Status: active

Dazey Records

Chapter 1

8 years ago...
"Lift your arms a little... little more.... lift them from your shoulder not your elbow... that's it, now when the ball comes your way, pull back and swing as hard as you can."

I kept my eyes focused on the ball John had in his hand, watching as he pulled his arm back and threw it. I smacked it as hard as I could, dropping the bat and running towards the bases. First, second, third, coming up to home base, John cheering me on and laughing, my lungs feeling like they would explode, the rush of cool air past my limbs and my own giggle as I reached the base.

John retrieved the ball and jogged over to me, pulling me into a sweaty hug with the ball still in his hand.

"That was amazing, Daisy. You should join the team."

"Me? Join a team with a bunch of sweaty and gross boys? No thank you. You're the only sweaty and gross boy I need." I reached up on my tip toes to kiss him and he wrapped his arms around me tighter to pull me off the ground. I let out a squeal and he laughed, setting me back down.

"All for you, my Daisy. Come on, let's get you home."

Home. If I could call it that anymore. The fighting was getting too much to bear and I spent most nights sleeping with loud music in my ears to drown out my mother's cries.

John's truck pulled up outside my house and I could already hear yelling from inside. Luckily for me, John was oblivious to it.

"See you at school tomorrow?" he asked. I nodded, faking a smile and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Thanks for the ride home."

He grinned his crooked grin. "All for you, my Daisy. I love you."

"Love you too."

I made sure he had driven off before I opened the door to reveal the mess that was my family. My mother shoved a duffel bag into my arms and pushed me back out the door, slamming it behind us.

"Get in the car."

I threw the duffel bag onto the backseat and got in the passenger seat as she stomped on the accelerator and headed towards the freeway.

"Mom, where are we going?" I asked, my voice shaky.

She sniffed. "I don't know. But we're not coming back to Arizona."

We drove for days, staying in little hole-in-the-wall motels until we reached Boston. The one place my father said he would never go, even if it was an emergency.

My phone was past flat and in her hurry, my mother hadn't remembered to pack the charger. All things that tied us to Arizona were thrown away and I was forced to begin a new life.

* * * * *

All first days of school are daunting, especially in new places with no familiar faces. I had a brand new cell phone with the only number in it being my mom's. I didn't have anyone to talk to and I was aching to hear John's voice.

I bumped into someone as I was lost in my own thoughts. He glared at me, but softened his face as he saw how frightened I looked.

"Are you okay?"

I bit my lip. I was unsure of how to answer that.

"First day?" he asked again. I nodded this time, sure of my answer.

"It's okay, everyone is like that when they see how big this place is. Where you from anyway?"

My throat felt dry and closed up. "A-Arizona," I managed to choke out.

"Wow, you're pretty far from home. I'm Nick by the way." He stuck out his hand for me to shake. I just looked at it and he withdrew it awkwardly.

"Daisy."

"Daisy. It suits you. Come on, I'll show you around."

And that was how my friendship with Nick Santino began.

* * * * *

Nick was just older than me and once he turned 18, became addicted to covering his body in tattoos. He was playing in a band with some of his friends and thought it would get them more fans if he looked older. Of course, the day I turned 18 he was trying to convince me to get one as well.

"No."

"Come on, Daze," he begged, using the nickname only he could get away with, "I'll pay for it."

"I don't like the idea of someone jabbing needles into me repeatedly."

"Just something small. It doesn't have to mean anything."

"But I want it to mean something!"

"What about that guy you used to see back in Arizona?"

I thought about it. What was something that would always remind me of John?

An hour later I was walking out of the tattoo studio with a sore ribcage and black ink in my skin.

"Show me what you got," Nick demanded. I shook my head.

"I have to keep it covered for another hour."

Nick whined but drove me home, dropping me at the door.

Inscribed in the side of my body were the words 'All for you, my Daisy' in cursive ink with an outline of a cartoon-looking daisy next to them. John would always play with my name and only ever buy me daisies.

"Your name isn't Rose or Lily, so why would I bring you anything else?" he would joke. Secretly, it was also because his mom grew a lot of daisies and he didn't have to pay for them, but I loved the gesture nonetheless.

* * * * *

The summer after we graduated, Nick packed up all his things to head west.

"Do you know where you're going to go?" I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Anywhere I can find a new band. You know how serious I am about this." Nick's old band members had left and he was seeking new musicians for his band A Rocket To The Moon.

I pulled him into a tight hug. "Be careful, and don't forget to remember me when you're a big shot musician."

Nick chuckled. "I'll definitely be back. Might not be this summer, but as soon as I find a new band I'll be running straight back to you."

I scoffed. "Yeah right, you're going to have a million girls hanging off you and I won't be able to find you underneath the blonde hair and fake boobs."

Nick chuckled. "I'm gonna miss you this summer, Daisy."

I smiled wistfully. "I'm gonna miss you too."

He hugged me one last time before getting into his car, guitar in the backseat, and driving off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welcome to Dazey Records! If you liked it so far, please leave a comment, subscribe and recommend! xx