We Gave Ourselves to the Night

And that’s supposed to make me want to go into that house more?

“The police report I found online says the mother lost her mind after she found out her husband was cheating on her. She drowned her two children, one was three and the other was five, in the bathtub. Then she slit her own throat… nothing seemed to have happened to the father, at least there’s no mention of him in this.” I looked over at Brian expectantly, brushing some loose strands of my black hair from my eyes.

“And that’s supposed to make me want to go into that house more?” he raised a perfect eyebrow, the look on his face clearly said ‘you have got to be kidding.’

“Well… yeah,” a slight frown formed on my face, “please Bri, I really wanna do something exciting for my birthday tomorrow. What’s more exciting than going into a haunted house on Halloween?”

“I can think of a few things.” He mumbled as he took a sip of coffee.

I closed my laptop and turned in my seat to look at him. We were sitting in Brian’s kitchen, having just finished breakfast. Brian and the guys were home for a few months, working on their new album.

I was trying to spend as much time with him as possible. I made sure to book off this entire week for vacation from my job a local tattoo shop. I wasn’t an artist there, Just worked the desk. But that’s where we first met just a little over a year ago. Most of our relationship so far had been long distance, but I was getting used to it. Brian was definitely worth it, I had never had another man treat me as well as he did.

I reached across the table and placed it over his, “it would mean a lot to me if you did. We can invite the guys along or something, might make it more interesting for you?”

He sighed and intertwined our fingers, “I really don’t see why you want to go into some old house. But if it really means that much to you,” he paused to roll his eyes, and gave me that smirk that never failed to make my heart race, “I’ll ask the guys if they’d like to come along.”

“You’re the best, babe!” a goofy grin slid across my face.

“I know. What I don’t know is why you want to go into that place so badly,” he released my hand and took another sip of coffee.

“I just do. I’ve always wanted to really, I mean, haven’t you heard the stories about the place?” I had heard a few different tales about the Lucker house over the years. I just finally wanted to see if any were true, or if people were just full of shit.

“I’ve heard a couple, nothing I even remotely believe,” he shrugged, pulled out his phone and started taping a few things on the screen, “just shit people tell their kids to keep them from fucking around with the abandoned property, so they don’t hurt themselves or something.”

“I don’t really believe some of the stories I’ve heard, but you have to admit the place has weird vibes,” I hated walking by the place, even as a kid. I couldn’t look at the building; it always made my stomach go into knots. “I’ve never heard of or seen a family live there for more than a month or two. The place kinda feaks me out… maybe going in will stop that.”

He gave me a look that said he wasn’t really buying everything I was saying, but he was considering it, “if scary movies and ghosts and shit freak you out so much, Dylan, why do you like it?”

“I duno, I just do I guess,” I hadn’t really thought about it like that, and I honestly wasn’t sure. People just like to be scared; they must with the amount of people who watch horror movies.

He just flashed me a smile and went back to his phone and coffee, “I don’t know if I’ll ever understand you.”

I stood from the table and stretched, “its part of my charm.”

With that I made my way upstairs to get ready for the day. I really hoped the guys agreed to come with us, I’d understand if they wanted to spend the time they had off with their families. I’d come too really like all the guys and their wives and girlfriends. They were all really decent people; fame hadn’t gotten to them at all it seemed.

The day passed quickly, but I savoured every moment of it I spent with Brian. I was so smitten with him. He made me feel like a giddy school girl. Everything about him was perfect, his hair, and his gorgeous dark brown eyes, with that perfectly chiselled jaw line. I had never felt so safe with anyone before, the way he would always be touching me in public, he was respectful, but it was just enough to let everyone know I was taken. The way he would smile at me when I said something silly, even if I was trying to be serious, sent my heart aflutter.

I wasn’t sure how I managed to finally find my perfect guy, but I had. I had never been with someone who made me feel so complete. When I was younger I thought I had that feeling, but nothing ever lasted. Then again, when you’re younger every relationship feels like you’ll be together forever, and will never love anyone as much as you love that one guy.

I had just gotten out of a pretty rough relationship when Brian came into my life. He came into the shop one day with a friend who was looking to get some work done.

The moment Brian and I locked eyes something happened, it was like a spark ran through my whole body. At the time I wasn’t overly interested with being in a relationship with anyone. But he was persistent, got my number from one of the guys at the shop. Texted me every day without fail, eventually working up to asking to hang out, and then asking me out on a date.

He became my best friend, the one person I could count on to never let me down. And I had been let down a lot in my life time. As silly as I could be, and as happy a front as I put up, it was hard to really gain my trust. I was hardened at my core, I had to be or life would have just been too much. But Brian, Brian got to me. He broke down my walls, the only one who really seemed to care to see the real me, who wanted to know who I really was. And for that I was forever grateful, I had been a shell of a person for so long. I was really starting to lose myself.