and hands shook trying so hard to patch up the holes in her body.

She left him like that.